1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pulled the Trigger!

Hey guys,

Pretty stoked, I had Verizon and was thinking of getting the IP4...but imo its boring (I had an Ipad and Ipod Touch so I am very familiar with iOS)...

Instead I ditched verizon, headed to Tmobile...got an everything plus plan...

500 minutes, unlimited data = $55 a month....no text (use Gvoice)...

Headed to my local bestbuy and got a Nexus S....no contract, pure google.

Sure other phones may come out with better hardware specs, but I believe right now that hardware is not holding android back, its all software from here on out and I want to be sure to get the latest updates.

The Nexus S is plenty fast, and for hardcore multimedia needs, I'll pick myself a tab...

I really wanted the Nexus One (held out thinking it was going to Verizon) so this is good for me.

ROM
    Stock

You are going to love it more every day. Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jalarm View Post
    You are going to love it more every day. Good luck with it!
    Not just lucky, but he/she is going to get a lastest android version before the rest of others.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,602 Global Posts

Nice. I signed up with a contract so Im paying $70 a month. Will probably return and rebuy off contract.

ROM
    Stock

[QUOTE=phuthanvinh;571618]Not just lucky, but he/she is going to get a lastest android version before the rest of others.

I'm just trying to put in a good word for the phone. :P

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I love mine! Get a TPU case, they feel and make the device look great!

Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

im loving it...

I was thinking of going AT&T with the Atrix, but in the end I have always wanted a Nexus one...stock android.

While Dual Core...yadda yadda yadda is exciting....I really do think software is where we will see the most return...as such I wanted the updates...being supported by google etc....IMO the Nexus is the closest thing for me to compare to the IP4...its directly Google's baby etc etc.

Plus I dont really plan on playing lots of games on the phone...I'll get a Xoom for that.

Also can't beat the monthly plan cost...

makes me wish i bought mine of contract! but congrats on your decision and being away from verizon and the high costs have been great for me since i left on dec 18th

ROM
    CM7 Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by frenzy757 View Post
    Sure other phones may come out with better hardware specs, but I believe right now that hardware is not holding android back, its all software from here on out and I want to be sure to get the latest updates.
    I agree that the Android software is developing quite nicely. Since this is my first Android device, I can't imagine what the previous OS versions were like, but I love Gingerbread. I have to admit, my favorite 'game' is flashing custom ROMs nightly, OC kernels, and custom themes. The crazy thing is, that I never make a Nandroid backup.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I am loving this phone....its fast as hell. Faster than my D2 etc.

Honestly the dual core stuff can do some more flashy things and HDMI out, but that is why I will have a tablet that has the hardware specs.

For my phone, this Nexus S is perfect...and it is the BEST way to keep from feeling like your phone is really out of date why? SOFTWARE....in 9 months when the new phones are getting outpaced by the new hardware specs, and still is running 2.2 or maybe 2.3, we will at least get something new from google.

Until the manufacturers can start to keep up with Google, I dont think I will ever leave the Nexus world again

I currently have the EVO and thinking of switching to the NS. I also would like to cut down on costs. I am looking into getting the prepaid "1500 Talk & Text with 30 MB data" plan for $30. I have WiFi at home and work and dont plan on using alot of data. Do you think 30mb is enough for emails and slight browsing? Are there better plans than those listed on the tmo website?

Dude, 30mb is nothing. You will run through that in like 30mins.

Weird! I, too, just switched to the Nexus S almost similarly to the OP. I left AT&T, bought the phone at full price, and signed up for the $60 Even More Plus plan with 500 mins and unlimited data/text.

It's my first Android phone and I'm still getting used to it after using an iPhone but so far, so good. I think Android is a great OS even though there are things about it that I don't like much, but I could easily say that about iOS too.

A bonus: Best Buy had some promotion going on where they actually paid for my first month of service! I wasn't aware they were doing that so I was pretty happy at the store, plus the employees were actually friendly/helpful, which is a rarity here in NYC.

Is anyone else on the Even More Plus plan? Just curious how much my $60 bill will be after taxes are added...
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

mine is $55 plus taxes but I didnt buy text since I use Gvoice.

I thought I was in a huge minority with all the "Are you going at&t or verizon bs"...I was going to go to AT&T from verizon (slow *** data) to get the Atrix until I learned that they are basically locking everything down PLUS I don't get free wifi tethering...I know you can root it but to me Tmobile is like the Google of the telecoms.

plus no contract? Just awesome. NYCNYC, let me know if you need some android tips etc.

ROM
    MIUI 1.9.9/Netarchy 1.4.0

Nice this phone is perfect I really don't think dual core will be used till about next year.
    http://twitter.com/DPtheKid

Thanks Frenzy. I think out of all my issues with the phone (or Android?) so far, the biggest one has to be the battery life. I don't have a live wallpaper, my screen brightness is about halfway, and I only have a couple of widgets going. Any tips on how to get better battery life? It seems like I'm charging the phone 2-3 times a day.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

hmm...actually I found my battery life to me great...

Honest to God, I unplug my phone around 8:45 and at 8:45 PM it is still around 40%.

To be honest, I don't know what I am doing, I use it pretty much throughout the day checking emails, listening to music (not pandora I have it stored locally).

I did a lot of tests, look at your battery graph when you use the phone and see what is using all of your power. That should help you target what to do.

Go to settings -> about phone -> battery use then click on the graph at the top of that screen