Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    stock Android

Default Spontaneous reboots, "missing" data like photos

Hi everyone,

The first few days I had my Nexus S (I purchased on release day), I had my device spontaneously reboot a few times. When it was back online, my photos or music were not available, etc., and forced me to manually power down the device and restart it, and then all was well.

During one of these reboot sessions, I was in the middle of taking some photos for Christmas, and now those photos are "missing" -- they're not in /mnt/sdcard/DCIM/Camera when the USB storage is mounted. And the Gingerbread build on the Nexus S no longer includes a Settings->Storage menu option to unmount the internal partition mounted as "USB Storage".

I have a suspicion that when this glitch-reboot happens, the USB storage is not getting mounted, and that my missing photos are stored under /mnt/sdcard/DCIM as part of the 1GB (or OS) storage area.

In Linux, you can store files in a folder, but then mount some other block device to that folder as a mount destination, and the files you had in the folder are no longer available, but not lost -- as soon as you unmount your other block device, you can access your old files again. I suspect that that's what happening on my Nexus S.

Thankfully, one of my Christmas photos was uploaded to Facebook as soon as I took it, so I can always recover a lo-res version of it, but the other photos/videos etc. are inaccessible to me.

Unfortunately, since I've developed this theory a few days ago, my phone hasn't spontaneously rebooted for me to see whether that's where my files actually are. I also have some missing music I donwloaded, or other data/settings from apps which might have save on the /mnt/sdcard/ path.

Has anyone else experienced this, or able to confirm that this data is not, in fact, actually missing but simply hiding because the USB Storage partition is mounted under /mnt/sdcard?

I could unmount the partition if I were rooted, of course, but rooting the device right now would wipe it.

I have an rsync backup app from the Market that I use to rsync data from /mnt/sdcard on a regular basis now, and you can bet I'll fire that up if my phone ever spontaneously reboots again and I happen to find those missing photos, etc.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I also lost random pictures about 70% of all pictures on my phone. Luckily i had backed up my phone to my pc, but i was never sure what happened. Now that this has happened to you i am worried i have to keep backing up stuff in case it happens again. I think the data was deleted because the amount of space on my sdcard was also reduced.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    stock Android

I found a widget last night that will allow me to unmount my USB Storage without needing root, but Astro File Manager didn't show any files under the old /mnt/sdcard/ path.

What's funny though, after I realized last night that none of my missing photos were under /mnt/sdcard after an unmount, they WERE present after re-mounting the card. I don't know when the missing photos migrated back to the USB Storage partition, but they were missing for at least two weeks ... Now it has me wondering if there's some intelligent logic in Android to detect when this happens and moves the files for you?

Folks, regarding the missing pictures and issues with Gallery, a file has been reported to Google. Please visit the link and star it so more attention is brought to it. Thank you! Issue 13419 - android - New pictures disappear in Gallery - Project Hosting on Google Code

In general, star whatever issues that are reported which you're also experiencing in this thread: Reporting Issues to Google
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    stock Android

Yup, I starred that one about a week and a half ago along with others, like the ringtone issue, etc.

Thanks for the reminder!

Default Same problem Nexus S....files recovered!

Using Recuva from Priform (free)

I also had the rebooting issues. Happened yesterday, even after the update. I also was missing all my music. It would appear and disappear. Now it seems to be there for good. Not sure why... I will report these to google.