Voice recognition keeps popping up randomly

tarverator

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I have only had my shiny wonderful new Nexus S (2.3.4) for a few days, and I think I may have stumbled upon the first Annoying Issue. Don't we all love technology? I do! Really!

Something keeps popping up the "Speak now" voice recognition screen on a random basis. At first I thought I was touching something, but it has happened with the phone just sitting there not touching it. I also thought maybe the aftermarket plastic case is curling around the screen and long-pressing the Search button somehow, but it happens with the case off too. I have not noticed any pattern of what application I am in, or have recently used, with the behaviour.

This seems to come and go, not happening for hours, then happening frequently even every few minutes for a while, then it goes away again. It is becoming Annoying.

What is it? Is there a fix?

Thanks!

tarverator

May 22, 2011
Visit site
No, I have not tried a factory reset. The device is brand new; I got it on Friday and today is Monday.

Does a reset do anything for it that being new out of the box does not already do for it? One of the first things I did was update to 2.3.4.

If I don't hear any better suggestions, I can try a factory reset, but the nice people at the Fido store synced all my contacts from the old BlackBerry, and it would be a pain to have to retrace those steps or waste the time to figure that out at home.

This is starting to look like middle two of the four soft buttons are spontaneously generating phantom presses. I was just looking at the phone (not touching it) and from the home screen the menu popped up, as if I had pressed the second ("Menu") button. I was staring right at it, and as it happened, the button blinked, just like it does under a finger touch! Moreover, it isn't just popping up voice recognition search, but regular search sometimes now too. (Like a regular press vs. long press.)

How bizarre!

Spuds93#AC

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey, check out this article from Mobile Syrup:

Canadian Nexus S’ experiencing voice search bug? | MobileSyrup.com

Seems like a Google employee has sent this on to be investigated because he picked it up in the Google Help forums. I started my own thread on this (http://forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-nexus-s/86468-weird-issue.html ) and haven't seem to find an answer. Of course the speculation is Hardware/software issues but the main thing they have determined is the 3G baseband as the issue.

Good luck, hopefully this thread takes off and some solutions can be developed.

Sprattyyy

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a Goole Nexus and for the past few weeks when im listening to music the Google voice search pops up is annoying me please could someone tell me how disable it
keeps popping up saying "Speak now" voice recognition screen on a random basis.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08