Wi fi calling

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to T-mobile. I got the Note 3 for about almost 2 weeks. This blue wi fi calling icon just appeared 2 days ago, and it wasn't there before that. I ask the T-mobile guy about it and he says it's normal, and it might of just appeared because it might of gotten a update.

I'm just curious to why it just appeared 2 days ago when it wasn't there when I got the phone. I also noticed that my cell signal has dropped to 0, it used to be at 3 bars.

This was what it looked like for almost 2 weeks.

Screenshot_2013-10-19-13-54-26.jpg

This is current as of 2 days ago.

Screenshot_2013-10-23-13-47-11.jpg

Is this suppose to be normal for T-Mobile to have that blu wi fi icon there at all times when wi fi is on?

hatchex

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The pictures aren't showing up for my phone, but it's probably because you have WiFi calling enabled? It'll pop up when you are connected with WiFi and have WiFi calling enabled.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
you also have the option to make wifi preferred or cellular preferred. I am guessing they might be doing work on a tower near you, you lost cell service so the phone defaulted to wifi to keep you in service.

BTW - Pretty Girl on you screen.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It just means your calls will go through wifi instead of cell towers. That's why your cell signal is gone. It's normal. Once you disconnect from wifi it will go back to cellular.

You can change the option by pulling down your notification bar when you are connected to wifi calling and tap the notification. From there you can tell it to use wifi for calls (default) or tell it to use cellular.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, if you all say it's normal, I feel better. I was just curious as to why the icon just showed up a few days ago when I had the phone for almost 2 weeks now and it wasn't there before.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I was on the Sprint Note 3 thread, and they said their Note 3s got a software update.. any updates for Tmobile Note 3s???

The sprint update was to correct issues with voice calls on the sprint network, no need for us. I suspect there will be an update, but since there are not issues that are affecting usability for large groups of uses, it will be a while.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The sprint update was to correct issues with voice calls on the sprint network, no need for us. I suspect there will be an update, but since there are not issues that are affecting usability for large groups of uses, it will be a while.

This.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

On the contrary, with my Note 3, and Tmobile, I do have a garbled voice when using WiFi calling. I disable WiFi, and I am clear as a whistle.. Others have experienced the same thing. At one point, I was ready to return my phone for a another one, but other advised that this is a 4.3 problem, not the phone, and should be fixed with an update.. Since, I have unlimited voice and data, no problem. I cut off the wifi, for calling, and if I need to surf on tjhe web, I switch Wifi back on.

Again, they say this shoiuld be fixed with 4.4 and/or and update..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
On the contrary, with my Note 3, and Tmobile, I do have a garbled voice when using WiFi calling. I disable WiFi, and I am clear as a whistle.. Others have experienced the same thing. At one point, I was ready to return my phone for a another one, but other advised that this is a 4.3 problem, not the phone, and should be fixed with an update.. Since, I have unlimited voice and data, no problem. I cut off the wifi, for calling, and if I need to surf on tjhe web, I switch Wifi back on.

Again, they say this shoiuld be fixed with 4.4 and/or and update..

See I beg to differ with those people. If it was 4.3 I'd have that issue... And I don't. I use WiFi calling at my house since I have to.. My house likes to kill cell signal for some reason.

Denise Dowell

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I also have the garbled incoming wifi calls, evidently I sound like a screaming cat. When I turn wifi calling off everything is OK. I was also told my T-Mobile (after my 2nd Note 3) that Samsung has bumped the problem up to their highest techs and an update should be coming out soon. I am on 4.3 and need wifi calling inside my home.

Last edited:

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
See I beg to differ with those people. If it was 4.3 I'd have that issue... And I don't. I use WiFi calling at my house since I have to.. My house likes to kill cell signal for some reason.

+1

I wonder if it's a specific router issue. Just throwing the thought out there. As this ones seems a mixed bag, works great for some and does not work at all for others. I have QOS on with my router and a custom QOS setting.

catcat36

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Same here. My son was laughing his **** off. Then my husband They thought I was messing with them. My S4 doesn't do it though, just my NOTE 3. So must be 4.3.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Same here. My son was laughing his **** off. Then my husband They thought I was messing with them. My S4 doesn't do it though, just my NOTE 3. So must be 4.3.

Posted via Android Central App

Again beg to differ since it's only affecting some and not all.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Again beg to differ since it's only affecting some and not all.

I wonder how much available bandwidth people have when the issues are occurring? Not saying this is the issue, but since most people dont watch what is happening on their ISP link, and most dont even have routers capable of QOS, much less us it. Again, not saying this is the issue, just feels like a smoking gun. If it were 4.3, or specific wifi calling code on the Note 3, I would expect 100% of the calls to be bad, and that may be happening for some, but that's not what most are reporting.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Now that pictures are working on the forums again (YAY!) I can show you below that I have wifi calling at the house... See? :). Cuts off the cell tower since it's using the wifi.

Attachments

• 1383079355147.jpg
    1383079355147.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 38

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
A late update, but my WiFi is Fixed!!! It must have been and update, but my Wifi calling is clear as a whistle..

Happy Camper here! :D

What fix? I haven't had any issues since I got the phone. Also I've received no updates since I'm rooted.

donc36

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I also have the garbled incoming wifi calls, evidently I sound like a screaming cat. When I turn wifi calling off everything is OK. I was also told my T-Mobile (after my 2nd Note 3) that Samsung has bumped the problem up to their highest techs and an update should be coming out soon. I am on 4.3 and need wifi calling inside my home.

I have the same problem on my note 3, only for incoming calls (which might be why others haven't reported it). If I call out with WIFI calling, it works perfectly. Someone calls me, they can't hear me at all because of the distortion (my son said I sounded like an Alien)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty