Nexus S: Still the greatest.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I think that even though all these phones are coming out the Nexus S is still the greatest. Sure it may not have dual-core but do any of those dual-core phones have Gingerbread. No, they have Fro-Yo and by the time they get Gingerbread the Nexus S will be on Honeycomb. Don't get me wrong they are all great phones but to me the Nexus S is still the best, to me. I would trade Dual-core any day for pure Google and updates first. And 4G doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother anyone else because you will get the same speeds on the Nexus S that you would get on a 4G phone on the T-Mobile network.

GuyverV

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I think that even though all these phones are coming out the Nexus S is still the greatest. Sure it may not have dual-core but do any of those dual-core phones have Gingerbread. No, they have Fro-Yo and by the time they get Gingerbread the Nexus S will be on Honeycomb. Don't get me wrong they are all great phones but to me the Nexus S is still the best, to me. I would trade Dual-core any day for pure Google and updates first. And 4G doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother anyone else because you will get the same speeds on the Nexus S that you would get on a 4G phone on the T-Mobile network.

*breaking news* honeycomb is tablet only.

pathfinder3

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm super impressed with this device. The photos it takes under low light conditions are pretty good. Also, I must say that Android 2.3.1 is fantastic.

Gone24

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Us: So Honeycomb, for phones -- that's your new UI?
8:09PM Andy: You saw it on the tablet.

what about that question and answer makes you think it's not tablet only

Did you actually watch the video? And did you read the whole transcript?

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

Andy: Yes.

This is what it exactly said. I copied and pasted. His answer was NOT "You saw it on the tablet" it was "Yes."

If you read the rest of the transcript you will see the answer is to the bottom of the question. I will apologize if I am incorrect but it doesn't seem like it.

GuyverV

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
This is what it exactly said. I copied and pasted. His answer was NOT "You saw it on the tablet" it was "Yes."

If you read the rest of the transcript you will see the answer is to the bottom of the question. I will apologize if I am incorrect but it doesn't seem like it.

you're reading that backwards. check the time stamps. the "yes" was in reply to the previous question asked at 8:08pm. it correctly reads:

8:08PM Q (from us): One of the things about Android is that it seems a bit clunky? Are we going to see a sea change in a more user friendly OS?

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus S is the best and will be the best until another pure google phone with updates straight from google comes up and it has dual-core and no bloat ware. I don't see that happening soon so ya. This "isn't a champianship fight" the Nexus S "has been the greatest." Great song if you haven't heard it.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
you're reading that backwards. check the time stamps. the "yes" was in reply to the previous question asked at 8:08pm. it correctly reads:

8:08PM Q (from us): One of the things about Android is that it seems a bit clunky? Are we going to see a sea change in a more user friendly OS?

I take my apology back. Here is what is says from 8:08pm - 8:09pm

Andy: I understand what you are saying. I would characterize Android as an early adopter platform (or for those married to people that are tech enthusiasts). We know the difference between customization and personalization -- that was the concept. We wanted to allow people to change things with widgets and menus. We had to make concessions there. Anyone can go to the Android Market now and start personalizing. I think you will start to see more of what you are talking about.

The question
Q (from us): One of the things about Android is that it seems a bit clunky? Are we going to see a sea change in a more user friendly OS?
was answered with
Andy: I understand what you are saying. I would characterize Android as an early adopter platform (or for those married to people that are tech enthusiasts). We know the difference between customization and personalization -- that was the concept. We wanted to allow people to change things with widgets and menus. We had to make concessions there. Anyone can go to the Android Market now and start personalizing. I think you will start to see more of what you are talking about.

The question
So Honeycomb, for phones -- that's your new UI?
was answered with

Last edited:
Reactions: GuyverV

GuyverV

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
that's true, but he was rather vague and the motorola xoom advertised 3.0 honeycomb as being table only. i wouldn't be surprised which way it went at this point. tablet exclusive or not. it's all just corporate double-speak. schmidt famously said there wouldn't be a nexus 2. he was technically telling the truth.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes it was advertised as "tablet only." But that might mean 3.0 as tablet only. It is possible for a 3.1 Honeycomb for smarter phones.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say the Nexus S is the greatest. With Gingerbread it makes it more feature rich (in a way), but there are some other phones that are due to receive the Gingerbread update that are better specs wise. I you put Gingerbread on my Droid X, I could make a good argument that my phone is better.

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I would point out, that in that interview, Rubin also mentions that Honeycomb allows developers a way of writing a single app but having different views for phones and tablets and shows the e-mail client as an example.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My EVO is in par or much future. Haha. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463