Was it the right choice?

uk-pre

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I?m just about to leave Webos (Palm HP) and head over to Android. I?m seriously considering the Nexus S, but wanted to know whether you guys were happy with your device or wish you?d bought another, maybe a HTC variant of some sort?

18 or 24 months is a long time with a phone, last thing I want to do is jump in when ?something? else might be just around the corner.
Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers.

uk-pre

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Excellent review thanks.

Ok, so I?m not worried about storage or 4G. However the video and still camera seems like a let down.
I?m no dev guru but like to tweek here and there. (homebrew type stuff on Webos).
Tough question, but what else of similar size competes with this phone?
I personally prefer the HTC metal case, but could live with the plastic.

Maybe I shoudn't say it, but Gingerbread in an Iphone 4 case would be awesome!:-!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Judging by your name, I'll assume your in the UK :p

Have a look at today's news of the Desire S. It's coming soon to 3, O2, Orange, and Vodaphone. It's Aluminum unibody looks amazing.

siogeek

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from WebOS. I had my pre on day 1. I now have an evo and my wife has a shift. I'm happy and sad all at the same time. My biggest complaint about Android is the "multitasking." Coming from WebOS cards, Android multitasking will be a let down. The stock web browser and email client leave a lot to be desired, but the good news is android is written easily replace these.

I think I'm happy with my move. While WebOS seemed more polished, Android is more feature rich. App availability is much better and the phone is much more customizable (this cuts both ways actually).

So the bottom line I think is, there will be some things that you really miss with WebOS. However, I don't think you will hate yourself for the switch.

falconeight

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I recently sold my nexus s. I loved the phone I just had a problem with many bugs. The phone turned off during calls, my alerts for email, texts, and im's would disappear or just not work, and sometimes the home screen would get stuck in between landscape and portrait.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Ice cream update will offer a nice multitasking experience... just like Honeycomb, I personally think HTC devices are so cold and hideous. However if you like it... meh... the Droid Incredible S is almost exactly like the Nexus S, 4 inch screen... it has Sense(new new Sense), 8mp camera, ffc, and a special Droid Incredible design.... hell, it even has an S in its name. I know its coming to the UK, but I don't know which carrier. 1ghz next gen snapdragon, 768 RAM oh by the way it has Froyo... if you like most of HTCs generic devices, you will love this.

Sent from my Nexus S

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased a Nexus S and love it. I also have a Mytouch 4G and, other than the 4G speed, I like the Nexus S better so far. I missed the pure Google experience I had with my Nexus one.

The Nexus S also boots & finds the T-mobile signal much faster than the MT4G. The keyboard is really improved also.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
stock google = win.

Dont have to root for wifi hotspot.

Also my opinion is that the hardware is moving so quickly, that the only way for me to feel like I have an up-to-date device is on the software side...that being said, the Nexus line is for me.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
stock google = win.

Dont have to root for wifi hotspot.

Also my opinion is that the hardware is moving so quickly, that the only way for me to feel like I have an up-to-date device is on the software side...that being said, the Nexus line is for me.

I agree, but also wish that your comment was more true. As it turns out, stock Gingerbread is so chock full of glitches that it hinders the experience quite enough by itself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress