How much memory for apps?

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been unable to get a clear answer on how much memory is available for apps on the S. The specs state 512MB, but I saw a youtube demo of the S and I saw in the memory status much more than that.
Can someone answer this for me?
(My N1 is always getting a low memory alert)

Thanks

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I've been unable to get a clear answer on how much memory is available for apps on the S. The specs state 512MB, but I saw a youtube demo of the S and I saw in the memory status much more than that.
Can someone answer this for me?
(My N1 is always getting a low memory alert)

Thanks

The Nexus S has 512 MB of RAM, which is different. RAM is memory for actually running apps and the operating system itself (essentially, the more RAM, the more applications you can have running at once).

It however has 16 GB of internal storage, for actually downloading and storing applications. So to answer your question, it has 16GB of space available for app storage.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
OK, so this sounds like an improvement from the N1. I have to UNINSTALL an app in order to free up more memory - irregardless if the app is actually running or not.
It also sounds like the S is making the entire 16GB'a available for apps like the iPhone does - is that correct?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
OK, so this sounds like an improvement from the N1. I have to UNINSTALL an app in order to free up more memory - irregardless if the app is actually running or not.
It also sounds like the S is making the entire 16GB'a available for apps like the iPhone does - is that correct?

From my understanding yes. Minus the space you lose from formatting and that stuff, the entire space is there for app and file storage (pictures, music, etc).

Edit: I just checked Wikipedia. The internal storage is partitioned. 1GB is for internal, the remaining 15 is for USB storage. I assume (Jerry or someone else can confirm this) that by default your apps will save to that 1GB partitioned for internal storage, but you should also have an option to save and/or move apps to the 15GB of "USB Storage".

pathfinder3

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
If you navigate to Settings>Applications>Storage use on either Downloaded or All tabs, you will notice on the bottom (Internal storage) it'll say what's used and free.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Thnaks for the info. Obviously the 1GB is better than the 512MB I suffer with now. But, I wish they didn't partition it at all and let the phone use all 16GB

gbpal

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well when at the home screen hit menu>manage apps then go to the USB storage tab, you can click the apps in the list and then an option to "move to USB storage". I've noticed however that social apps (fb,twitter) do not show up but a lot of apps/games that I have have been moved to the bigger USB storage. And at the bottom it shows I'm using 314mb and have 13gb free.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Okay I went to Menu> Settings> Storage and saw that in the total space it says 13.31GB isn't there supposed to be 16GB or at least something closer to that. 3GB is a lot of space that ig is missing from the phone. Is this right or what. Do I need to take it back and get another Nexus S. HELP!