Note 3 camera has a lag because of "processing"?

sacky73

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I had that issue before but I turned off smart stabilization and it cleared up. What I do have is the phone vibrates for close to ten seconds every time i start up the camera almost as if it is trying to focus the lens. It is highly annoying.

Joan Resoco

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Everytime I take a picture, it will process for a good second before going back to viewfinder, it is very annoying and I can not take quick multiple shot because of it, it is too slow. Does anyone have the same problem? Is this normal from a high end phone? Another issue I have is shutter speed appear to be slow causing picture to be blurry? Overall, my note 3 camera feels like an old school digital camera, please let me know if my phone is defective or all note 3 are like that, thanks

I didn't cLear the RAM...and didn't turn off the smart stabiLization..aLL i did was reset the camera settings and it's fine now.

Theodore Hovig

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Sorry ... you are incorrect. While turning off the smart stabilization "fixed" the issue, it was not the root cause. I turned the smart stabilization back on, and the issue returned, but, upon clearing the RAM cache, the issue was gone. This is a classic problem in technology circles, wherein an issue can seemingly be resolved via one solution, when, in fact, the root cause was not addressed. Actually, if you contemplated more deeply, then you would have to ask, which is more likely: (1) Samsung delivered a device with a defect that makes it problematic to use a key feature, or (2) it is an operational issue that could have benefited from better documentation. In this case it was definitely the latter.

pingmkv

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon Note 3 and just upgraded to KitKat 4.4.2. That was the worst mistake ever. My Note 3 was so fast and the camera was awesome. Now it has lag. I never had that kind of lag even with 4.3 and Smart Stabilization on. Something is wrong with this version. I should have left it at 4.3, it worked 200% better than now.:'(

I tested on my bro's galaxy note 3 and I can agree that smart stabilization on did caused some lag, and also some camera blurriness (even in good lighting conditions). I really don't think RAM is the issue in this device as there is always 25% -35% free RAM available. Maybe the intention of smart stabilization is to help users get cleaner low light or night shots but there is an unexpected side-effect of some lag and blurriness sometimes.....

Also agreed that functionality of Android 4.4 is a huge setback over Android 4.3. Access by 3rd party apps to external SD card is locked. And any edit have to be done by built-in apps or if by 3rd party apps have to cut and paste from internal storage to external....This is a very big misstep by Google....

erjohnson227

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Just a note, I think that the "Smart Stabilization" feature does a little more than just some fancy image blending and noise reduction.

I have noticed (and maybe its just me) that the progress bar will progress at a non-constant rate, seemingly progressing faster during the lulls in between the random motion of the device. I think it pulls up the Accelerometers/Gyros and actually chooses when to pull the several images in order to ensure that the (lets say 3 or 4) images that it decides to pick are blur free, and captured during a period of relative stability and stillness from the devices perspective.

As far as what n8ter#AC said (whom is apparently banned and wont see this anyways), then the device combines together these handful of "shake-free" images in order to both smooth over the noise and increase sharpness. Pretty smart software feature on Sammy's part.

Just my $.02 from what I've observed on this device.

Regards,
-Evan J.

erjohnson227

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm sending all my pics to the SD card.

Wonder if it is taking longer to write to the card that is part of the problem?

John

Yeah, it definately makes a big difference. As mentioned by some of the others, the SD card's speed rating or class makes a huge difference as well.

To give you some idea, I have the Note 3 (SM-900A) which has a Micro USB 3.0 connector. When transferring a large file across from my computer, i can write up to 25-30MB/s to the internal storage, whereas to my Micro SD Card (which is a PNY Class 4 32GB SDHC card) I get an initial burst of ~10MB/s, but immediately after it drops to somewhere around 1.5-2MB/s.

Long story short,

Even with a nice Class 10 SD card, you're still going to be hard pressed to beat the internal storage in terms of sustained write (and read) speed. You also have to keep in mind that there are additional hardware bottlenecks and overhead when writing to external storage (i.e. the SD card controller) which will make it substantially slower.

Regards,

- Evan J.

cirrob

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My issue is that after the 4.4.2 update the burst, best photo, and best face camera options are virtually useless. There is anywhere from 3-6 seconds lag between hitting the camera button and the burst of photos. On 4.3, this worked flawlessly.

Before anyone suggests the defacto "reset the phone" method, I have done that, several times. It doesnt affect the lag. Its not phone specific either. My wifes note 3 suffers the same lag. I have to assume that every 4.4.2 version does.

That whole update has been the worst thing to happen to any phone I have ever owned. It rendered the SD card pointless other than a picture and music storage location, and ruined many camera functions.

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I found out a surprisingly wrong behavior of the note 3 camera. It always uses very slow shutter speed in spite of the fact it is using a higher ISO and this behavior is not much improved even while using flash. The camera should auto select a higher shutter speed at higher ISO. Because of this slow shutter speed (most of the time 1/15 sec or below) there is always a blur in indoor shots. I observed that even in a good lighting it uses a slow shutter speed thus requiring a very steady hand.
Workaround:
Go to camera settings and select manual ISO of 400 or 800 and the camera will than pick a higher shutter speed and the blur is gone. The ISO 800 is almost useless due to high grains.
Samsung should provide a fix for this in new update. There should also be a function to restrict the shutter speed to 1/60 sec while using flash so at least the flash pics will be without blur. Also functions like shutter priority and simple portrait mode should be added.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Here are a couple of other "fixes" for you. First go to settings and turn off smart stabilization, this will be more than sufficient for most pictures. Secondly, turn on tap to take pics (click anywhere on screen to focus and shoot) in settings and try it to see you have better results than using the "shutter" key. Thirdly, if you have a low light/indoor pic, change mode to HDR. It snaps much faster and processing is substantially faster!

Let me know if you guys have better luck with your photos!

P.S. Although, missing many pics and snapping a number of bad ones is driving me to look at the iPhone 6+! The camera functioned much better when I had my S3. Why Samsung had to go and change things when the S4 and newer phones came out is beyond me. Everything was much better when they kept it simple!!

Last edited:

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Here are a couple of other "fixes" for you. First go to settings and turn off smart stabilization, this will be more than sufficient for most pictures. Secondly, turn on tap to take pics (click anywhere on screen to focus and shoot) in settings and try it to see you have better results than using the "shutter" key. Thirdly, if you have a low light/indoor pic, change mode to HDR. It snaps much faster and processing is substantially faster!

Let me know if you guys have better luck with your photos!

P.S. Although, missing many pics and snapping a number of bad ones is driving me to look at the iPhone 6+! The camera functioned much better when I had my S3. Why Samsung had to go and change things when the S4 and newer phones came out is beyond me. Everything was much better when they kept it simple!!

I know this is an old thread, but thanks so much for the tip re: "tap to take pics." It made a huge difference for me - not sure why it's necessary, but who cares, my pics look great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol