Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New To Nexus S

Just purchased Nexus S from Best Buy. Prior to Nexus, I previously had an Optimus S for a short period.

Any immediate suggestions for improving the NS experience???

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock and loving it

root it
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I read a LOT about rooting, but just don't see any great advantage for my needs, other than maybe tethering. But, when I had an Optimus, i could tether sans rooting. Don't know if the same is true for Nexus.
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Quote Originally Posted by rdean View Post
    I read a LOT about rooting, but just don't see any great advantage for my needs, other than maybe tethering. But, when I had an Optimus, i could tether sans rooting. Don't know if the same is true for Nexus.
    Tethering is free on the Nexus S so no need to root it just for tethering. Well just update it to 2.3.3 and I think you should be good. Have fun! If you have any questions just ask!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

is a tethering app needed?
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

No. To tether all you have to do is go to the menu> settings> Wireless and networks> tethering and potable hotspot> and then check portable Wi-Fi hotspot and now your Nexus S is a Wi-Fi hotspot.

ROM
    CM7 Nightly

To fully enjoy the Nexus experience, I'd say go ahead and root your device. Discover the wonders of all the awesome custom ROMs that is currently available. Participate in testing by providing feedback thru forum posts. Determine the limits of your particular device by safely pushing its processor speed (overclocking) or figure out how much battery life you can squeeze (under volting). Appreciate all the hard work and time that developers have invested by utilizing amazing custom themes.

I'm also new to Android and I have a inspire 4G. I wanted to know if I were to get a nexus s on ATT will all the features be the same as the t-mo version. Tethering and updates etc... I would appreciated the help

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock and loving it

Quote Originally Posted by Junior410 View Post
    I'm also new to Android and I have a inspire 4G. I wanted to know if I were to get a nexus s on ATT will all the features be the same as the t-mo version. Tethering and updates etc... I would appreciated the help
    yes, the nexus line gets all the updates first. so don't worry my friend. tethering, portable hotspot will be available. the only thing i'm not sure of is if att will add additional charges to use these features. because i know sprint is making users charge extra for portable hotspot on their nexus line.
    Thanked by:

Just a quick comment on the "rooting" suggestions above.

By no means do you need to root to enjoy the full experience of the Nexus line. The fact the phone is practically "bare-bones" waiting for you to add what you want to it without all the other carrier or manufacturer loaded apps is a big plus for me.

I'm not saying you shouldn't root. By all means if you love tweaking and customizing, rooting the Nexus is a breeze. I'm just saying that rooting isn't required to fully enjoy a Nexus phone