[How To] Make Optimus One ROM report as Optimus T (updated 7/14)

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Like many of you I use an Optimus One ROM on my Optimus T. However, when using a forum app my phone reports as an LG-P500 instead of an LG-P509. When installing an app the language may default to something other than US English and phone numbers may default to a different country code. So, let's change that...

Note - this is completely optional and will have no bearing on performance etc. It can be done with any Optimus One ROM whether its mik_os CM7, devoid froyo or anything in between. Also, I assume that you're somewhat knowledgeable since you've rooted, installed a custom recovery, discovered that our phone is identical in all but name to the Optimus One, and you've flashed a ROM. I won't answer questions on how to get to this point (read/search forums/internet).

As always make a nandroid backup just in case.

Step 1

Open build.prop in a Unix friendly text editor (located at /system) or directly from your phone with Root Explorer and edit the following lines:
find:
Code:
ro.product.model=LG-P500
ro.product.locale.language=**
ro.product.locale.region=**

replace with:
Code:
ro.product.model=LG-P509
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US

Reboot and look at Settings>About Phone it should say LG-P509

Step 2

If Settings>Language & keyboard> is reporting English (United States) then you're done.
If not, and it's not a selectable language, install MoreLocale 2 and select English (United States)
Check Settings>Language & keyboard> now it'll report English (United States).

Last edited:

EYinHunt

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How To] Make Optimus One ROM report as Optimus T

although It did bother me to have my phone report that it was an LG-500 instead of LG-509, for some reason I still can't change the language to English (US)... it's not an option. When I went to re-install my Amazon MP3 app, it installs the UK version no matter what I do, and other Google apps show me UK locations... So, the build.prop file must only be used by the phone in reporting.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site

although It did bother me to have my phone report that it was an LG-500 instead of LG-509, for some reason I still can't change the language to English (US)... it's not an option. When I went to re-install my Amazon MP3 app, it installs the UK version no matter what I do, and other Google apps show me UK locations... So, the build.prop file must only be used by the phone in reporting.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

There is an app on the Market that may help MoreLocale 2. I've uninstalled the LG keyboard (AIME.apk) and I've installed the English Gingerbread Keyboard to system/app this may explain why I'm not having the same issue. Settings>Language & keyboard> is reporting English (United States).

Please let me know if either solution works for you and I'll update the How To.

Last edited:

EYinHunt

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

There is an app on the Market that may help MoreLocale 2. I've uninstalled the LG keyboard (AIME.apk) and I've installed the English Gingerbread Keyboard to system/app this may explain why I'm not having the same issue. Settings>Language & keyboard> is reporting English (United States).

Please let me know if either solution works for you and I'll update the How To.
Sorry for the delay in responding...

Many thanks for resolving the locale issue. I installed the MoreLocale 2 app and that seems to have fixed the problem I was having with installing the Amazon Cloud Player app although it still does not list English (US) in the options for setting it under Language & Keyboard. I'm not quite sure what the ramifications/ advantages of installing the Gingerbread keyboard (or which one to use)... I'm using the Android keyboard and other than the fact that it doesn't respond like the iPhone keyboard (which I just switched to T-Mobile from), such as having the selected key show above your input and only disappear when you lift your finger (which I must admit, I prefer), it seems quite adequate. Are there advantages that I am unaware of?

Anyway... thanks a million for your help.

PS - If I did a Backup before I installed the Megatron V1 ROM, would I be able to go back to the stock ROM from T-Mobile that came on the phone, or is that not possible at this point?

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site

...although it still does not list English (US) in the options for setting it under Language & Keyboard.
To be expected. It is however reporting as English (United States). This is what we're after.

I'm not quite sure what the ramifications/ advantages of installing the Gingerbread keyboard
It's an alternative to installing MoreLocale 2 achieving the same goal, reporting English (United States) as the language.

If I did a Backup before I installed the Megatron V1 ROM, would I be able to go back to the stock ROM from T-Mobile that came on the phone, or is that not possible at this point?
This is Android, anything's possible! :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz