Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Samsung Nexus S or Samsung Infuse 4g

I was going to get the Nexus S but the Samsung Infuse 4g seems to beat it hands down minus the NFC.

Any thoughts?

For me the 4.5 screen creates too big of a device, but some might like it. I also prefer the contoured look of the nexus vs the blocky appearance of the infuse. Also, no gingerbread on the infuse. Those things for me outweigh having a 4g radio.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I currently have the HTC desire and wouldn't mind having a larger screen. The a 1.2GHz single-core Hummingbird processor catches my eye, but is it just an over-clocked Hummingbird processor we all know. If it is it will probably kill battery life and over heat. The HSPA+ 4G isn't really 4G, in Canada it is called 3G+. AT&t and T-Mo just like to used "4G" to help it sell.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I just saw the HUGE slew of devices announced, I was considering it but I remembered why I purchashed this device, I was the first with Gingerbread and I will be the first with Honeycomb, it won't die off, because I will be the first one with the next firmware. When Samsung released the Galaxy S line, no one knew if they would update it. Right now, this Fuse is their top priority, who knows if they will update that too? Just because its knewer, doesn't make it better, I would have a Nexus One over that device, its more pocketable, small. In the end, hardware means nothing without great software. I assure you Samsung will do something to screw up the Fuse, maybe add that RIF file system they used on the Galaxy S line that slowed them down like crazy.
    Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10

Personally, the most exciting thing announced so far are the battery specs. I'm reading 1900+ mAh. I hope there are plans for official Samsung 1900+ mAh batteries that can be used with the Nexus S; can you imagine how much longer it could last?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
    Personally, the most exciting thing announced so far are the battery specs. I'm reading 1900+ mAh. I hope there are plans for official Samsung 1900+ mAh batteries that can be used with the Nexus S; can you imagine how much longer it could last?
    where are you finding 1900 mAh battery info for the infuse.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycop View Post
    where are you finding 1900 mAh battery info for the infuse.
    Not for the Infuse, but for the Motorola dual-core phone. I hope (and predict?) Samsung will produce similar spec-ed batteries. I'm just hoping they'll also make ones to buy for other devices (like Nexus S).

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

This is really a personal choice, personally i would get the infuse if given the choice, its going to blow all other screens out. i love larger screen and im pretty sure it will be wsvga so this will probably be sharper than the retena screen or however its spelt.
    LG is coming out with this NOVA display which is making some interesting claims. i would love to see their data sheets and how they are testing it. LG isnt making sense to me because they are claiming NOVA is so much better. meanwhile i know for a fact they are spending TONS , and i mean TONS of money on AMOLED development and manufacturing. i guess they need something to compete.

Anyway my vote is for infuse. with all this BS about software updates my Samsung fascinate runs better than my DX ran on its best day.

But this is up to you 4.5" screen is huge it may be uncomfortable to carry if you care about that sort of thing. And you may need to do some hacking if you want it to run the way you want it to.

Good luck on your choice
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

It's whatever phone suits you.

Baconator is right, it's going to come down to personal choice. Despite the size, the Infuse looks like it couled be a sweet phone. Then again, seeing the track record with the Galaxy S line, updates wil be a frustrating issue with owners. Honestly, all the phones I saw announced so far are pretty tempting but when it comes down to it, the Nexus S is gonna stay with me for a while.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

We can all agree that the Nexus S is as fast as any device could possibly get, the fastest iteration, the best single core processor. I mean these dual core things will really just zip like the Nexus line. I am still worried about battery life, especially considering that all of these devices have 4g.

Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Also if you get the Infuse you can't wear any skinny jeans. If you do make sure they have the jumbo sized pockets. Lol jkjk
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    Also if you get the Infuse you can't wear any skinny jeans. If you do make sure they have the jumbo sized pockets. Lol jkjk
    not to worried about skinny jeans, not my style. If Samsung would update their phones in a reasonable time I would have to go Infuse. The curved front screen on the nexus S still seems a bit weird to me but I haven't really got to play with one yet. Also this Motorola Atrix is making some pretty serious claims right now ...
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

lol not my style either. out of all the phones that were shown tday the atrix was my favorite

I wish/hope there is news on battery improvements and battery technology in general.

I want to use my Nexus S without having to constantly keep a worried eye on the meter. This is the life of using a full touch screen device, etc., yes I know, but I'm hoping it doesn't have to be.

While everyone's showering you with advice about the hardware, I don't know why you would wanna go with the Infuse, especially when it's a straight Samsung device without pure android on it and without a dual core (which is what attracts me in the devices released today).

Ask yourself whether you want to end up with a phone that in all probability will have delayed updates and such, and whether you want the extra half inch of screen estate. With the Nexus S' perfect 4" screen, and it's propensity to get updates earliest what with it probably being the phone of choice for developers on Android atleast for the next 1 year, I don't really see why you'd wanna go with the Infuse (unless the SD card and such hardware differences are a major concern to you). The processor really shouldn't be a point for you to worry about.

Of course, if you were comparing the Nexus S to the Motorola Atrix, then that'd be a different story, provided you feel the need for the dual core chip. If I were you, and if I were looking to settle with a single core, I'd just get the Nexus S.
    Thanked by:
    jaycop 
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Might have to wait until February to see what kind of dual core phone sammy comes out with ... Dual core + Super AMOLED plus screen, could be serious

As nice as dual core seems to be, we have to remember that there isn't really a whole lot out there right now that cill be able to take advantage of the extra processing power. Maybe the game emulators, but other than that it's going to be a pissing contest to see who's phone boots up the fastest, who opens apps quicker, etc. What you need to take into consideration is look at what the phone is shipping with. Take a lesson from all the Galaxy S owners if you are worried about getting updates. As nice as the infuse or the atrix are, who knows when updates to the OS will/if ever occur. I gladly ditched my Captivate and AT&T to get the Nexus S, and will probably be a "Nexus" customer from here on out because of having that luxury of updates.

Nexus S. Give me pure Google that I can monkey with at my whim over anything else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Samsung Nexus S or Samsung Infuse 4g-2device.jpg  
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Bad news guys, our jokes about battery life were true, they are just making them bigger to leave the battery life almost as much as any other single core Android device.

Sent from my Nexus S

With Samsung's bad history with updating their phones this seems like an easy decision. With the Nexus S you get the best of both worlds. Samsung hardware with Google handling the updates.

Here to learn

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The difference between the hardware is so so small... overclock your Nexus S to 1.2ghz and you have an Infuse without Touchwiz, sure you lose 4g but 4g on AT&T is so slow... Nexus S, definitely

Sent from my Nexus S

Quote Originally Posted by Smokexz View Post
    The difference between the hardware is so so small... overclock your Nexus S to 1.2ghz and you have an Infuse without Touchwiz, sure you lose 4g but 4g on AT&T is so slow... Nexus S, definitely

Sent from my Nexus S
    And if you are one if the lucky few on Sprint to have the Nexus S 4G then there reallybis no comparison.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    And if you are one if the lucky few on Sprint to have the Nexus S 4G then there reallybis no comparison.
    Lol the 4g would crap all over the Infuse in speed

Sent from my Nexus S