Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

I don't see how the Nexus S got thrown in all of that. Stock 2.3 doesn't feel anything like iOS. I can see that the Nexus S looks somewhat like the iPhone but there are a million other phones that have somewhat the same design, just like almost every car looks exactly alike and has almost the same basic design. Like all televisions now are rectangular, you don't see Samsung, LG, or Sony suing each other for making rectangular televisions. Now if the iPhone had a curve and the Nexus S had the same curve I might just agree with Apple, but I find this ridiculous. Apple may have a case with the Galaxy S phones but I doubt with the Nexus S.
    Last edited by Baconator; 04-18-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Default 3G/S vs Nexus S

Apple is suing Samsung, NOT Google.

I really think this is a hardware issue and that it has little or nothing to with Android and everything to do with the shape and feel of the device. The first time I used a Nexus S I commented to a friend about how it sort of "felt" like an iPhone 3GS except for the curve in the screen, and by this I meant the physical feel, not the software. I think there are several phones that really have this look and feel, and most likely Apple was not even first, but if they patented or copywrited the exact shape then they own it (so to speak). The Fascinate and some other Galaxy S phones fit this - hence this suit. Is it justified -- I don't know, I am not a lawyer -- but there is some resemblance in the look and feel of the hardware.

BTW -- I own three Android phones and no iPhone at this time (Thunderbolt, Atrix, and Inspire), so I am not simply just taking sides, just stating my opinion having used the phone for a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by CowboyVol; 04-18-2011 at 07:25 PM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyVol View Post
    Apple is suing Samsung, NOT Google.

I really think this is a hardware issue and that it has little or nothing to with Android and everything to do with the shape and feel of the device. The first time I used a Nexus S I commented to a friend about how it sort of "felt" like an iPhone 3GS except for the curve in the screen, and by this I meant the physical feel, not the software. I think there are several phones that really have this look and feel, and most likely Apple was not even first, but if they patented or copywrited the exact shape then they own it (so to speak). The Fascinate and some other Galaxy S phones fit this - hence this suit. Is it justified -- I don't know, I am not a lawyer -- but there is some resemblance in the look and feel of the hardware.

BTW -- I own three Android phones and no iPhone at this time (Thunderbolt, Atrix, and Inspire), so I am not simply just taking sides, just stating my opinion having used the phone for a couple of weeks.
    I don't think it is a coincidence that Apple is suing both Samsung and HTC. Samsung and HTC are the two biggest manufacturers of Android phones. Instead of attacking Google directly, Apple is trying to stop the momentum of Android by suing the manufacturers. There are definitely similarities in the appearances of the IPhone and Galaxy S phones. Only time will tell if Apple prevails in this lawsuit.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter73 View Post
    I don't think it is a coincidence that Apple is suing both Samsung and HTC. Samsung and HTC are the two biggest manufacturers of Android phones. Instead of attacking Google directly, Apple is trying to stop the momentum of Android by suing the manufacturers. There are definitely similarities in the appearances of the IPhone and Galaxy S phones. Only time will tell if Apple prevails in this lawsuit.
    and failing miserably at the job....
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The thing that is weird to me is apple knew they would be number 2 in the computer world, Windows is on almost every computer (kind of like android) and apple Knew that since they make their own hardware they wont really get as much market share. Why don't they understand this with Android?
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,708 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Interesting how they are suing the android OS more than the touches sammy put on it. If one skin "looks" like apple it is touchwiz. Seems since they are more concerned with the OS as a whole, google may have a indirect fight on its hands. I admit, of all the android manufacturing, samsung does look alot more like apple than others. Here we go again, apple thinks they have engineering down, and wants no one coming close to their proprietary design. Seems like a door for a larger apple vs google battle maybe?
    TDR

Heh, I'm proud to own a device that Apple takes issue with

I agree that Samsung has tended to be uninspired when it came to phone design, but really, how much variation can you have in the slab form factor without resorting to spurious design elements?

I think Samsung is moving away from an iPhone clone look with the Galaxy S II though.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR View Post
    I agree that Samsung has tended to be uninspired when it came to phone design, but really, how much variation can you have in the slab form factor without resorting to spurious design elements?
    I'm proud that I own a Galaxy S phone now too! The only thing that I could ever see Apple having a problem with is TouchWIZ on the Galaxy S phones. When I first activated my Fascinate, I first thought that TouchWIZ looked very similar to iOS. Maybe this could be the whole reason? Plus, you're right too... there's really no differences in touch screen phones anyway. Everyone follows the same slab style because it works and works well.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalarm View Post
    The thing that is weird to me is apple knew they would be number 2 in the computer world, Windows is on almost every computer (kind of like android) and apple Knew that since they make their own hardware they wont really get as much market share. Why don't they understand this with Android?
    They understand it but they are just fighting the reality at this point. They were so far ahead for a while they got used to it and the mobile and iPod business are what are keeping the rest of the company solvent and I think there is real fear about that.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What I don't get is how Apple thinks they are going to get enough A5 chips for their IPhail 5's when they are manufactured by... Ummm.... SAMSUNG!!! Sorry Steve, had a glitch at the factory.... oh, and those screens are going to be on back order for a few years... good luck with the phone thing!
    "In valor, there is hope."
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Shermanmanman View Post
    I'm proud that I own a Galaxy S phone now too! The only thing that I could ever see Apple having a problem with is TouchWIZ on the Galaxy S phones. When I first activated my Fascinate, I first thought that TouchWIZ looked very similar to iOS. Maybe this could be the whole reason? Plus, you're right too... there's really no differences in touch screen phones anyway. Everyone follows the same slab style because it works and works well.
    ?

I keep hearing this but I don't get it. How is TouchWiz similar to iOS? iOS is a group of up to 10 uniform screens of icons that you can organize. ToichWiz like all other Android versions has all that tucked away in an app drawer and you customize 5-7 home screens with widgets and ONLY the apps you want easy access too. TouchWiz has a unified notification system -- iOS does not. ToichWiz multitasks -- iOS does not (though they tell you it does. How are they similar?

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I guess Apple is just getting scared. I can't wait for Google IO, if Vic Gundotra speaks for anything Android related he is going to bash Apple so much, he did it last year!
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3,Enomothr's v2.6

Default Apple can't sue Google, so they sue everyone else

I'm going to try and clear this up based on what I've read.

Apple is suing because of Android, not the HW. The physical feel of the phone is not at issues here, and the patents surrounding appearance are very limited. As another post pointed out, this is why you don't see Sony suing Philips for making rectangular TV's. Any HW aspects that are mentioned in the suit would be related to using the software, and it's these software patents that Apple feels have been infringed upon.

Apple probably can't sue Google over this because Google doesn't make any phones themselves. Instead, they sue the manufacturers of Android phones. Touchwiz and Sense are not related to this issue either - as evidenced by Apple's inclusion of the Nexus S in the lawsuit.

This is a lawsuit saying Android infringes on their iOS utility patents and nothing else.
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

When you see the pictures they aren't doing a good comparison. They are comparing the the iPhone's homescreen and the Galaxy S' app drawer, not the Galaxy S' homescreen. App drawer and home screen are different.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Google sues everyone who does better them them.

I'm not familiar with the law suit but I'll say this. Hardware... It's with round or rectangle. theres not much you can do with a glass screen.

software... Unless you take the windows approach your left with icons... I don't see amazon suing apple because the call them I books and pretend like they are something special.