Reinstalling Operating System

bobsonanderson

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I've searched everywhere for information on how to reinstall Android on my
Nexus S but the only sites I've found seem to require third party software
to help with the install. This leaves me a little wary.
I've had my phone for 3 months and recently it's exhibiting some buggy
behaviour. My phone is still under warranty but I will have to send it away
for a week. That's just ridiculous.

*** If it is possible to reinstall Android, can you please point me in the
direction of where to get it from?

I've noticed that google seems to issue their updates from
http://android.clients.google.com/. I would prefer to download from here,
if that's where it is, rather than some other random site.

I would be very grateful if you can help. This has been driving me nuts.

Thanks,
Bobson

bobsonanderson

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I tried Settings->Privacy->Factory data reset.

I also tried the restart with volume up and power button ->recovery->volume up and power button->wipe data/factory reset.

It's still buggy. Do you know how to reinstall Android?

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't rooted or installed custom firmware, a data wipe should bring it back to a clean state (any updates to Android will still remain). I believe the only thing Google issues are updates, not recovery images.

Could you share what exactly is going wrong with your Nexus S?

bobsonanderson

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
When the battery gets to 15%, the warning box appears, I click Ok, it appears again, Ok, again, Ok again... I have to turn it off to stop the low-battery sound and the messages appearing.

At random intervals during the day, the call signal appears as white instead of green even though the signal has three to four bars. When it is like this the G3 and calls don't work very well.

My contacts slowly start to duplicate over time. ie. I end up with about 3 to 5 versions of each contact.

These are a few of the issues p me off.

I was hoping to reformat and reinstall Android. I do so with my computer (windows) every year to clear out the buildup of typical performance loss and buggyness due to changes to the system by the software installed.

I currently have version 2.3.2.

It is really disappointing to find that Android can't be reinstalled. Actually, it is pathetic. Not sure what I'm going to do now.

Thanks for your reply.

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's pretty weird :( Before you give up on the Nexus S though, you should give it a shot at redeeming itself with Android 2.3.3.

Go ahead and follow AC's instructions on updating your Nexus S manually.

If you want to do a sure fire wipe, I suggest you use the "fastboot oem unlock" command. This will wipe everything except the system itself (including USB storage and caches).

You can follow AC's instructions on unlocking the bootloader, then type "fastboot oem lock" at the end to bring it back to the original locked state.

If you don't have the Android SDK installed, you can use the zip file I use for quick debugging. It contains adb, fastboot and the drivers for both.

bobsonanderson

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks TDR.

I'm thinking of doing the unlock thing you suggested before installing 2.3.3. The instructions to the site you gave are

1. Shutdown the phone
2. Hold down volume up + power
3. Now you are in the standard recovery mode
4. Assuming you have 2.3 SDK installed with fastboot (Google around for that info..), now on terminal/windows or Windows cmd depending on OS type "fastboot devices" to check your device can be seem via USB
5. Assuming you device is seen via fastboot devices, now type "fastboot oem unlock"
6. Accept ... and new bootloader is unlocked...

Points 4 and 5 assume things. I do have the 2.3 SDK installed and it has fastboot.exe but it doesn't look like it is 'seem via USB'. I run the 'fastboot devices' but an exception about a missing dll appears.

Assuming I don't know how to use fastboot, what do I need to know?

I am going on leave for a week fishing in the NT so won't have access to a comptuer to check your response, but will when I get back.

incedentally, another intermitant bug is that randomally, the screen turns on after turning it off. It just wont stay off. My battery goes dead well before the end of the day.

Must go.. Thanks for your help.

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing fastboot.exe and AdbWinApi.dll aren't in the same directory. I think for some reason they tend to get split up between "tools" and "platform-tools" directories, just move one of them so they're together.

Perhaps if you're going to unlock the bootloader, you could go one step further and flash a custom recovery. With that, you can restore a backed up image of Android 2.3.3 or custom firmware. This does rewrite the system partition, which is I think what you wanted ;)

While HTC showed some love by releasing an official image for Android 2.3.3 on the Nexus One, AFAIK Samsung/Google haven't blessed us with that. You can download backed up images (with or without root) from this xda thread. Before going on, I suggest you do the official update first, so you receive the all important new radio and bootloader.

Download ClockworkMod Recovery for the Nexus S i9020T (details in this xda thread). Once you unlock the bootloader, you can flash ClockworkMod with the command "fastboot flash recovery 3025-i9020.img". Select the recovery option on the screen, and you'll reboot into the new recovery. If you go down the backup image route, you want to select "backup and restore" from the main menu, then select "restore". To be on the safe side, you might want to go to "wipe", "wipe data/factory restore", then reboot. Clockwork recovery will also be removed when you reboot. (Also, don't be shocked by the new color balance in 2.3.3, that's normal)

If you want to go down the exciting route of custom ROMs, you can select "install zip from sdcard" after you download the appropriate files. I'm personally rocking CyanogenMod 7 on my Nexus S :)

atzaz hassan

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
plz help me I have nokia x android and while I was trying to root the data was wipe now my phone was not working you tell me that how can I install software on it

Muilisx

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I was hoping to reformat and reinstall Android. I do so with my computer (windows) every year to clear out the buildup of typical performance loss and buggyness due to changes to the system by the software installed.

Sorry to bump this but I was reading random stuff online, and somehow came across this post, and just have to respond. Why do you feel the need to reformat every single year? This reminds me of a guy I know who would reformat, and reinstall Windows every single little time something went odd or buggy or should I say every single little time " he thought " something went wrong.

If you're on top of simple computer maintenance such as keeping the OS updated, having some form of AV like Avast, ESET, etc, along with Malwarebytes you're already pretty much good to go. Mix that with good ol' common sense when online and you would never need to ever do a reformat because you'll never even be infected. I've been building and repairing computers since I was 9, and I believe if I recall correctly the last time any of my rigs had any kind of infection was since the age around 11-12. I got really into it around 13.

My currently low end gaming rig is just turned 4 years old, and she's still running the original clean install I gave her 4 years ago. I have not had one virus, or piece of malware since then. I run scans twice a month, every 2 weeks. I scan with ESET, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Adwcleaner. I'll then cmd /sfc scannow on all 3 of my hard drives, and end everything with a nice full defrag of my 2 spindle drives. When I defrag I boot into safe mode, and I run Defraggler by Piriform, and I run a full defrag on my main storage drove which is a Western Digital Black which are the best spindle drive out now. WD is the most reliable. A good chunk of computers I've worked on that hard some form of hard drive issue or complete failure was always a Seagate. I would never buy one, and trust it with my data. I am a Western Digital hard drive customer for life. Anyway, once you do that you boot back into a normal boot, and your computer is fresh and good to go. My rig has been running mint since the build.

Reformatting every year is just ridiculous to me. If you're reformatting because of the sole reason of " the computer acting buggy " is most likely because you have some form of infection. I actually find it hard for myself to get an infection on my machine. I just couldn't see it happening if I tried. To me it's just so easy to run a form of nice light AV in conjunction with MWB, and normal common sense and be fine. It's just easy for me to keep a maintained system running properly, and infection free.

yasin008

Apr 11, 2018
Visit site
I can't update my android system softwear 6.0.1
when i manualy try to update that system shows me prosses failed and also show me that uploading softwear update logs.... on notification bar.......
What can i do now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol