[How-To] Root LG Optimus T

mpridmore816

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
New to rooting

I'm seriously considering rooting my Optimus T, and I have a question. If I root (using the z4root method), do I have to install a custom ROM? My main reason for rooting is to get rid of all the crapware/bloatware that was pre-installed, and to possibly overclock and manage memory better. I'd appreciate some wisdom about whether I absolutely must install a custom ROM. Thanks for your help.

crowkiller

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously considering rooting my Optimus T, and I have a question. If I root (using the z4root method), do I have to install a custom ROM? My main reason for rooting is to get rid of all the crapware/bloatware that was pre-installed, and to possibly overclock and manage memory better. I'd appreciate some wisdom about whether I absolutely must install a custom ROM. Thanks for your help.

I ROM'd mine to strip out everything and rebuild it to my taste. My wife's phone I rooted to be able to use Titanium Backup to remove some bloatware. Did not ROM her phone and she's completely happy with it.

Not sure if I'd overclock without flashing a ROM built to handle it but I'll defer to more knowledgeable posters on that.

I run the devoid ROM btw.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
After you type su look at your phone if superuser app is installed you need to hit allow so that you can gain access
I'm still getting "$". I typed many times "su" but there is "permission denied" error. Its still "$". How can i figure it out? :(

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks KSmithInNY i had just got my optimus t yesterday and rooted today and followed the instructions and it went smoothly...now what to do next? rom or not to rom...that is the question lol

ad.2803

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey firstly thanks a lot for the tutorial KSmithInNY.... I was almost done with the whole process but when i come to cd /data/local/temp it executes , but the next step when we type./rageagainstthecage the phone is diconnecting propely but it is not reconnectin.... any help?? what should i do?? later i typed adb devices and sadly my phone was not getting recoognised... what should i do???:(
IT IS JUST NOT RECONNECTING

ScareCrow87

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Very disappointed here. Not exactly noob - have rooted many a phone, but not an LG until now, and not now. Like so many others, my phone won't reconnect after the adb disconnect, no matter how long I wait. And unfortunately, z4root just crashes it every time. Well, almost. Once it seemed like it was following through but then restarted the phone and didn't give me any kind of 'success' indication. I checked, but no root. I NEED to get this rooted to get rid of all the bloatware and allow me to use it as a wifi hotspot. Been trying for about 5 hours now. Time for a break
:'(

mgriffith01

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Very disappointed here. Not exactly noob - have rooted many a phone, but not an LG until now, and not now. Like so many others, my phone won't reconnect after the adb disconnect, no matter how long I wait. And unfortunately, z4root just crashes it every time. Well, almost. Once it seemed like it was following through but then restarted the phone and didn't give me any kind of 'success' indication. I checked, but no root. I NEED to get this rooted to get rid of all the bloatware and allow me to use it as a wifi hotspot. Been trying for about 5 hours now. Time for a break
:'(

I followed KSmith's instructions to the letter on my Optimus T and everything worked well. I googled Z4Root from my Optimus T and downloaded the .apk directly to the root of my SDCard. Worked flawlessly...

I would start from scratch and follow KSmith's instructions for how to Root, Recover etc..without ever using a computer...

ScareCrow87

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement MGriffith. I feel that I have been following KSmith's instructions to the letter - several times. But I will try again. Did you root your phone recently, and was it fully updated from the store first? It seems that noone had a problem at first and then suddenly alot of people are having the same issue, that the firmware has been updated to stop this. By the way, saw from the other post that you're a Veteran - thank you for your service. I am currently doing my predoctoral internship at a VA, and specifically chose that with the intention of remaining in the VA system as a career (psychologist).

mgriffith01

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the internship and the plan to stay in the VA system, there really aren't enough good providers for all of the needs we have.

Having said that, yes, I rooted my phone last night. I was running T-Mobile update V10L when I rooted. I did all the prep work before DLing Z4Root and just went to the browser on my phone, googled "Z4Root.apk"

Here's the prep work I did:

From the home screen of your phone press Menu > Settings > Applications > check mark "unknown sources". This will allow you to install Z4Root without an error.
-From the home screen of your phone press Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark "USB debugging". This is necessary for Z4Root to work.

Best of luck

ScareCrow87

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
yeah, working like a charm now. Except that although I used Titanium to uninstall AppPack, I can't get rid of the icons for that or the two apps associated with it (T-mobile Mail and Highlight). Everything else is perfect.

wetwilly5519

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting 'device not' found after I plug in my phone with debugging on, start sdk manager, and attempted to adb push the files. I tried to list the devices with adb devices but nothing showed up. My device manager sees the phone and all of the drivers are installed. Do I have to fully update the SDK manager?

awersF

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
hey thanks so much for this guide, followed it step by step and had no problems at all. i was just wondering, if something went wrong how could "un-root" my phone? on the z4root you hit un-root and it restarts and you're un-rooted, how do you do it with this method?
thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol