Nexus S v. IPhone 4 dogfight Part 1

Dexter73

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the Nexus S is the best phone on the market right now. I think the fact that this phone was modeled after the Galaxy S phones is good because Samsung learned from the mistakes they made with the Galaxy S phones. I owned the Nexus One and thought that it was a great phone. Google and HTC started from scratch so there were more glitches and bugs as a result. The Incredible, Desire and Evolution did not have the touch screen issues because HTC learned from their mistakes.

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
he mentions how the iphone has an ecosystem
only thing is that ecosysystem costs alot of money
if i had done my stuff i did with android market apps in the apple ecosystem it would have been around $250
ill take the free route

and the cameras are dead heat but he put the iphone ahead and never checked front facing camera and video chat

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Simply put, Android isn't as simplistic as iPhone, but I know children who know how to use it. The matter is though, that iPhone will always have that "quality" apple stamp( quote because the screens are garbage and the screen loosens after use). The best apps because Apple approves, the best accessories because, Apple approves, and the best sales because of this "stamp". In the end, Apple has the worst apps due to lack of developer tools and contact, the worst accessories due to a bad design, and a saddening reputation that it will never live up to( faulty proximity sensor, broken antenna, and poor customer support). Android has a multitude of designs and accessories, and the name is all on the manufacturer. IPhone is set out as this amazing thing, it finally does something and people are ****ting bricks, Android has done multi tasking for years, yet everyone cares one this little toy finally gets it. Android has had Skyfire for a while, just now people are greatful because it has "flash", Android has embed flash. Android has had backgrounds, since launch. Everyone busts a nut when this little toy gets a past generation update, while Android is always innovating every single day. IPhone is just pop culture, and we can never, sadly, kill pop culture. We hate Justin Bieber, he is still famous, we hate Tiger Woods, yet he is still playing golf, and we hate Steve Jobs, yet he continues to release garbage smartphones. No matter how many people say the iPhone is bad, there will be a group of a thousand hipsters tweeting the hell out of you: "You're wrong, you conformist". We can only make Android something even more popular to see if people won't call it a Droid anymore. End rant.

Sent from my Nexus S

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
exactly I agree you won't be able to kill the I phone becausr it is in pop culture and just that it says apple makes it popular that's something they have over android.that little apple makes it million times more popular and wanted. If the android phones had an apple on it it would be just as popular and wanted

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If Steve Jobs made an Android device with an Apple sticker on it, even if it was terrible and slow, he would still sell millions.

Sent from my Nexus S

Dexter73

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Android phones are a great product it is a shame they are not marketed as well as the IPhone. I just wish Samsung, Motorola and HTC highlighted the great features of Android phones such as true multitasking, free voice navigation, WIFI hotspots and tethering as well as the ability to customize your phone. The voice search features on Android are state of the art and should be marketed as such. If people saw Google Maps 5 in a commercial it would blow them away. Google and the phone manufacturer need to do a better job marketing the phones.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon got the iPhone in the form of a iPhone 3g it would still outsell the Droid
One: Verizon signed with Motorola so this might never happen
Two: If this ever happened, Verizon will treat the iPhone like they did the Fascinate, "this is another phone we have" they will be forced to recommend Droid line devices.
Three: IF has been a question people asked since the year the toy came out. It might never happen, Apple went to Verizon FIRST, the way Apple wanted to handle the revenue was not flowing correctly with Verizon, so they said no.

Sent from my Nexus S

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Simply put, Android isn't as simplistic as iPhone, but I know children who know how to use it. The matter is though, that iPhone will always have that "quality" apple stamp( quote because the screens are garbage and the screen loosens after use). The best apps because Apple approves, the best accessories because, Apple approves, and the best sales because of this "stamp". In the end, Apple has the worst apps due to lack of developer tools and contact, the worst accessories due to a bad design, and a saddening reputation that it will never live up to( faulty proximity sensor, broken antenna, and poor customer support). Android has a multitude of designs and accessories, and the name is all on the manufacturer. IPhone is set out as this amazing thing, it finally does something and people are ****ting bricks, Android has done multi tasking for years, yet everyone cares one this little toy finally gets it. Android has had Skyfire for a while, just now people are greatful because it has "flash", Android has embed flash. Android has had backgrounds, since launch. Everyone busts a nut when this little toy gets a past generation update, while Android is always innovating every single day. IPhone is just pop culture, and we can never, sadly, kill pop culture. We hate Justin Bieber, he is still famous, we hate Tiger Woods, yet he is still playing golf, and we hate Steve Jobs, yet he continues to release garbage smartphones. No matter how many people say the iPhone is bad, there will be a group of a thousand hipsters tweeting the hell out of you: "You're wrong, you conformist". We can only make Android something even more popular to see if people won't call it a Droid anymore. End rant.

Sent from my Nexus S

While I do like Android, I think saying the iPhone is "crap" is a bit of a stretch. The iPhone does what Apple wants it to do and it does them well. Apple set out to give users a very simple, very to use, very familiar interface, and they achieved that. Even Steve Jobs himself has come out and said that the iPhone may not have everything that people want, and there always is Android.

As far as Flash goes, that's kind of a dead horse. It's well known that the iPhone will never, ever get Flash because for some reason, Jobs hates it. I'm not defending that view point at all, because it annoys me on a daily basis. However, Jobs never once danced around the issue, in his defense. It was pretty much always point blank, as far as I can remember, that the iPhone won't ever get Flash support. At D8, he even mentioned how Apple created a curated platform. Meaning that while not everything is accepted, most are. This platform was designed so that developers can't alter the dead simple UI they were going for. Once again, there are days were this annoys me greatly (hence, why I want to switch to android).

As far as build quality goes, I have never heard of, or have experienced and iPhone with a "garbage or loose screen". Granted, the screens on the iPhone 3GS and prior weren't the nicest resolutions, but I would say they are far from crap. As for the iPhone 4, quite frankly, I think it's the best screen I have ever used. The screen is extremely bright, and colors look beautiful. Getting back to overall build quality, I have owned quite a few iPhones, and have dropped all of them with the exception of my iPhone 4 and can report with 100% honesty that they survived the falls. I even dropped my 3GS on the bare concrete without a case without so much as a nick from a waist height drop.

Now let's move on to proximity sensor/antenna issues. This topic never gets old, here we go. To start the proximity issue, for the most part, was software. I have owned two iPhone 4's, neither of them had it. However my friend's iPhone 4 was affected by the issue and once he updated to 4.2, it was fine. Next, we'll move on to antenna issues. As far as I can tell, it was mostly a problem based on people covering it with their hand, and poor design. It's a pretty stupid design, putting an antenna where people are obviously going to be placing their hands. However, with most phones I have owned, covering the antenna caused poor signal. So to say this is an incident isolated to only the iPhone is moronic. That said, I can report that if I hold that antenna while on a call, the signal does drop, but the quality of the call hasn't. My first iPhone had a dead pixel, Apple exchanged it, no charge. Every company produces faulty products from time to time.

That brings me to the next thing you mentioned "apple has Sh***y customer service. Whenever I have had a issue, they have either fixed or exchanged my products free of charge.

This post wasn't to defend Apple or the iPhone. I did however have to clear up some things. I believe that both Apple and Google release good products, as well as some of the OEM's that adopt Android. HTC makes really awesome Android phones, and if ATT ever gets a good one (evo spec'd or better) I will buy it launch day. I really like Android, and I can't wait to get a Android phone.

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
One: Verizon signed with Motorola so this might never happen
Two: If this ever happened, Verizon will treat the iPhone like they did the Fascinate, "this is another phone we have" they will be forced to recommend Droid line devices.
Three: IF has been a question people asked since the year the toy came out. It might never happen, Apple went to Verizon FIRST, the way Apple wanted to handle the revenue was not flowing correctly with Verizon, so they said no.

Sent from my Nexus S

If iPhone ever comes to Verizon (even though I think it may not) a ton of Android users will get the Verizon iPhone. I've been reading this forum and a few others and a big majority of smartphone users on Verizon SETTLED for an Android or BlackBerry phone. They didn't chose Android or BlackBerry, but they settled for it.

They didn't chose that device because it was better than iPhone, or because of its specs, or its OS, or because of this or that, but because they couldn't (wouldn't) switch to AT&T, so they settled for the next thing they could find with Verizon, in this case being Android or BlackBerry phones.

We should put up a poll asking current Verizon Android and BlackBerry users whether they would get an iPhone if it ever comes to Verizon, then we could discuss this issue. There have been a ton of surveys in recent months where users responded that they would switch to a Verizon iPhone if they could.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
If iPhone ever comes to Verizon (even though I think it may not) a ton of Android users will get the Verizon iPhone. I've been reading this forum and a few others and a big majority of smartphone users on Verizon SETTLED for an Android or BlackBerry phone. They didn't chose Android or BlackBerry, but they settled for it.

They didn't chose that device because it was better than iPhone, or because of its specs, or its OS, or because of this or that, but because they couldn't (wouldn't) switch to AT&T, so they settled for the next thing they could find with Verizon, in this case being Android or BlackBerry phones.

We should put up a poll asking current Verizon Android and BlackBerry users whether they would get an iPhone if it ever comes to Verizon, then we could discuss this issue. There have been a ton of surveys in recent months where users responded that they would switch to a Verizon iPhone if they could.

I chose my Droid X over the iPhone. I was with att and had an iPhone but I switched to Verizon so I could get a Droid. My Droid X is definitely better in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret