keep Nexus S or switch

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have to say ...before I make my own post I so like this phone a lot...but I don't love it. I get the feeling a lot feel that way. It is missing HD, Now I find it has NO zoom.

I did see that vignette works for the flash problem..I tried it and it has one
...sort of. U zoom,.I can't see the pic until after taking the pic

So my basic 2 ?'s are
1. Is there a zoom where I can see the pic while I zoom before I take the pic?

2. If I go get the EVO again (that is the best 4.3"??) Am I gonna regret it. Some dogfights have the nexus beating the nexus doesn't it. I won't be able to, with it being cdma able to unlock and sell and get the newest phones every 6 months would I ?? What to do. I actually need someone to help saying something like.
.stick with the nexus I will always be ahead of the evolution software wise- just go get a flash. Please help

With regards to the iPhone 4 vs dogfight they gave it ever so slightly to the iOS because of what he said was an ecosystem. He said it had to do with being able to go right in and download mp3 from iTunes. Well, can't we go in and download from many apps, Amazon mp3 as one example.

Can u explain. Was he right. Anyone.know the writer--is he typically iphone biased.

Thanks for your support and help

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Of course you can just use amazon to get your music, so he was wrong on that. In fact android is better cause everything happens over the air, where apple you need to sync with a computer. Android is truly stand alone, it IS your computer.

What that review meant was apple built up an impressive Eco system of apps and games, which is true. But android started later and caught up very close and may soon surpass it.

The evo has a very weak graphics chip compared to the nexus s, so games won't be nearly as good and smooth etc. Nexus s is the better device.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
ThanksRoger. I asked u to look at this in the other post and u already had. LOL.

I think overnight just needed my thoughts validated. I am afraid overnight will miss out on the .3" larger screen or their 4g or hd video or, now overnight see overnight have
No zoom

Do you have an answer to the zoom question?

I hope. U and Droid have been very helpful so far. How do u like urs? What are ur favorite 5 Apps for example?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I hope. U and Droid have been very helpful so far. How do u like urs? What are ur favorite 5 Apps for example?

Hey eric , im going to assume you are reffering to me , so thanks :) ..... so here's the thing about the Nexus S, it wasnt exactly meant for the everyday user if you notice it doesnt have removeable SD card and it has decent specs but not the next generation specs...... It was meant more for the development community to use to develop apps and have a phone free from manufacturer or carrier add ons. Carriers usually look for phones with alot of extras like real high spec cameras and what not to entice the customer....but with the Nexus S google was not so concerned with Media type things like how great your camera is or how much music you can store, hence the lack of removeable storage and zoom in the camera.

Now with that being said i dont want you to be discouraged the phone you have is top notch, i have the Fascinate which is great but if Nexus came to verizon i may just switch. I dont know if the zoom this is a hardware limitation or a software limitation but the best person to ask is Jerry.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/members/gbhil.html
if its a software thing im sure that there is an answer or one is coming.

either way good luck buddy

Reactions: prissysox

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a whole post tight but I lost it because the phone shut off because the battery was 0 lol.

I appreciate your help I know I have a great phone I will contact jerry

I also.saw a dogfight where the nexus s beat the evolution
I also feel better because I know I can't go to sprint or verizon and buy and sell phones by unlocking them every time a new phone. Comes out.

I will keep the phone and stay with t-mobile

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the Nexus S for 7 days and returned it and
reversed the two year contract.
I was pretty disappointed overall with it.
I have a Nexus One and the Nexus S wasnt a huge upgrade
over the N1.
I now have the MyTouch 4G now (Craigslist), and although I dont like a lot
of the bloatware TMO put on top of the stock Android,
I've downloaded Skyfire browser and the rest I'll live with.
Because the MT4G IMHO is the best phone out for T-Mobile right now.
I had a G2 right before the NS.

I've used the wifi hotspot on the N1, NS, G2, and MT4G and the
the pages load 5 to 10 times faster on the MT4G hotspot than any
of the other phones I've tried. (Tampa area)

;)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion, the Nexus S is the best Android phone made (for now). Within 3 hours of getting it, I had it unlocked, set my own startup routine to mount the storage and manage memory -- easily getting 50% more performance from it, and had Linux booting from the storage.

And 2 hours later, had it back to stock so I could review it. As is it's the smoothest and fastest Android phone to date, but that's it. If you have no desire to really mess with the system and hack the daylights out of it, get a different phone -- you'll be happier.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I had the Nexus S for 7 days and returned it and
reversed the two year contract.
I was pretty disappointed overall with it.
I have a Nexus One and the Nexus S wasnt a huge upgrade
over the N1.
I now have the MyTouch 4G now (Craigslist), and although I dont like a lot
of the bloatware TMO put on top of the stock Android,
I've downloaded Skyfire browser and the rest I'll live with.
Because the MT4G IMHO is the best phone out for T-Mobile right now.
I had a G2 right before the NS.

I've used the wifi hotspot on the N1, NS, G2, and MT4G and the
the pages load 5 to 10 times faster on the MT4G hotspot than any
of the other phones I've tried. (Tampa area)

;)

See there you go makes our point exactly, Nexus S is Like buying the Stripped down bare bones Rally car, its built for Speed, in this case Speed being Software. Yeah its great to look at but mostly is there to be a modifying machine..

When other phones are built for luxuary with seat warmers, Vanity mirrow, cup holders, little wipers on the windshield. Sure they go fast and look sexy. but god forbid you want to change something. its a pain cause you have to order parts straight from italy....

ok lol so this was a horrible metaphor but you get the picture.... i hope

cesarb

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Does the unlocked lock show up after you unlock the bootloader to root the phone during start-up?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
To answer #1 please view my thread Nexus S answers. Click it on my signature. Also for #2 I say stick with the Nexus S. You will get all the updates first. You never know HTC might not give the Evo all the updates but you know the Nexus S will get them all. Look at the Nexus One it is a year old and still very popular and still getting all the updates. That is how the Nexus S is going to be, but look at a lot of the phones that came out when the N1 did some of them are through and no more updates for them. Tell me if this helps. Thank me if it does.

cesarb

May 20, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion, the Nexus S is the best Android phone made (for now). Within 3 hours of getting it, I had it unlocked, set my own startup routine to mount the storage and manage memory -- easily getting 50% more performance from it, and had Linux booting from the storage.

And 2 hours later, had it back to stock so I could review it. As is it's the smoothest and fastest Android phone to date, but that's it. If you have no desire to really mess with the system and hack the daylights out of it, get a different phone -- you'll be happier.

Hey now that you've had the Nexus S for a while.. Is it a good upgrade coming from the Nexus One? I really want to get the phone I have played with it @ best buy and it's very fast and the screen is just gorgeous just wanted your to know what you think coming from a Nexus One also...

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I actually love it as a whole. I love all that it is and can be. But I don't like (in a much lesser degree) that which it doesn't have...I.e. zoom, hd video

T-mo is really great. Not sure if they r afraid Of losing Customers but I told them I may have made a mistake with the nexus and was looking at the evo so they gave me a full discount on the my touch 4 g again. Nice. I will have two of the best songs out now and I just left before a long time.

sherifone

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
For the new user on T-Mobile, I would honestly recommend the MyTouch 4G.

It has a dedicated camera key, touch to focus/white balance and zoom in the excellent camera app. Wifi calling is built into the firmware, and has some good video calling options already.

Now, if you feel that you're going to become an advanced user and start hacking away on the device the Nexus S cannot be beat, since it can be "easily" modified to your liking. Personally I like the Nexus since I like a clean user experience, but I can't deny the build quality and ease of use the MyTouch 4G provides.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
For the new user on T-Mobile, I would honestly recommend the MyTouch 4G.

It has a dedicated camera key, touch to focus/white balance and zoom in the excellent camera app. Wifi calling is built into the firmware, and has some good video calling options already.

Now, if you feel that you're going to become an advanced user and start hacking away on the device the Nexus S cannot be beat, since it can be "easily" modified to your liking. Personally I like the Nexus since I like a clefonean user experience, but I can't deny the build quality and ease of use the MyTouch 4G provides.

Thank u sherifone. Nice reply. I may have said I ended.up getting both. Now I have never hacked. Now I can't afford anything to go wrong cause it does void the warranty. I hear mixed things about that. But also I don't know how.

So I would like to.learn but the warranty and know how impede

Can u or anyone offer knowledge with respect to those issues. Like how.to learn. Or even, I'd u can't afford to.end up with a brick don't do it.

Bit the reason I do like the nexus is like a previous.poster said- Nexus and Google branded. Updates asap. I had to.deal with the lack of certain hardware but no longer having the 4g too

Thanks
Eric

sifriheavy

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

how do u do all of this? I really want to know.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
how do u do all of this? I really want to know.

1. Unpack the boot image
2. Edit the lowmemkiller defaults, giving less priority to dead processes and killing them quicker. You'll need the RAM later
3. Edit the fstab, removing some of Google safe mount options. While safer in theory, it's not very practical to throttle I/O reads twice unless you're keeping data you can't replace on your phone. You're not.
4. Edit the init script, pointing to a folder you can run your own start-up scripts from.
5. Repack the boot image, and boot with it to test. If all is well, flash it.
6. create a script that mounts the data sandbox for the apps you use most as a temp file system on your RAM. As long as you have 45-50 free RAM, your phone won't slow down, regardless of what people try to tell you. Edits to the lowmemkiller settings can safely keep you over 200 MB free, so you have a lot of room to play with. I/O on these apps is now just about instant. The rest of the apps still have a much faster i/o speed because of the edits to the fstab.
7. Now create a script that unmounts the tempfs mounts you created in in step 6, and writes any data in the buffer back to disk in the correct spot. You need to do this to play very heavy 3D games.

Play around with step 6 and 7, and once you have it figured out, drop the script from step 6 into the folder that runs scripts at boot. Your phone is blazing fast, using the stock kernel and firmware.

BIG WARNING --
these are the kinds of mods that can kill your phone, and I have dead phones here to prove it :) But once you have it figured out, it's worth it so you can geek out over your phone.

Reactions: sifriheavy

thatharlemkat

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I lost my Nexus One in a cab while visiting family in NYC during the Christmas holiday (Engraved Garry J Murray on back) Anyway, I figured to make the most of my misfortune by replacing it with a Nexus S "upgrade" I went into Best Buy and had my first up close, hands on with the device and changed my mind. It is a light, plastic, cheap feeling phone. No HSPA+ (4G), NO SD memory, No deal!. It just reminded me of my sister's galaxy S. I instead went to T-mobile and picked up the finely designed, well crafted HTC G2. A beautiful phone that more closely resembles the Nexus One than the Nexus S does. Feature rich, wi-fi calling, mobile hotspot, 4G, physical keyboard, can expand to 32 GB. Best decision I could have made. I really WANTED to like the Nexus S, it just fell short in my opinion.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I would switch. The Nexus S isn't meant for general consumers who just want a good working, easy to use smartphone. If you want to pay $580 for a few updates then be my guest. Just know that my myTouch 4G is already running stock gingerbread and its 100% stable. IMO the pricetag just isn't worth it, the Nexus S is more expensive than most smartphones out there but gives you less features. If the Nexus S was cheaper I really wouldn't have a problem with it, but its missing so many things that it is a problem.

Just because its a developer phone doesn't mean its worth it. I'm not paying that much money just to get 3 small updates and 1 big update if we're lucky. I'm not sure why Google skimped on this phone, it makes no sense. They had it right with the Nexus One but went the complete opposite direction.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk