1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock and loving it

Default Signal indicators green to white

on my phone, the signal indicators go from green to white, idk if this is normal or not. I know that when green it is synced with google's servers, and when white, well not synced. this has happened all of a sudden. Like when i go to sleep and wake up the signal is white. and when i have the phone in my pocket then pull it out the signals are also white. is this a bad thing? i know its minor but its kinda getting on my nerves because data runs slow on white signal.
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

I think that when the device is not on or in standby then the indicators turn white. Not a problem. It happens to me. But what I have noticed is that when the indicators are white sometimes you cannot connect to the internet, maybe that is just something I am doing though.

ROM
    Stock

The signal bars turn green when you are connected to Google's servers. For example, if the android market is not loading the signal bars might be white. It's not a problem it's just helpful, and just to let you know whenever you turn off wifi they will turn white for a few seconds.
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    I think that when the device is not on or in standby then the indicators turn white. Not a problem. It happens to me. But what I have noticed is that when the indicators are white sometimes you cannot connect to the internet, maybe that is just something I am doing though.
    You can't connect to the internet because it's the stock browser uses Google's servers. If you have something like Opera mini you could load pages when the bars are white.
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock and loving it

ok, so today the signal went white a lot. i went in the syncs and accounts and there was a red sync icon on the gmail label, and it said sync is being interrupted back online in a minute, idk when the heck is causing this interference with my gmail account. idk know what else to try than factory reset and set up another gmail account...hmm... any thoughts?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock and loving it

apparently i'm not the only one finding this a problem. i want to know whats going on. are any of you experiencing this problem frequently? let me know!

I'm in the same boat ...

I contacted T-Mobile and they tried some things on their side while I had the battery/sim removed but no dice. They suggest I get a new sim from the store and try contacting Nexus One support - 888-486-3987 and dial in T-Mobile at the same time. I guess that's the next step.

I haven't seen a Gmail message on my phone since 4/22, but Google Voice oddly works.

ROM
    Stock Gingerbread

This happens to me once in a while (like 2 or 3 times a day) but it's mostly due to real carrier internet interruptions. I know this because it usually happens on low-signal areas or places I know to have spotty internet connections.

If you are having this often, perhaps they're caused by T-Mobile and not a problem with the phone itself? Chances are this has been happening to older devices but we just don't notice it because the icons stay the same color.

Default fixed

Quote Originally Posted by pdjy View Post
    I'm in the same boat ...

I contacted T-Mobile and they tried some things on their side while I had the battery/sim removed but no dice. They suggest I get a new sim from the store and try contacting Nexus One support - 888-486-3987 and dial in T-Mobile at the same time. I guess that's the next step.

I haven't seen a Gmail message on my phone since 4/22, but Google Voice oddly works.
    Quick update.

Got the new sim, but that didn't seem to do much.

Proceeded to do the factory reset and it worked ... I'm back to GREEN
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Stock and loving it

Quick update.

hmm, so its a sim card problem it sounds like. i guess i'll have to run up to a tmo store and get a new sim card...thanks for the update pdjy!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    Stock and loving it

Quick update.

Has your indicators gone white since your sim swap?

Quote Originally Posted by cporier91 View Post
    Has your indicators gone white since your sim swap?
    They have gone to white on occasion, but they usually snap back to green fairly quickly.

Also, fwiw, I'd would try the factory reset first ... if that doesn't solve, then give the sim swap + factory reset a whirl
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Stock and loving it

ok, this is really weird now. I have my old g1 here. its running 2.3.3 from Beatmod. i put my sim in and not have experienced the bars going white once yet...but when i have my NS with the same sim the bars go white. So idk if it is something going on with only the NS? or if me dropping my phone a couple times have any effects on it...whose to say. just thought i would share this with y'all. very weird. any comments?

ROM
    Stock

It could be your wifi if your experiencing this on wifi the majority of the time. Also, the rom may have the signal bars always be green, they may have to strip out the changing colors to make it run better on a G1.
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    Stock and loving it

Quote Originally Posted by Jalarm View Post
    It could be your wifi if your experiencing this on wifi the majority of the time. Also, the rom may have the signal bars always be green, they may have to strip out the changing colors to make it run better on a G1.
    yeah, i can see that now. because gb on the g1 sucks lol. anyways, thanks for the reply. I'm use to the bars being white. i just thought that i would experiment with seeing if the same "problem" happened on the old phone. hmm...
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ROM
    Stock and loving it

for those who it may concern...apparently something "bug" like is happening on google's servers side. take a look
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    Stock and loving it

this is a video i made just now showing what happens to me on the daily with disconnection from Google servers. hope this helps