In a predicament about getting my FIRST Android device.

patrick216

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Blackberry Bold 9700 that I got last July. I was planning to get the Nexus One but I didn't like having all screen and no physical keypad. I was hooked on the Nexus though, stupid of me not to get it. Now there is a Nexus S, and I love it also. Its the only android device that I seem to be attracted to. Here's the issue. I bought the Blackberry with my OWN money, but my parents pay the monthly bills. I am going to buy this phone with my own money, and going to get a job to pay for my own bill. I want to show my parents I'm independent, I haven't asked them for anything in 2yrs, everything I want I buy with my own money that I work for in the summer. My parents don't want me to get this phone because they want me to get it in the summer before college. They believe that a phone is a phone, and a I'm wasting my money because every phone is the same. I keep telling them I have the money and I want to buy it and pay the bills, thing is, its under their name, so they refuse to.

Should I wait, or try to continue my efforts to let me buy it?

If I wait I may have to wait till September because I'm going to France.

cporier91

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I hear what you are saying. Basically all i did to get my nexus s was sold my old nexus one. The first android phone i had was a G1, and my parents paid for the data on TMo. still 2yrs later i am in college, and own a nexus s that i paid for with my own money and my parents are still paying for my data. Parents are going to say a phone is a phone, but they'll come around. I say get the NS if you cannot wait, but waiting will not kill you either. I got my NS before christmas and it was the only thing i got, because of the large price tag it has. It's your call on what you want to do. hope this helps:)

myphone

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
the nexus s is an awesome phone... i would get it if you are in need of a phone.. 'need' being the key word... if you are not in need of a new phone, i personally would wait till the 4g model comes out of the nexus s or a dual core model comes out for Tmo.. if thats what your on...
With that said... i highly recommend the nexus s to everyone that asks me. The phone is a power house when it come to muti-tasking and works really good... well besides the few little bugs... but what phone doesnt have a bug.
Good luck man...

Power to the NS!

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
It is a great phone. I recommend getting it if you really want to. What is good about it is that it is on T-Mobile and they have some good pricing. If you get it with no contract ask T-Mobile about their Even More Plus plans. They are cheap and you get everything you need.

patrick216

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I could wait, and get it for graduation. Which isn't that far away. Or I can wait to see if they tweak the Nexus S with 4G or wait to see if the Motorola Atrix will come to T-mobile.

pathfinder3

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I say wait until after graduation. You'll want to focus on completing school and not on a shiny new toy. Instead, it should be a goal for finishing school. If you are attracted to the NS, you probably know that the hardware isn't anything groundbreaking and it's all about the software. It's very easy to be staying up all night, waiting on the latest custom ROM to post and reading related forums instead of studying. Take advantage of NOT having that one bill to worry about.

Last edited:

patrick216

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
My parents said yes, I stop caring about the phone when they said I can get it.
Besides, school is kinda done for me and there's nothing to do but wait for my acceptance letters in two weeks, and my blackberry is boring me. I hardly get work anymore, so a phone isn't gonna cut into my working time.

Problem is, I can't get the Nexus S because I can't upgrade. My only option is to buy at full price ($500) or add a new line (phone $100 with Bestbuy, and a $10 dollar monthly fee for a new line and $30 activation fee).

About the new line. If I add the new line and transfer my old number to the phone, and strip my old line of a plan making it as cheap as possible, you think I can do that?

cenwesi

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Dude, just buy the new phone and be done with it. Adding a second line in the long run it not worth it. You will will still end up paying just as much money if few months.

1stGenRex

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I thought I was going to miss the keyboard on my 9700, but I don't. Adding a line to get a phone? Think this through and you'll see why this isn't such a great idea. Most times, TMobile will let you do an early upgrade if you're within a few months of your upgrade date, but not Best Buy.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I would not do it right now. I am in agreement with your parents. I know you want a new phone right now, but it is better to wait. I certainly wouldn't want to pay full retail on a device. Be smart with your money. Learning good financial habits being young will take you further in your adult life. Bad habits are hard to break. There is always going to be a new device, but you have the choice now to make the right decisions for yourself.