Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Optimus T OTA Update

Has anyone installed the T-Mobile OTA update for the Optimus T? My hotspot tethering works currently...just don't want to screw myself out of it. Anyone know what the update included?

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

If you are getting the notice for a OTA could you either run adb logcat and send me the log or download (aLogcat) from the market open it so you know its running in the background.Then after the notice pops up go back into aLogcat and save then post or send me the log.Thanks.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by beezy View Post
    If you are getting the notice for a OTA could you either run adb logcat and send me the log or download (aLogcat) from the market open it so you know its running in the background.Then after the notice pops up go back into aLogcat and save then post or send me the log.Thanks.
    Are you asking for someone to take a logcat AND take the OTA?

Sent from my Optimus T
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Default OTA Update

I have only been using an android phone for a week and don't know for sure what was changed but the T-Mobile rep who helped me with the update said as far as he could tell it just gave the Optimus wifi calling.
    Hope that helps.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Radicalnm View Post
    I have only been using an android phone for a week and don't know for sure what was changed but the T-Mobile rep who helped me with the update said as far as he could tell it just gave the Optimus wifi calling.
    Hope that helps.
    That would be awesome. It was a promised feature that I was looking forward to. I hope they release an official change log.

Sent from my Optimus T
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Radicalnm View Post
    Hope that helps.
    Sounds promising. Your wifi hotspot/tethering still work?
    Former Nexus One, Moto Cliq, Samsung Behold 2 and MyTouch 3G user. Current iPhone 3.1.3 JB (T-Mobile) and LG Optimus T user.
    -Also on the TiPb forums as UhanRodric
    Twitter.com/uhanrodric

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    Are you asking for someone to take a logcat AND take the OTA?

Sent from my Optimus T
    No way am I saying to install the update,I just want someone to get us a log so we can get download link for the OTA and share it.Also just so we can see what is in the update.

I did the OTA update and yes, I saw the WIFI calling app. Then I realized I got a problem - even if the WIFI calling was off and the WIFI policy was to turn it off when the phone went to sleep, it never turned off and it drained the battery.
    I saw there was a WIFI calling app in the background. I tried to force it to stop, but it didn't. However, after that the WIFI would turn off when the phone went to sleep.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post
    I did the OTA update and yes, I saw the WIFI calling app. Then I realized I got a problem - even if the WIFI calling was off and the WIFI policy was to turn it off when the phone went to sleep, it never turned off and it drained the battery.
    I saw there was a WIFI calling app in the background. I tried to force it to stop, but it didn't. However, after that the WIFI would turn off when the phone went to sleep.
    The wifi radio uses less battery than the 3G radio. So keeping wifi on doesn't drain the battery.

Sent from my Optimus T

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    The wifi radio uses less battery than the 3G radio. So keeping wifi on doesn't drain the battery.
    How about the 2G radio vs. WIFI battery consumption? I have disabled the 3G because of the speaker problem I posted about in another thread?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you have it set to GSM only then you aren't getting any data at all. The 3G radio is turned off, and so is wifi. So technically you get better battery leaving GSM only on and WIFI off. If you have set to only receive EDGE for data service then I would say that WIFI probably uses less battery. I haven't tested this myself, though. I only know that I get much better battery life when I use wifi vs 3G.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post
    Can you still usenthe wireless hotspot tether after the update?
    Former Nexus One, Moto Cliq, Samsung Behold 2 and MyTouch 3G user. Current iPhone 3.1.3 JB (T-Mobile) and LG Optimus T user.
    -Also on the TiPb forums as UhanRodric
    Twitter.com/uhanrodric

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

I upgraded to the MT4g from the MT3g and the NEW CONTRACT is whats screwing people I got blocked after the third day however......

I have spoofed UA on both Firefox 3.6.3 and IE8 and here I am!! This is the UA String for MyTouch 4g, they won't block my phone You can get your string off your phone by visiting www enhanceie.com/ua.aspx Any mobile UA will work but its wise to use your own. Good luck!

