1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default GPS issues with your new Nexus S? Post em here!

Starting to get a little more disappointed with my Nexus S, I am on a trip right now and the GPS is so erratic, one minute it will go out in the middle of town, the next it gets a lock in the middle of no where. Anyone else, report your issues. Takes about an entire 2 minutes to get a lock.

Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10

ROM
    CM7 Nightlies

No problems here.

Zero issues for me. I get nearly instant locks with spot on accuracy.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Have you guys tried moving in like s car? I was sitting in my bed room and got an instant lock, doesn't mean it is consistantly stable, who knows... maybe there really isn't much GPS coverage in different areas. It did work without a hitch last time.

Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Smokexz View Post
    Starting to get a little more disappointed with my Nexus S, I am on a trip right now and the GPS is so erratic, one minute it will go out in the middle of town, the next it gets a lock in the middle of no where. Anyone else, report your issues. Takes about an entire 2 minutes to get a lock.

Sent from my Nexus S
    You have to keep in mind though that GPS doesn't work like a cell phone signal. Theoretically the further out in the middle of nowhere you are, the stronger your GPS signal should be. Things like buildings and a lot of other air interference can actually screw up a GPS lock.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I understand this, but it is just so random. I am in the middle of Miami and I could lose it, yet when I start to go to the interstate, it jumps back and forth. I know everyone taps on "my location" done, see it locked me down in a half a second, yet no one tries to actually travel with it.
    EDIT: By the way, I an still not completely ruling out that my location just has bad GPS reception, I am just being a lot more optimistic, my Galaxy S had trouble pinning me down on this trip as well, I had the stock froyo build(it hadn't failed me before so it is most likely my location was too bad)

Sent from my Nexus S
    Low

Default gps works

sorry mines work great
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think it works great, but I think I was just too far off, really it works great now, but during the trip, on and off... it was kind of weird. I suppose I was over reacting... mainly because I was angry that it wouldn't work correctly in the area I was in.

Default No you're not overreacting

Quote Originally Posted by Smokexz View Post
    I think it works great, but I think I was just too far off, really it works great now, but during the trip, on and off... it was kind of weird. I suppose I was over reacting... mainly because I was angry that it wouldn't work correctly in the area I was in.
    The phone gets a lock quicker than the other Galaxy S phones, but it blows compared to any other android phone or the iphone. Slow and erratic.

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Mine was great this morning on the commute. Though N1 seems a bit faster to get a position lock
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by scaots View Post
    Mine was great this morning on the commute. Though N1 seems a bit faster to get a position lock
    I agree with this... it takes a bit to lock on.

Sent from my Nexus S
    Low

sorry you need to call tech support ,because mine works perfecttoee

Sorry to say, or maybe I am happy to say, I have no issues. In fact it locks on faster than my N1. I went on a drive earlier today and tested it out. No drop outs, no issues. I am quite pleased as I was a bit concerned.

Mine gets stuck when launching the navigation app. It gets stuck on "checking for navigation availability" ...**** you Samsung!

ROM
    MIUI 1.4.8 & Netarchy NS

It seems my car is made of titanium or lead, blocking any signal from making it out. Or, the gps struggles to connect and once connected, struggles to stay. My N1 would sometimes take long to connect, but once it was on.. it was on. The Nexus S has not met my desires yet. Almost similar to my handheld gps from 6 years ago..

Edit:
    After reading y'alls.. I must be one of the few with issues. This is disappointing, will call Samsung soon.
    @miniZtv

Have Owned:
    T-Mobile G1
    Motorola Cliq
    Nexus One
    Nexus S

I just got my Nexus S tonight.

Tried to do the navigation app inside my house right next to my bedroom window, and it kept saying Searching for GPS Signal....

ROM
    CM7 Nightly

I don't have any problems checking in on Foursquare. I haven't tried using the turn by turn directions on Navigation yet.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

I've had no problems on foursquare or maps with it finding my location.

Yea I have no problem it finding my location when I am home, it shows my home location. However the city widget sometimes is off. Other than that, I just have problems w/ the navigation app saying Searching for GPS nonstop
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Quote Originally Posted by Aria807 View Post
    Yea I have no problem it finding my location when I am home, it shows my home location. However the city widget sometimes is off. Other than that, I just have problems w/ the navigation app saying Searching for GPS nonstop
    Yeah that Happens sometimes. If you are in the city it is usually because the buildings and it can't get a good grasp on your location. But out in the country with no buildings the GPS is GREAT!

Default Re: GPS issues with your new Nexus S? Post em here!

Since I bought it a couple of months ago the behavior of my Nexus S GPS has been erratic to say the least. I have tried it in multiple trips and almos never was able to follow me the whole time. In most of the trips it did not lock my location or when it did it was too broad and it would lose the signal often.
    It has proven to be useless for navigation purposes.