Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Organizing Browser Bookmarks?

    Is there a way to organize the bookmarks saved in the stock browser? I can't seem to find out how...
  2. #2  
    Jalarm's Avatar

    Posts
    810 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I think you have to delete them or stick them on your home screen. I have been looking to.
  3. #3  
    Cyber Warrior's Avatar
    Robots Will Kill

    Posts
    8,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

    Default

    If you use Launcher pros bookmark widget you can organize them by most visited or alphabetically. I put numbers in front of each bookmarks name that way I have them right where I want them. It would be a nice feature to have in the stock browser though. Like mentioned above I believe they are organized in the order you add them.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    This is quite an oversight to not be able to organize bookmarks in the stock browser.

    It's things like this about Google that perplex the hell out of me.
  5. #5  
    Jalarm's Avatar

    Posts
    810 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I bet there are some good bookmark widgets out there.
  6. #6  

    Default

    /data/data/com.android.browser/databases/browser.db

    the field is bookmark.

    If you can't edit a text database, use one of the many apps that will order the bookmarks however you like. I recommend bookmark backup and restore.

    Android was designed to allow applications to do things like this vs. decide how you want it done, then do it for you.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  7. #7  
    Smokexz's Avatar

    Posts
    900 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I need to ask dude, you always say bad things about Google and over (what I believe to be) the silliest things. Bookmarks? Organizing them? Its not hard to scroll through them at all. If you really want such a thing look for something like that on the market. Though I honestly see you posting things such as this, where Google is just a terrible company. I feel as if you own an iPhone xD.

    Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokexz View Post
    I need to ask dude, you always say bad things about Google and over (what I believe to be) the silliest things. Bookmarks? Organizing them? Its not hard to scroll through them at all. If you really want such a thing look for something like that on the market. Though I honestly see you posting things such as this, where Google is just a terrible company. I feel as if you own an iPhone xD.

    Sent from my Nexus S
    Granted, this is less of a concern/issue than say rebooting phone calls, or random ringtone changes, or keyboard issues, etc. It's just disappointing that Google wouldn't think to include a feature to organize bookmarks, something so simple and what I thought was standard for any browser.

    I think I've explained my position before, but I'm happy to clarify it again. I understand why it would seem like I hate Google but that couldn't be farther from the truth. There are many things I love and enjoy about Android and the Nexus line. I just find it far more pertinent to talk about the issues it has -- and, unfortunately, there are many. I do so out of the hopes that Android will improve. I don't sit idly and complain. I criticize; there is a difference. And I do my part in helping by reporting issues and making feature requests (my latest one is: Custom Auto Corrections, which I think will go a long way in enhancing the typing experience: . Please star!).

    I do not own an iPhone anymore for many reasons (I was just as critical about Apple's shortcomings). However, I'm also more than wiling to admit and highlight what the iPhone does well (you might notice this especially when I criticize Android's stock keyboard).
  9. #9  
    Smokexz's Avatar

    Posts
    900 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I understand, understand though Android is not finished, we have two iterations of Android that we know of coming this year... most likely that is when Google will put more minor features. I am actually hoping Google gives the stock launcher some more flare, it is so dull and dead, that's why I love Android though.... I found a shortcoming and easily had the ability to go around it. I now use the LG Optimus Home launcher... it works and I am not just limited to that or the keyboard I use. You don't have to like the stock Android browser, go look for another one that fits your taste... I do miss the one thing about iPhones, and that's the quality of apps. Google is so lax on app submissions that Apple is taking the punch at them for having inappropriate apps(Apple sure does love to Jews! Especially if they give them money).

    Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    How do you make it so that the "green globe" browser icon will launch a different browser? For example, if I want to use Firefox 4 Beta, but want to retain the "green globe" icon on my main dock but have it launch Firefox when I tap that, how do I do that?

    I recall the browser once asking me what I wanted my default browser to be. I don't know how to clear that or reset it so it asks again. I've tried settings and clearing cache, etc. Doesn't seem like I can clear the "launch by default" option in the app settings. It's faded out. Can't even do anything in that section.

    Help?



    By the way: About the organized bookmarks, isn't that what the "Most visited" tab is for? Why are both the Bookmarks and Most Visited tabs organized to show your most often visited sites? : scratches head :
  11. #11  

    Default

    The green globe is the icon for the native browser. Each browser (and app) has their own icon. You can change the Firefox icon by downloading one you want. Easiest way to apply us using Launcher Pro or ADW....

    Are you familiar with changing icons?

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. #12  
    Grimmy's Avatar

    Posts
    81 Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.3 (IML74K)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
    By the way: About the organized bookmarks, isn't that what the "Most visited" tab is for? Why are both the Bookmarks and Most Visited tabs organized to show your most often visited sites? : scratches head :
    This would only be the case if all your most visited sites are in your bookmarks. I rarely find the need to add bookmarks, because the sites I visit most are in most visited (surprisingly enough ).
    Last edited by Grimmy; 02-02-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: cut out irrelevant part of quote
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
    How do you make it so that the "green globe" browser icon will launch a different browser? . . . .

    . . . . Doesn't seem like I can clear the "launch by default" option in the app settings. It's faded out. Can't even do anything in that section.
    It should be under the "Launch by Default" section. If the one under Firefox is greyed out, look under the "Browser" app. Since that's your default, you probably have to clear the default there.

    After you clear the defaults in the "Browser" app, hit the green globe and it should prompt you to select a default action again.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sherri View Post
    The green globe is the icon for the native browser. Each browser (and app) has their own icon. You can change the Firefox icon by downloading one you want. Easiest way to apply us using Launcher Pro or ADW....

    Are you familiar with changing icons?

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I thought there was a more "official" way to do it. I will just change the icon to the green browser picture. Thanks for the suggestion.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by font1975 View Post
    It should be under the "Launch by Default" section. If the one under Firefox is greyed out, look under the "Browser" app. Since that's your default, you probably have to clear the default there.

    After you clear the defaults in the "Browser" app, hit the green globe and it should prompt you to select a default action again.
    I tried that and it was grayed out for the Browser app too. No worries. I can just change the Firefox icon. Was just hoping for a more official way to do it. Thanks.
  16. #16  

    Default

    That is the official way to do it; the green globe on the stock launcher bar is just a pointer to the "default app". You might try reloading firefox or something.

    I just installed Dolphin HD, and the defaults are working properly.
  17. #17  
    tony bag o donuts's Avatar
    Resident Ringtone Maker

    Posts
    3,900 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,009 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

    Default

    you can get the chrome icon for the default browser....there is an app for that
  18. #18  
    tony bag o donuts's Avatar
    Resident Ringtone Maker

    Posts
    3,900 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,009 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    /data/data/com.android.browser/databases/browser.db

    the field is bookmark.

    If you can't edit a text database, use one of the many apps that will order the bookmarks however you like. I recommend bookmark backup and restore.

    Android was designed to allow applications to do things like this vs. decide how you want it done, then do it for you.
    Why can't I see this on my Dinc? I am not rooted.

Posting Permissions

B