Nexus S Questions Before I Take The Plunge?

jaystang

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys,
Long time lurker here. Have a few questions about both the Nexus S and T-Mobile before I move forward with this.

I'll start off by saying, I'm a big anti-apple guy, however I'm also a software engineer so I just HAD to have an iPhone since at the time there was really no other phones that could compete. My contract has ended with AT&T back in July (yes long time to not upgrade), and I've just been sitting back and waiting for the next big thing to come along. I truly wanted a verizon phone. After having so many different issues with AT&T I was convinced I would never buy another phone that wasn't on verizon. I waited and waited, stalked these forums like crazy, followed the Thunderbolt from the minute it was leaked back in Aug. I thought this would be my next phone. Well of course CES was a big let down. Cool phone, not so new technology, terrible battery life, and not coming out until March? No thanks! So now I'm looking closely at the Nexus S. I went to best buy tonight and played around for a while. I guess none of my questions pertain specifically to the phone. It is a great piece of hardware, I am convinced of this. My questions are more around T-Mobile. My only experience with T-Mobile was back in high school (errr, long time ago) and I don't really remember how it was, as well as I'm sure they've done a tone of upgrading with their network. Anyway, honestly how is T-Mobile? How is it with dropped calls? How is it compared to other carriers? I live in Boston so being in a city I'm sure that helps. But then again I get dropped calls with AT&T and my crappy iPhone all the time so maybe I shouldn't make that assumption. Do the T-Mobile plans still come with the my-favs (pick your fav 5 numbers to call free)? I don't see it listed on their website. Can you upgrade with T-Mobile earlier then every 2 years while under contract? Do the offer any type of 1 year contract where the phone is a little more expensive (not talking $529 more expensive)? I'd love to hear everyone's opinion. I don't want to make another 2 year mistake like I did with AT&T, but I do love this phone.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input!

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Don't know about my faves, I doubt you will get the device with a lower price if you go with a 1 year contract, its either 2 years or no contract( keep in mind, those 2 years you are paying for essentially, the rest of the phone). Now, about the dropped calls, I had a BlackBerry 8320, christ did the calls sound terrible and dropped amazingly fast. Now with my Nexus S, calls were nice and clear, never had a dropped call and the nice thing about T-Mobile is, the plans cannot be beat. Honestly I still think the Nexus S is better than the dual core stuff and even the dual core stuff doesn't go anymore faster( at least not as fast as people think). I would so get a Nexus S over an iPhone any day.

Sent from my Nexus S

Reactions: jaystang

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm in a different city and state but I don't have as many problems as I thought I would. I have a blackberry on Verizon for work and nexus s on T-Mobile as a personal phone and I would say dropped calls are about the same on both. Again, I'm in a different city/state so that may or may not matter much.

rb81

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I live in Dallas and I have no problems with tmobile. Very rarely do I have a call dropped and the clarity is excellent. I have been getting great speeds on their data network as well (consistently around 3.5 mbps but up to 5.5+).

As far as upgades are concerned I got the nexus s on a full upgrade December 22nd and my two year mark would have been the end of march 2011. In my experience you can upgrade about 3-4 months early for full discount. Also they do have a partial upgrade available after a year (never used it but I know it is more than $100 off on a top of the line phone).

I don't use my faves and don't know if it is still available, but they do offer some great plans that are very competitive. Definitely worth a look, go to a t-mobile store and discuss plans before you go to best buy as bb has no clue about whats available for Tmo.

jaystang

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm now reading about the phone restarting during calls issue. Is anyone here experiencing this? Yet another concern to ponder over... hmm....

rb81

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
It has only happened to me once in almost a month. I wouldn't stress about it though, most people that had the issue frequently fixed with a factory reboot. Additionally Google has ackowledged the issue suggesting that it is a software bug, likely to be fixed in an update. Gingerbread has some kinks to work out but I find it to be an excellent os.

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had this problem yet. Granted I make fewer than 10 calls per day, so that may not be enough to see whether I have the problem or not.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I had t mobile and I opted to paui the etf to get out, got sick of the huge amount off dropped calls

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had that restart on a phone call, a lot Pele have complained about that, but from the 2 I have owned, they made calls just fine. Still hope the updates fix the SMS issue and the home screen locking up.

Sent from my Nexus S

jaystang

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys. Just picked up the phone tonight. So far so good.

One question. I read that the phone restart issue during calls might be related to 2.3.1. I'm currently on 2.3 out of the box however it's telling me I have a system update available. Am I better off waiting on this update since it may be whats causing the phone restart issue?

pathfinder3

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I got the 4G Web Unlimited EM+ bundle which is unlimited calls, text and data without a 2-yr contract. As for the service in my area, it's decent. Sprint and AT&T are horrible here. I haven't experience any drop calls yet!

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
In my area ALL carriers are horrible. T-Mobile has really good EDGE. I am in a Sprint dead zone (why do they have a store here if on their coverage map my town is a dead zone and they don't even have coverage. Their costumers are always unhappy here because they always are losing signal.) AT&T is roaming here and so is Verizon. (At least verizon has a patner 3G.) The best carrier right now in my area is Alltel. (I think that is who Verizon is roaming on) They have REALLY fast 3G. AT&T bought them out but won't switch everything until this summer (it was supposed to be last month but they had conflicts). Now we will have AT&T 3G and hopefully 4G (which I doubt). I hate my town when it comes to carrier signal. Hopefully AT&T will get the next Nexus so I can switch to them and use their 3G. The only good thing about T-Mobile is that we are ALWAYS out of town and we live around BIG cities with 3G yay

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Don't know how much this will contribute to the conversation since you've already picked up your phone, but here goes.

Back in 1994, a new GSM carrier started up (ar maybe appeared is a better word) here in Jacksonville called Powertel. When they first started offering service, you could sign up with no-contract and you had unlimited calling for $40 a month (no texting or internet back then). Coverage was spotty but the call clarity was amazing. The phone was a Nokia 2190 (I still have it).

Several years later, Powertel became VoiceStream and the network continued to grow. Because I was "grandfathered in", I got to keep my $40 a month plan. VoiceStream didn't offer upgrade plans at the time so if you wanted to get a new phone, you bought it. I did upgrade to the "new" Nokia 5190 and I still have that one too.

Finally T-Mobile came into the picture offering more phones, upgrades and as technology permitted, I continued to upgrade. I got a Motorola V66, then a V3 Razor and finally a Samsung Gravity (which I've been using the past couple of years). And yes, I still have those oldies as well.

The Nexus S was my first Android smart phone, although I did have a jail-broken iPhone 3G for a few weeks to play with.

And after all this time, I'm still with T-Mobile/VoiceStream/Powertel. Great signal, service and very few dropped calls. I travel to Atlanta a lot, usually by car or on my bike and always have service. And if I'm outside T-Mobile's coverage area (northwest Texas and Steamboat Springs, Colorado comes to mind) I can usually get a signal from another provider.

After having the same phone number for almost 17 years and having an umlimited Talk/Text/Data plan for only $54/month (loyal customer thing), I'll probably stick with T-Mobile till I die.

Frankly, I like their product!

My $.02

dadds27

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i made the jump on dec 16th from verizon to tmo. i had verizon for 10 years and never had a service problem but their billing was always wrong. i also hate their customer support with a passion and they dont seem to care about you. moving to tmo (i live in nj about 5 miles outside philly) i was worried about service. i havent had any drop calls and the 3g is really fast.

i just drove yesterday from louisville, ky in the snow and my gps and calls stayed locked in the whole ride. which btw is something verizon didnt do because i would lose calls in parts of pa and ohio. so in terms of coverage for calls and text messing i would say im covered better then verizon. (i travel a lot to see my friends and work all over the mid atlantic region). but it terms of 3g the coverage is less but faster when i have it.

i hope this helps and if you have any other questions i can answer them for you.

KU Kitch

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I jumped from the iPhone to the N1, Vibrant and now NS, after having been with T-Mo for 5 years before that. Service in KC and now Wichita has been good, and the price is much better than AT&T was. Honestly, I don't know why you'd get a contract plan since the increase over EM+ to EM seems to cost more than the phone discount you get with any phone over the life of the contract ($20/month for 24 months higher price, vs. max of say $350 savings to a discounted phone). Additionally, with that no interest way to pay off your phone over 20 months or whatever, it seems like there's no reason to have a contract at all. Personally I always get them and pay outright, but that's an option. I'm jealous of the Atrix 4g, but this is a good phone, and I think currently the best on T-Mo even without "4g" and a removable SD card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang