Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Default Other than 4G, is the Nexus S on T-Mobile any different from Sprint's version?

Is there any notable difference between the Sprint Nexus S and T-Mobile Nexus S? Can the T-Mobile version utilize Google Voice as well?
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World
    Zombie

Global Posts
    1,826 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz View Post
    Is there any notable difference between the Sprint Nexus S and T-Mobile Nexus S? Can the T-Mobile version utilize Google Voice as well?
    no there is no other difference and yes it can use google voice but sprint is allowing you to combine the numbers where as on tmobile unless you port your number it would be a separate number.
    Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5
    iOS: iPhone 5s
    Windows Phone:Lumia Icon
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Well the Nexus S of T-Mobile does take advantage of the HSPA+ "4G" T-Mobile has so if you live in a "4G" city then your Nexus S should get faster speeds, maybe even faster than the Nexus S 4G
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

So it can get to 4G speeds to some extent? How are the 3G speeds?

So if I were to use the Sprint one, I can use GV and not worry about my minutes decreasing?
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

ROM
    Stock

The Sprint Nexus S is also like a mm thicker :P

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Also, it kinda seemed when I looked at a NS4G that the backs are kinda different shades of black.
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz View Post
    So it can get to 4G speeds to some extent? How are the 3G speeds?

So if I were to use the Sprint one, I can use GV and not worry about my minutes decreasing?
    The 3G speeds are good but I am not too sure because I am using my Nexus S on EDGE. The Nexus S could probably get better speeds than the Nexus S 4G in some areas.

Nexus S on T-Mo takes advantage of HSPA +, but isn't fully compliant. yeah, it's confusing. In a HSPA+ 3G area, I get better speed on my Nexus S (a steady 5-7 Mbs down, 1-5 up, ping in the 60s) than i do with the G2X, which is always over 2 or 3 mbs down, but not as consistent.

In what T-mobile calles a 4G HSPA+ area (again, I'm as confused as you are here lol) I get a maximum 7.2 mb/s down on the Nexus S, but have seen 13 mbs down on the G2x. At Google I/O at the hotel, I was seeing 6.9 mbs down on the Nexus S, and 11.5 down on the G2X.

I'll be honest -- unless I'm tethering a computer, i see no difference in speed for browsing or streaming music/video once i get past ~3 mbs. Big difference on a PC while tethering though.

I hope I've throughly confused everyone lol. I no longer even care about the G's. I just call it normal, fast, and zomg.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리