Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I got the same response:

@GalaxySsupport: Hi Andrew. We've been unable to replicate this behavior. Perhaps an app is interfering. You could try a hard reset then add (cont)

@GalaxySsupport: back apps one-by-one. Furthermore, I can't really speculate on the phone's behavior as I can only support its use in the US. ^Mary

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Report to Google :

I find it highly unlikely that this is an app issue, esp given the number of reports on here. If it's a common fault with Galaxy S devices then that would suggest a common hardware problem.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

I haven't had this since I did the factory reset (I haven't quite installed all the apps I had before), but I am monitoring it and slowly restoring the apps I had before.

When it did happen, it was the first calls I had made on the device, soon after applying the OTA.

Bluetooth: Off.
    Wifi: On, but not connected.
    GPS: On, but not connected.
    Google Voice: Not available in the UK (Skype was installed however - I haven't reinstalled it yet).

I was walking at the time, but all the test calls I have made since have been whilst walking too.

Network: HSDPA (Vodafone UK SIM) - I will test a call on the same route I was walking when it first happened this evening.
    Last edited by Grimmy; 01-04-2011 at 10:39 AM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

Quote Originally Posted by iandouglas View Post
    And almost always, these spontaneous reboots seem to have trouble reading "USB Storage" afterward, for finding photos/music.
    Maybe a coincidence, but I previously had moved all compatible apps to the USB storage, Since the Factory Reset, I haven't done this.

If I can get all my apps restored without the reboot occurring during a call, I'll start trying to move them to USB Storage.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

Okay: took the same route home tonight and made the same call as in the first two reboots. Worked fine. I checked the network status at about the same place as the first reboot and noticed it was using Edge. It is possible that the signal type changed during the call.

For now, it looks like my factory reset has solved the problem, but I will continue to add stuff and try the same call each day.

Notable apps I haven't reinstalled yet are Skype and LauncherPro. I have the full list in app brain, I'll update this post with a link to that when I get home.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

The reboot issue was reported to Google. Please add your comment and Star it to help escalate the acknowledge of the problem.

Bump. Had it happen to me the first time last night. Hopefully just a software issue......
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

Quote Originally Posted by denis_y_s View Post
    The reboot issue was reported to Google. Please add your comment and Star it to help escalate the acknowledge of the problem.

This issue has been rejected:

Although the Nexus One and Nexus S run pure Android, this issue tracker is not the place to report bugs for these devices. I am going to continue posting updates to this issue on the Google Mobile forum here:

Fortunately I still haven't had the issue since I factory reset.

Edit:

And...... it's opened again.
    Last edited by Grimmy; 01-11-2011 at 07:48 AM.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

"Ry Guy has posted an answer to the question "Nexus S Random reboots:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your many useful reports. We are getting close to tracking down the root cause of the reboots during calls and are currently testing a fix to resolve the issue.

I'll come back to keep you informed once we know more."

I had a pretty interesting reboot situation yesterday. I tried calling someone and they were engaged, so I ended the call and locked my phone. Five minutes later I got my phone out of my pocket to make another call, and the screen wouldn't power up...but the call from five minutes before was still going. After prodding the power button for a few seconds the phone rebooted.

Samsung have really out done themselves with this one. I hope this is a software and not hardware issue...

Also:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

Romain Guy has posted an update to this on the Google Help forum

The initial results of our tests look very promising. At this rate we will most likely be rolling out an OTA to resolve this issue within one to two weeks. We really appreciate your patience as we do our final verifications on this fix before sending it out.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Okay: took the same route home tonight and made the same call as in the first two reboots. Worked fine. I checked the network status at about the same place as the first reboot and noticed it was using Edge. It is possible that the signal type changed during the call.
    Its supposed to if you're not using data. T-mobile's voice calls are not sent over 3G, so the phone's software will automatically boot the signal type down to EDGE or even GPRS (I've seen that more than once) to save power.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

Except I'm in the UK on Vodafone. VodafoneUK's calls do go over UTMS where available (which is most of the time here in London).

You can find out what network type you are in during a call by going to Settings > About Phone > Status. My mobile network type is usually UTMS during a call (which is when you get the 3G icon if there is a data connection).

They need to roll it out ASAP. I had the phone reset 3 times in a row the 2nd week of ownership. I factory reset and had no problems until 2 days ago and since then I've had 6 resets. Its ridiculous.

I'm going to do another factory reset tonight but first I want to make sure I wont lose any of the paid apps I have on the phone. They store to my Gmail account, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralTula View Post
    I'm going to do another factory reset tonight but first I want to make sure I wont lose any of the paid apps I have on the phone. They store to my Gmail account, right?
    Correct. You can reinstall paid apps; they are linked to the GMail account you used. Your app's data will be lost, though. So your high score in Fruit Ninja will be lost (Unless the app lets you back it up, of course).
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

Yeah, if you are anything like me, and have ten-gazillion apps, make sure you are near your wifi connection when you do the wipe, as it will start to download them all for you automatically. (It will also restore your Wifi settings).
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

Sounds like the 2.3.3 update should fix this issue:

I'm very glad we can finally provide an OTA update to address the reboot issue. The team worked really hard to get this and a bunch of other stuff fixed (while adding some cool new NFC capabilities). Thanks for gutting this one out with us, your patience is very much appreciated.

If you experience any problems with Android 2.3.3, please post the issue to a separate thread.

-Ry Guy

i only had this problem a few times but im glad its over with. im very happy with how fast updates get pushed to the nexus s. i had 1 real update for my eris when i had that at launch

Quote Originally Posted by dadds27 View Post
    i only had this problem a few times but im glad its over with. im very happy with how fast updates get pushed to the nexus s. i had 1 real update for my eris when i had that at launch
    So did the 2.3.3 update fix the issue with "the amazing rebooting NS"? I still have no OTA 2.3.3. update.

My NS has started rebooting, 6 times in the last 24hrs. No new software installed.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

Haven't had any reboots since I manually installed the 2.3.3. update.

There is a small issue with the 3G icon sometimes appearing when the Wifi is connected but otherwise I'm happy with the update.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12