Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Talk Video Chat not working over 3G

I updated to 2.3.4 last night and tested out the new video chat over WiFi last night and it worked great. I then went to try it on 3G but I get a message saying I need to be connected to WiFi. I have my Nexus S on T-Mobile.

Anyone getting Google Talk video chat to work over 3G?

-Brett

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I am getting the same message. i read somewhere that it is a tmobile limitation. Can anyone confirm that please. Coz in the press release by google it said it should work over wifi or 3G
    Samsungian

ROM
    stock/stock, stock/stock

maybe they meant Sprint 3G/4G?

ROM
    Stock

I have the 19020a model that works on ATT 3G. As soon as I get my OTA Ill be sure to post and let everyone know if it works for my 3G

I used it on 3G today just fine...hmmmm....
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Just tried doing it over 3G again, still no luck.

How did you get it to work? Are you on T-Mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by graywolf007 View Post

i have a nexus s on tmobile and have not been able to video chat over 3g either... whats the deal?

Just manually installed the 2.3,. 4 update, and tested 3g video call. It works just fine, im on tmobile

Quote Originally Posted by bmenriquez View Post
    i have a nexus s on tmobile and have not been able to video chat over 3g either... whats the deal?

Yep, T-Mobile here in JAX.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Hmmmm interesting, I have a Nexus S on T-Mobile as well, no go they said it would only work on some carriers, so I imagined that they tested on Sprint and T-Mobile, this is weird.

Sent from my Xoom
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I downloaded the Vtok app in the market, lets me us gTalk on 3G. Works pretty good, I'll be using that until Google Talk app starts working on 3G.

Brett
    Thanked by:
    scaots 

ROM
    Stock Gingerbread

I'm using the T-Mobile version but on a different carrier. GTalk video calls work over 3G for me. Sounds like a T-Mobile issue.

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

I downloaded the Vtok app in the market, lets me us gTalk on 3G. Works pretty good, I'll be using that until Google Talk app starts working on 3G.

Brett
    Vtok is good recommendation. Works on my N1 since it doesn't get the voice and video update. Has some noise and picture is of course pixelated, but hey voice and video on the go!

I think it is a Tmo issue since my NS also won't let me Vid chat over 3g...if that is the case, very disappointed. I got a NS/Android for the ability to basically do whatever I wanted/Google let me. If Tmo can block this crap, I'll be pissed.

Really all the more odd, as T-Mo used to advertise Video chat over 3g/4g or wifi as a why to stick it to iphone and att

Default same problem

Actually the very first day i updated my Nexus S (T-mobile) so that i could use the video chat it worked over 3G while i was driving actually (i know not the best idea) but it worked while i was talking to a buddy on his computer. Then literally the day after we tried the same thing and it said only WIFI. That didnt make any sense.

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast Nightly

I have a Nexus S on Sprint, and it works fine on 3G, in Indianapolis.
    "I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde