2.3.2 & 2.3.3 ota?

anon(226518)

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
New to Nexus S, loving stock Android. TMO's mytouch 4G will be my backup phone at this point.

I read the sticky's but didn't see anything specific about the OTA point releases. Please can someone clarify for me.

1. I purchased on Saturday and the build was 2.3.

2. Today I got OTA update for 2.3.1 and applied it. In researching what the build fixed I learned there is also a 2.3.2 and 2.3.3.

3. Are the builds incremental where you must apply 2.3.2 before applying 2.3.3?

4. Would you advise just waiting for the scheduled OTA updates or is manual build just as safe? For manual builds, where are the official zip files?

THANKS in advance.

PS: I love the sticky about why no 4G is not really an issue. My MT4G typically got 4-5 down and 1.6 up. I've run speedtest.net quite a bit and down does tend to be variable 3-5 down but up has been consistently 1.6-1.8. So, the Nexus S is capable of hspa speeds. Network isn't supporting 14.4 HSPA+ anyway!

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
You shouldn't have to wait very long like Jalarm said. Updating manually is exactly the same as an OTA update. You can find the zip files in the FAQs. I think you can skip to 2.3.3 without going to 2.3.2. Anymore more questions? Just ask.

1stGenRex

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried to skip, and I couldn't, man. It was easy enough to go in order though. I just got my phone this past weekend. So I got one OTA yesterday (so that's what, 48 hours to receive the initial OTA), but I got impatient and just updated manually.

Rahabib

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I had this very question had 2.3.1 for a week without any updates. I am wifi only and couldn't get my phone to register on Samsung's website (kept saying invalid code even though I tried the IMEI several different ways). I am not sure if I have to do it manually for now on or not. I hope I dont have to. Its half the reason I got the Nexus in the first place (to be up to date).

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
@Rahabib
I too am curious why the 2.3.3 update has been pushed to my phone by now. Guess I'll just keep on waiting.... I'll install the update if needed in the future. Although it's weird you've not even gotten an update to 2.3.2?

Remember, though, Samsung's involvement in the Nexus S is hardware only. The updates don't come from them, so if you were trying to register to check for software updates, that would be why it doesn't work.

Rahabib

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
@Rahabib
I too am curious why the 2.3.3 update has been pushed to my phone by now. Guess I'll just keep on waiting.... I'll install the update if needed in the future. Although it's weird you've not even gotten an update to 2.3.2?

Remember, though, Samsung's involvement in the Nexus S is hardware only. The updates don't come from them, so if you were trying to register to check for software updates, that would be why it doesn't work.

ok. I wasnt sure if I had to register the phone to get the updates or not. but yea I am still on 2.3.1 and if I search for updates in the settings it just says 'your system is currently up to date.' I have the GRH78 version if that makes a difference.

Ill probably give it until Monday and if there arent any updates by then Ill just manually go to 2.3.2 and then to 2.3.3.

Rahabib

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
yea so I never got an update over the weekend so I manually updated to 2.3.2. I think Ill wait a bit to see if the OTA update gets me now for 2.3.3. From what I read it kinda screws with the screen temperature and not many other fixes (couldn't find a full changelog anywhere).

If you do the manual update, remember that its power and volume UP not power and volume down (a few websites have it wrong).

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all. I'm familiar with the manual update as that is how I got from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2.

Sorry to be a stickler, but still driving some of my earlier questions:

1. How will Google now know that my phone number now has 2.3.2 as I only got 2.3.1 OTA? When I did the manual install did it register something with Google that my number is now on 2.3.2?

I have no clue how Google knows. I think that after you update manually and restart the phone it sends something to Google servers telling them that you now have updated.

2. I'm tempted to manually install 2.3.3 - mainly because I can't help myself and want the latest and greatest. However, I've read all the issues around the color (I don't really care about that too much) and battery life on the nexus 1. It seems like the nexus s has NOT had an issue with degradation in the battery life and possibly even an improvement. I travel so batt life is key to me. I'll happily proceed with the manual update if I can confirm battery life is the same or better.

THANKS ALL for your patience. I'm new to the pure Android experience. Next I need to root my Tmobile mytouch4G and get that on stock Android too ;-)

Well the screen color does change but you will get used to it and then forget about it. The battery life on the Nexus S after the update has improved for me. It lasts longer. I don't know if that is the case for other but for me it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech