Good app for cleaning out Nexus of unwantd junk

flopo

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Is there an app for this phone that will scan it and clean it of partial, temporary, and generally unneeded junk? Sorry to bother y'all again, but you've been so helpful, hopefully I can return the favor someday.

Thanks,
flopo

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you can try History Eraser? (Be careful, it can clear out stuff you might want to keep like SMSes ;) I also don't think it deals with stuff that gets left behind on the SD)

I used a similar tool on my old HTC Hero without issue.

Dubweizer

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I really like Quick App Manager. If you're looking for a quick and easy way to clean any all's cache, look no further. History Eraser's good for clearing Market searches, Map's info, etcetera.

flopo

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Took your advice and bought it. Wow that's the first app I actually had to pay for, so I splurged. LOL

I'm so excited about this phone after living with that horrible BB for two years. This thing does everything but the laundry!

Thanks!

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
As an aside, I like to occasionally wipe /cache and dalvik from clockwork recovery, as well as between ROMs and kernels.

Have fun with your Nexus S! :)

flopo

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
As an aside, I like to occasionally wipe /cache and dalvik from clockwork recovery, as well as between ROMs and kernels.

Have fun with your Nexus S! :)

You may have to explain that one to me. I got pretty handy at putting in a custom hybrid OS with that crappy BB. But now I have to learn everything all over again. I'm getting to old, my brain is slow. Glad you guys are here.

This is a silly question I'm sure, but this thing does so much, what is the benefit of rooting?

Please don't throw tomatoes!:D

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
This is a silly question I'm sure, but this thing does so much, what is the benefit of rooting?

I agree it's great that we don't have to worry about bloatware taking up space and CPU time, or tethering :) Those are I think the main reasons for rooting. You can also easily install custom ROMs (check out ROM Manager) and ClockworkMod recovery for complete system backups and other low level maintenance.

Mainly I use root access for overclocking, backups using Titanium Backup and some other cool stuff like ShootMe/ScreenshotER and Autostarts. Autostarts is a particularly neat way of controlling when apps start up, much better than using a task killer.