Nexus S version 2? What is this?

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
According to Engadget Samsung is making a sorta Nexus S looking device that as T-Mobile's 3G radio frequencies. The model number of the device is really similar to the one of the Nexus S and they look alike. If it is a better version with Honeycomb like they said then I will be returning my Nexus and getting the upgraded version. Here is the link.

Samsung GT-i9023 hits FCC: a new version of the Nexus S with Android 2.4? -- Engadget

Tell me what you think!

netninja

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I would be super pissed if they released a Nexus S 2 only a month after they released the original nexus s and 2 days after I bought this device! Don't screw us Google and Samsung! If you do it, bye bye Android:mad:

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
What a joke. If this is infact an upgraded Nexus S I will laugh. Luckily I didn't buy a Nexus S. Mainly because I always felt that a new Nexus would be coming summer this year.

This is one of the downsides to android and it's really getting old. All this fragmentation and releasing new phones every month is ****ing over the consumer.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It could be what the HTC Desire was to the Nexus One. A "Samsung" released phone of the Nexus S with more features and "4G." Of course, this will mean it'll have OEM skins and bloatware.

But I've been reevaluating how I feel about the Nexus line, and I'm beginning to think unless you're a developer, we're imagining this disparity between clean Android and OEM skins. The fact of the matter is stock Gingerbread hasn't liberated us from the issues which we unapologetically shun those skins for; how they hamper the experience, slow the phone down, etc. These problems still exist to some degree in stock Gingerbread. Some problems, in fact, seem even more glaring (random ringtone changes, rebooting during phone calls, etc). Granted, a clean Google Android is still preferred over OEM skins, but we're really imagining this disparity between a clean Android experience and OEM skins. Likewise, we blow out of proportion the audacity of bloatware. Yes, it's junk, and no, we don't want to see them, but do they do any real harm? The answer which no one wants to admit is no.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Some things in the FCC filing are incomplete, or possibly covered under the confidentiality agreement, but the radio bands sure don't look like HSPDA+ to me.

With the info that's given, there isn't enough to go by to say what it is. I'm not hanging it out there on the blog, so I'll post it here :p

GSM 850/1900 happens to be the same frequencies as the original iPhone. Draw your own conclusions.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is officially the king of Android, they have managed to WOW us SEVERAL times, however... this is not the wow I wanted... if the thing I bought a month ago already has a successor, what's the point of even purchasing the previous device? You are going to replace it within a matter of weeks. I understand the Galaxy line is already 6 or 7 months old, but the Nexus S is barely a month old. I am either going with a new colour, or a carrier branded version. While the carrier branded version seems unlikely ( we know T-Mobiles network works on the original Nexus S anyways) it could be a new colour, but with a new model number? This is just weird, I assumed it was for more bands, maybe a CDMA Nexus? No, another Nexus S that works on T-Mobile. At least, that's what it looks like right now.

Sent from my Nexus S

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
If i got a nexus S i would change to a g2 then mytouch 4g, vibrant, just go back and forth until this the vibrant 2 and othwrs come out and try those never getting out of the 30 day window

TrivialTweeter

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Looks to me like it's headed to T-Mobile

Correction -- Engadget says it has T-Mobile 3G. The filing with the FCC says otherwise.

I want to agree with you, but am thrown off by the '850/1900 GSM/EDGE/GPRS and 1700 WCDMA/HSPA' spec listed next to Equipment (EUT) Type in the FCC image you posted.

1700MHz would be T-Mobile's HSPA frequency.....The specs for the iPhone 4 show GSM (AT&T) model: UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) - Note the lack of the 1700MHz spectrum

So the 1700MHz HSPA spec listed in the FCC makes it look like a 3G (or should I say '4G', lol) T-Mobile device.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781