Rooting w/ No Custom ROM - can you increase internal app storage partition space?

myke115

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I have a Nexus S. Came from an iphone 4. I like the opensource aspects of Android and use Google apps extensively.

My only issue with Android phones is it seems that no matter which one, the space is pretty limited for apps. It would be different if more programmers allowed their apps to be moved with apps2sd but a large amount do not.

So here's my question: if I root the phone, giving super use access, but do not really want a custom ROM, will I have the ability to repartition giving additional space for apps internally? I'd like about 3gb out of the space. Yes, I know most will say you'll never use that much but this is personal preference. I simply don't want the limitations I have now.

How do I add space to the internal partition without adding a custom ROM so I can receive OTA updates directly from Google since this is the "Google Experience" in full phone?

Any help would be appreciated.

anon(116541)

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering the same thing as you. I have over 6GB of free space on my internal storage that I plan to use for applications and such. All my pictures, video and music reside on my SD card and I plan to leave them there, but I'd love to have my apps all install and run from the internal storage. Hope someone has a viable solution.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
If you're root, you can repartition the internal storage any way you like, and mount the /data/app/ directory anywhere. And since the internal storage is fast on the Nexus S, you'll see no performance decrease.

The joy of having a phone that isn't hardware locked, versus having to comply with what the manufacturer wants you to have.