Connectivity Weirdness

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
So all day today I've had connectivity issues with my NS. But the weird part is, they've all been confined to the immediate vicinity of my neighborhood. Not at work, not at a mall. Nowhere but that neighborhood. The issue has consisted of going from no signal to full bars (I usually only have two), and fluctuating everywhere in between. I've been tracking my speeds as well, and they've been anywhere from bad (zeros across the board with a 999ms ping) to amazing (4mb/s down, 1mb/s) to INSANE (0 down and 2.1 mb/s up).

Thinking that it might be a tower issue, I called T-Mobile and they reported that there was no outage and that network condition was excellent. The rep reset my location so my phone would choose the nearest tower, but it still hasn't helped since my signal is still all over the map. (just ran one that hit 4mb/s/690kb/s, and then another that froze completely and wouldn't even accept a signal)

I'm really concerned because my 14 days is up on Saturday, and I don't want to be stuck if this is going to continue.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, if it's only in one place, I would say something is up near you. If you go driving to neighboring areas and all is well, I would think the phone is OK.

Typically at my house I have 4-5 bars and a steady 3G connection. Last week, I get home around 5PM and notice that I had no bars, to 1 or 2, mostly on Edge, and every now and then bump to 3G. I also noticed that night at the restaurant (about 10 miles away) all was well, only to get back home and the same issue persisted.

The next day and ever since all is well. Now here's the interesting part: A few weeks ago, when I got the new phone and T-mobile, I did a speed test from my house. It was something like 1.5mbs down and 800kb/s up. Not the best, but wasn't much worse than ATT who I had just left. (ATT was like 2mb/1mb). But after that night of bad signal, I'm getting 5mb/s down and about 1.4 up consistently.

I'm thinking that night they were upgrading the tower near me to HSPA+. Which I'm thinking would take it offline and force my phone to pick the next nearest tower which might have been just a little too far away. Maybe the same thing is happening near you?

netninja

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Weird! I had unusual network connectivity issues with my Nexus S today as well! However, I'm in Canada and not on T-Mobile. I wonder if Google was messing about with it or something.... :eek:

dadds27

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, if it's only in one place, I would say something is up near you. If you go driving to neighboring areas and all is well, I would think the phone is OK.

Typically at my house I have 4-5 bars and a steady 3G connection. Last week, I get home around 5PM and notice that I had no bars, to 1 or 2, mostly on Edge, and every now and then bump to 3G. I also noticed that night at the restaurant (about 10 miles away) all was well, only to get back home and the same issue persisted.

The next day and ever since all is well. Now here's the interesting part: A few weeks ago, when I got the new phone and T-mobile, I did a speed test from my house. It was something like 1.5mbs down and 800kb/s up. Not the best, but wasn't much worse than ATT who I had just left. (ATT was like 2mb/1mb). But after that night of bad signal, I'm getting 5mb/s down and about 1.4 up consistently.

I'm thinking that night they were upgrading the tower near me to HSPA+. Which I'm thinking would take it offline and force my phone to pick the next nearest tower which might have been just a little too far away. Maybe the same thing is happening near you?

this sounds like the most logical thing that is happening to you. has the problem persisted?