Nexus S MMS Pics are highly compressed/blurry??

Soundchuck12

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I bought my Nexus S earlier today and so far, the thing works beautifully. Very powerful, very quick and very sleek looking but I did notice one potential issue. When I receive MMS texts with an attached picture, the pic is highly compressed (more compressed then I ever saw on my Nexus One) and very blurry. Now I know that most MMS pics are compressed, but I can't even make out people's faces in the pics which I never saw happen with the N1. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue? Is there a setting that I am not seeing in the phone or are we being capped by T-Mobile? Is the phone flawed?

If this is the case, I may be returning the phone tomorrow.

I've attached the MMS pic I received to this post. It was compressed down to 3K at 80x120 resolution!!?? That is ridiculous!

Any answers or suggestions to this matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

-SoundChuck

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
This happens on new phones. T-Mobile has to fix something on their end. This has happened to me before, also on the unlocked iPhones.

Soundchuck12

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Response to Nexus S MMS Pics are highly compressed/blurry??

Here is a test I did where I had the exact same picture texted to my Nexus One and to my Nexus S. The results are as follows:

-Nexus One received MMS and downloaded image as 2560x1920 (916K) file.

-Nexus S received MMS and downloaded image as 160x120 (4K) file.

The below images clearly show that there is a difference in MMS image handling between the two devices. Is it really because the Nexus S is a "newer" device? If my older Nexus (which is having power button issues) can handle the MMS files better, than I may need to return the Nexus S.

tdoughone

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the Nexus S to and I am having the same problem. I tried changing the MMSC setting and I had no luck. I think it might have something to do with the proxy in the APN or I could be completely wrong. I already sold my Nexus One and now I am stuck. If there is no fix for this, I would have never sold my Nexus One. I hope later today someone can fix this. I want to know if there is anyone with a Nexus S that is not having this problem?

Last edited:

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I have bought countless unlocked phones over the years and T-Mobile has been my carrier for almost 8 years. I was always told by the tier III guys that it was a settings thing that had to do with how the phone communicated with T-Mobile.

As I said above back when the first iPhone came out and I believe also with the 3G and 3GS, my MMS's received were just like the above. I called in many times and was told the same thing. Eventually so many people starting using the iPhones on T-Mobiles network that they fixed it. For a while you had to jailbreak and use a special hack from Cydia.

Soundchuck12

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S MMS Issue

I have bought countless unlocked phones over the years and T-Mobile has been my carrier for almost 8 years. I was always told by the tier III guys that it was a settings thing that had to do with how the phone communicated with T-Mobile.

As I said above back when the first iPhone came out and I believe also with the 3G and 3GS, my MMS's received were just like the above. I called in many times and was told the same thing. Eventually so many people starting using the iPhones on T-Mobiles network that they fixed it. For a while you had to jailbreak and use a special hack from Cydia.

Hi Xm_jdm,

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm really looking for any answers on this issue and I appreciate any suggestions or answers that you've provided. I, too, have been with Tmobile for about 8 years now and I bought my Nexus one from a third party, unlocked. I've never had pic messages come out this bad in quality on my Nexus One. Even on my old crappy Razor Slider phone the pic messages looked better. If there is in fact a setting I should change you mentioned the tier III guys had brought up, do you know what that setting is? I'm going to give the phone a few more days, but if I don't see a solution, considering I text a lot of MMS messages daily, I may have to return it.

Thanks,
Charles

tdoughone

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I called Samsung customer service. They transferred me to a level 3 rep. The level 3 rep mms'd herself a pic and received it with poor quality. She notified her supervisor and told me she would call back. After an hour I called them back and said they just got an e-mail from their pm's. Its a confirmed issue. They said I was the only one that called and to tell more people to call. They are working on a fix for this now.

Last edited:

Soundchuck12

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S MMS Issue

I called Samsung customer service. They transferred me to a level 3 rep. The level 3 rep mms'd herself a pic and received it with poor quality. She notified her supervisor and told me she would call back. After an hour I called them back and said they just got an e-mail from their pm's. Its a confirmed issue. They said I was the only one that called and to tell more people to call. They are working on a fix for this now.

I'm calling them right now to report the issue. If they are going to fix this, I may hold on to the phone. If there are other Nexus S owners out there, I would follow suit and report the issue to Nexus, either by phone call or to their twitter support page.

Thanks,
Charles

Soundchuck12

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Customer Support regarding Nexus S MMS Issue

I just got off the phone with the Nexus S Tech Support and they confirmed with me that the phone has no settings to adjust the MMS quality. They said that this is an issue and that there is no plans for a fix since it is due to the phone's limitations. They acknowledged that the phone converts the MMS messages to "thumbnail" quality. Well, this is very disappointing since I really like everything about the phone except for this issue.

The question is for everyone, is this a deal breaker? Are you going to be returning your phone?

I think I am.

-Charles

tdoughone

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
They have not called me back but once they confirm no fix I will be returning this.I am upset because I sold my Nexus One already. Wish I didn't but I got a good deal for it. I was happy without a contact on T-Mobile. Now I have no choice but to return this. I can't imagine anyone keeping this phone with this issue if they cannot fix it. Google said they worked closely with Samsung on this phone. BS. Now I will have to get the my touch and root it. Gay... I was a loyal Android user. From G1 to N1 to NS now second guessing it all.

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Google sucks. Plain and simple. With this phone, they have made so many errors its ridiculous. seriously. How do they allow such a piece of crap to be their flagship phone?

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
One reason android will never have lines like the iphone. Google makes all these decisions that thinks will benefit the end user. When in reality they don't even THINK about the end user.

dude0909

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
google doesn't think about the end user? wow. what a statement to make about a completely open source company. You sir are being very irrational about this whole situation. Google is amazing and you should applaud them for what they are doing for you. people are *****ing over THIS? Wow. I'm sure there will be a fix sooner or later, no matter what some incompetent t mobile representative tells you. calm down. the phone has been out for a day.

Reactions: nickd0251

quixoticelixer

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

Damn dude! Was she cute? I wish I could call a random woman, start complaining about my phone, and then have her send me her picture. I'd probably have gotten charged with harassment. U SIR HAVE MAD SKILLS!!!

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I think this might be related to Android more than the phone itself. I had a Pre on Sprint and could send nice high quality pics through MMS. On my EVO 4G, the pictures are always compressed to less than 21k. :(

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Damn dude! Was she cute? I wish I could call a random woman, start complaining about my phone, and then have her send me her picture. I'd probably have gotten charged with harassment. U SIR HAVE MAD SKILLS!!!

"The level 3 rep mms'd herself a pic"

She didn't send HIM a pic.

Soundchuck12

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Another sample image from my Nexus S MMS messages

Here's another sample of what the MMS messages on my Samsung Nexus S look like. Pretty ****ty.

-Chuck

tdoughone

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes she did MMS herself lol. She did sound cute though lol. Dude this is a huge reason to be upset. MMSing is important. Did Google not MMS themselves with this phone before they decided to sell this thing. We are panicking because one of the users stated no fix. If there is non fix everyone is returning this phone. Crying or not, this is unacceptable. I am surprised there aren't a million more posts about this or nothing on engadet or Intomobile. They all reviewed the phone. What's the deal here?

tdoughone

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Here come all the dumb comments... people still use MMS? Come on man. No way you don't. Wtf? Yes we know we have f*ing Gmail MMS is more convenient for people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463