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; myTouch4G Build/ FRG83) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

installed the update this morning and still have wifi hotspot, plus the wifi calling. im a little confused on the point of wifi calling though. apparently, it still uses your minutes even when calling on wifi, so i cant see the point other than having better call quality. are there any other benefits?

ROM
    mik_os CM7

Quote Originally Posted by Reever View Post
    installed the update this morning and still have wifi hotspot, plus the wifi calling. im a little confused on the point of wifi calling though. apparently, it still uses your minutes even when calling on wifi, so i cant see the point other than having better call quality. are there any other benefits?
    If you live in the sticks and get terrible cell coverage you can use your home wifi to make calls.

If you're out of the country and able to connect to wifi at a hotel or cafe you can make calls without incurring outrageous roaming charges.

These are the two major benefits I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Turducken View Post
    If you live in the sticks and get terrible cell coverage you can use your home wifi to make calls.

If you're out of the country and able to connect to wifi at a hotel or cafe you can make calls without incurring outrageous roaming charges.

These are the two major benefits I can see.
    okay. that makes great sense. im a little bias since i get great coverage in my area, but if i do get into an area that sucks, i'll probably be in love with wifi calling.

Can anyone confirm that the update has come out with wifi calling capabilities. I live out in the sticks and need the wifi calling to be able to use my phone. I have been speaking to tech support but they are well to be nice useless. I was able to get one person who knew somewhat what was going on. He stated that there is an update that will be coming out but doesnt know when it will be. Please help and confirm that there is the update out there. I love my Optimus T and would hate to have to leave Tmo just because i dont get service where i live. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenDBlades View Post
    Can anyone confirm that the update has come out with wifi calling capabilities. I live out in the sticks and need the wifi calling to be able to use my phone. I have been speaking to tech support but they are well to be nice useless. I was able to get one person who knew somewhat what was going on. He stated that there is an update that will be coming out but doesnt know when it will be. Please help and confirm that there is the update out there. I love my Optimus T and would hate to have to leave Tmo just because i dont get service where i live. Thank you in advance.
    Yes the OTA update brought wifi calling.

Go to the t mobile website, pull up the Optimus, go to features, Left hand side of the screen, "wifi and mobile calling"
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +

Thank you, now does anyone know a way to get your phone to get the update? LOL i know i know im annoying. but i REALLY need that application. Tmo just says it doesnt exist for that phone. go figure that one.

It will either be
    Menu > settings > system update
    Or
    Menu > settings > firmware update

You must be on the network to do it I believe. I don't think you can update over wifi.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    It will either be
    Menu > settings > system update
    Or
    Menu > settings > firmware update

You must be on the network to do it I believe. I don't think you can update over wifi.
    Yeah about that... I have done that until i turn blue in the face and it just sits there and spins round and round not even making an attempt at connecting to the 3g network. Eh oh well looks like i have to deal with it until Tmo decides my device needs the update. Thanks for the help though. At least now i know that it is supposed to come to my phone.

ROM
    mik_os CM7

Settings>About phone>Software Update

The last time I checked for an update I got a response saying no update needed. However, I just tried again and it just hangs. My guess is that the issue is on Tmos side. You might consider contacting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Turducken View Post
    Settings>About phone>Software Update

The last time I checked for an update I got a response saying no update needed. However, I just tried again and it just hangs. My guess is that the issue is on Tmos side. You might consider contacting them.
    I have. Tmo is worse than Sprint when it comes to information. They say the phone isnt supposed to get it never will. LOL left hand doesnt know what the right is doing.

FYI for those looking to get the wifi calling update. I just got mine and here is how i was able to get it. I rooted my phone using the Z4root found [APP] z4root - xda-developers and then wiped my phone (however this was accedental, not sure if it had anything to do with it.) then i made a call and did the *#*#checkin#*#* (243246) and then went to do the software update. It instantly registered that the update was available (11mb) and whadya know there it was. Wifi Calling