Ok so I'm sure most everyone in this forum has figured out their way of getting netflix installed on their LG Optimus. I'm also pretty sure that a lot have run into hefty problems. I would like to share my experience for those that still haven't got it down or that are just starting
-Note that you need to be rooted to get this done so I'm assuming that you already went through the wonderful tutorial by KSmithinNY
-Also, I'm a tightwad when it comes to apps so this route is all free minus buying the phone
1. I found the modified .apk for netflix that I'll include in this (not sure if it's allowed, if not a mod can just remove it or ask me to) NVM:So for some reason it won't let me upload it so heres a link from the xda developer site
2. Plugged my Opt into usb and turned on mass storage in notification menu (make sure to be in debugging mode)
3. Went into opt's storage and created a new folder named "Netflix" in which I dropped the .apk and then turned off usb storage
4. Got an installer ( I used AppInstaller ) opened it, gave it superuser, navigated to the Netflix folder, and installed the .apk and waited for it to install
NOW, this is where things got interesting and I had to do more digging
When installed I moved it over to my SD card and opened it and everything worked fine. Then got to playback where I found a green bar at the top (I can hang that wasn't that bad) BUT I began to notice I was listening to freaking chipmunks talking
AND HERE'S THE FIX (at a cost which is why this should be up to intermediate users)
It all has to do with build.prop which is used to define a phone to the apps (I suppose) and guess what we gotta edit it soooo...
1. Get something that can delve into the depths of your phone, the most popular is a paid app, screw that im poor so get ES File Explorer or similar
2. Open it up and grant superuser
3. In the upper left hand corner there should be a SD card icon. Click it and it'll change to a Home icon.
4. Navigate to system and then to a little file called build.prop and before you do ANYTHING back that thang up (copy it then navigate elsewhere and paste)
5. Open that up with a text editor and find
6. Save, exit, reboot, no more chipmunk
Ok so I did alllll of this and watched my oh so wholesome movies WHENNNN I discovered that swype no longer worked and I had just been fiddling with Titanium backup and deleted something a little too big for my britches (freaking out)
I figured out by luck of a warning screen that the "swype keyboard was configured for another device" *ding*. I like swype, so I changed everything back and it works fine (sidenote; swype probably isn't the only thing that has problems with this patching, just the first thing I noticed)
NOW my question to the uberusers in this forum:
1. Is there a way to get rid of that green line before they come out with a netflix for the optimus (If they even do)?
2. I've been wondering if I can use something like tasker to go in and edit those couple lines with the click of a widget or something between the two lines of code ( 509 vs. Vision ) SO that all I have to do is click the widget and restart instead of going in and manually changing the code, eh?
This is day 6 of owning my first android device, thank you all and BTW Please don't let this thread die, I would of killed to have this before I spent hours trying to figure out everything on the spot