1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Overheating?

So I just got my second phone, a replacement for my original Nexus S. My last one kept getting really hot, like 105F and a little higher. Then eventually the phone stopped working. I keep hearing that Androids tend to run hot in general, especially when charging. Charging is where I tend to see it get really hot. Does anyone know anything about safe operating temperatures for phones? Do you think I should send it in and get a new one?
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

My Nexus S never overheats, but I have heard this problem before. I think the phone should be okay but if it keeps occurring and becomes a serious problem I think you should send it in.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock

Thanks baconator, I appreciate the reply. Hopefully its not a defect cause I bought mine while in Canada. Damn ATT ><

ROM
    Stock and loving it

When charging mine it gets warm, never hot (unless using a lot of data while charging it will become "hot") hmm, maybe you get a bad egg. i would definitely send it back in!

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

To be honest every Android device I have owned gets hot, I do a lot I game I text I use Facebook and IM and download like crazy. Never has my Nexus S just turn off on me. It gets hot but that'd because I barely let my Nexus S go. I think it's because it's a single core processor that it works harder, so maybe these dual core devices might just be a whole lot more cooler. Especially the ones that are clocked high.

Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock

Would either of you be kind enough to give me average temperatures when you are charging? Mines like 38C and its taking forever to charge lately :[ And idle is usually 32C with nothing in the background. My old Nexus did this before I got this replacement and Im nervous seeing as Ive had this replacement 3 weeks...

ROM
    Zedomax OC 1.6 Ghz

Try turning down your sync refresh rate, that usually makes phones get really hot.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Not charging, 26C
    Charging, 31C

Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10

ROM
    Stock

Mine over heats when the screen brightness is up.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Don't get me wrong, every device overheats, its present in every device. But if your device is playing Dungeon Defenders and music under the sunlight with high screen brightness, be prepared for the device to shut off. However if your device is just idle, have it replaced... because that could just eventually render the hardware useless in a couple of months.

Sent from my Nexus S
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Overheating?

So I was going to send my nexus off to get repaired and I decided to try one last thing. I killed the phones battery and calibrated it overnight with the phone turned off. After that, it seems to run fine. Ill keep you posted but for anyone with this problem, try this before sending in