iPhone 4 VS Google Nexus S

bsage23

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I think the main difference here is that most posters here came from ios so they actuality know what they are talking about. Most ios guys have never owned a android device. They are blown away by the notification bar that ios5 is going to have and have no idea that android has our since 1.5, (we are on 2.3 now btw)

EXACTLY! The only people I know who have gone from Android to iOS are those people on Verizon who were only on Android because they couldn't get iOS originally.

Warm Beans

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the main difference here is that most posters here came from ios so they actuality know what they are talking about. Most ios guys have never owned a android device. They are blown away by the notification bar that ios5 is going to have and have no idea that android has our since 1.5, (we are on 2.3 now btw)

That's inaccurate, all posters that advised me to stay with iOS claimed they had tried both and preferred iOS.

donut

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Keep your iPhone wait for iOS5 and see if you like it. You should wait for the next Nexus phone to switch. I sync my music with iTunes using iTunes Agent.

rodeiguez102

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have never owned a iOS device (I most likely would have if there was one on sprint). But I have obviously played with the iphone many many times, I have a couple friends that have one, & Ive played with it at apple stores here & there..

I personally like the iphone & ios, but not enough for me to switch to it. Usually when my friends with ios devices come over I am usually the one on top with my rooted nexus s 4g, one of my friends was showing me a music service on ios $15 a month for unlimited music playback, then I showed him a little app called music junk for android, end of story lol. I also obviously won in the speech to text department, free Google Navigation, the list goes on & on. To me its also how much customization you can do on android, switching a Rom makes you feel like you have a new phone, flashing roms becomes fun & addictive lol. So here's what I think, if you want a smart phone that just does what we expect out of smart phone, & don't care too much about customizing, then go with the iphone. But if you want a smart phone that exceeds what you expect a smart phone to do, & you want the ability to customize in a big way then a Google Nexus device is the answer.

That's my 2 cents.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I own an iPhone 4 and a NS4G and I'd say make your decision based on your needs. If you use a phone primarily as an entertainment/media device and communication is second, get the iPhone. If communication is primary and media/entertainment is secondary, get the nexus.

I use my iPhone for music and games and that's it. I don't have it syncing to any of my email or calendar accounts or anything. All calls are forwarded from it to my nexus. I use my nexus as a communication device and don't (generally) use it for music or games. I do enjoy Pandora and jango on it but that's it :)

Im an android fanboy, obviously, but I'm secure enough in my fanboyism to admit that ios beats android in some areas but the areas that android beats ios are more important to me.

Warm Beans

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok.... I've also heard some things about the Samsung Galaxy SII.

I really don't know what to get now. Can anyone suggest for me the best Android smartphone to get in Canada? I am on Rogers currently. Thanks!

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
A new phone for the sake of a new phone, and don't have a clue what to get? Sounds to me like you should just stick with what you have until you're sure.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
A new phone for the sake of a new phone, and don't have a clue what to get? Sounds to me like you should just stick with what you have until you're sure.
/\/\ this /\/\
also you posted this is the NS4G area, not the NS. If your not in the united states you can't use a NS4G. Thread moved to the GSM variant

Last edited:

Warm Beans

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
/\/\ this /\/\
also you posted this is the NS4G area, not the NS. If your not in the united states you can't use a NS4G. Thread moved to the GSM variant

Sorry about that.

The main reason I'm doing this is because my brother really wants an iPhone. He is willing to pay for ME to upgrade to an Android phone so that he gets my old iPhone. Thats why I want a new Android Smartphone. I think my options for Rogers in Canada at the moment are the Nexus S and the HTC Desire. I think the Nexus S wins that battle? Any other Android phones for ROGERS that you guys can suggest?

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I would wait for something a lot better, but at the price of 50 to 100 dollars? That's a steal, don't ask questions just take it. Then wait for another Android device, because this device really is just as good as any other dual core device.

Sent from my Nexus S

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
i've had both...if you can get the NS for 50-100 and not sign a contract, why not. You can play around with both phones....if buying the NS is a long term thing, I would wait and see what the IP5 and the rumored Nexus Prime bring.

Rahabib

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
i've had both...if you can get the NS for 50-100 and not sign a contract, why not. You can play around with both phones....if buying the NS is a long term thing, I would wait and see what the IP5 and the rumored Nexus Prime bring.
Ill just give the same advice I tell people with the whole Mac and PC.

Unless there is a feature you are missing or dont like about the iPhone4, why change? If there is something you truley need by changing, you are only introducing a new learning curve to get relatively the same features.

Its all about personal preference.

That said, $50-$100 is a pretty good upgrade price. Its up to you to determine if its an upgrade. I would go to a store an play with the phone first though. I have heard complaints from iPhone users that android feels backward and un-intuitive. I feel the same about iOS. Its all about personal preference.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

Except that you would be perpetually waiting! :p

I think Rahabib's advice is the most sound. Go and mess around with both phones and choose which you're comfortable with. Like Rahabib, iOS isn't intuitive for me. I really like having the pop-up menu key!

Last edited:

dobiegillis

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I would go for it. I used ios for 2 years on a 3GS then a 4. Both were jailbroken which while novel was generally a PITA because upgrades were halted or problematic. Before I bought my nexus s I used a HTC Glacier (mytouch 4G) for 6 months and now I've had this phone for a couple of months. I will say that Android is not as silky smooth as ios but being able to control 5x more of the features makes up for it. Plus I really like the way the nexus s feels in my hand...way better than my HTC or that blocky i 4. My main complaint about the nexus s is the 7mbps HSPA radio. I really miss the HTC's 14.4 "4G" radio (which is in a drawer btw). Of course none of that matters since iPhone 4 can't match those speeds anyway. Oh also this thing is a fingerprint magnet but so is the iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Makai5

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I am also coming form a iphone 4, I loved the iphone but I wanted more out of it and I did not want to have to jailbreak to get it. Now I see what all the hub bub is all about. There are somethings I like and don't like about android but the pro's out way the con's

d_pang

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I had both phones, but you should wait for the galaxy nexus. Coming from an iphone user the nexus s will definitely fell cheap in the hand