1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3 camera has a lag because of "processing"?

Hi all,

Everytime I take a picture, it will process for a good second before going back to viewfinder, it is very annoying and I can not take quick multiple shot because of it, it is too slow. Does anyone have the same problem? Is this normal from a high end phone? Another issue I have is shutter speed appear to be slow causing picture to be blurry? Overall, my note 3 camera feels like an old school digital camera, please let me know if my phone is defective or all note 3 are like that, thanks

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Default Re: Note 3 camera has a lag because of "processing"?

It does take a couple seconds to process. If you drop the settings to 8mp it processed faster. If you need to take multiple pics fast use burst mode. Takes great pics huh? !

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alexnote3 View Post
    Hi all,

Everytime I take a picture, it will process for a good second before going back to viewfinder, it is very annoying and I can not take quick multiple shot because of it, it is too slow. Does anyone have the same problem? Is this normal from a high end phone? Another issue I have is shutter speed appear to be slow causing picture to be blurry? Overall, my note 3 camera feels like an old school digital camera, please let me know if my phone is defective or all note 3 are like that, thanks
    Remove the smart stabilization. It's on by default.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Yeah. Took me awhile to find out that it was smart stabilizer causing it but now I don't get that issue

Sent from my gameboy color

Yes, this took off thanks.

I had the same problem and figured it out. Has nothing to do with stabilizers or size of the picture (Megapixels). It's because your RAM cache is full.

1. Hold the home button down for a few seconds until your multitasking mode starts
    2. Press on the bottom left icon that looks like a weirdly sliced pie (task manager)
    3. Press on the RAM section near the top
    4. Press the Clear Memory bar at the bottom

This should free up quite a bit of memory on your device and allow you to take pictures at will.
    Even if it doesn't slow down your picture taking abilities, this is good practice that enables your device to perform at optimal capacity.

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Moni Assi View Post
    I had the same problem and figured it out. Has nothing to do with stabilizers or size of the picture (Megapixels). It's because your RAM cache is full.

1. Hold the home button down for a few seconds until your multitasking mode starts
    2. Press on the bottom left icon that looks like a weirdly sliced pie (task manager)
    3. Press on the RAM section near the top
    4. Press the Clear Memory bar at the bottom

This should free up quite a bit of memory on your device and allow you to take pictures at will.
    Even if it doesn't slow down your picture taking abilities, this is good practice that enables your device to perform at optimal capacity.
    It's smart stabilization. Not dome ram cache.

Smart stabilization takes multiple images to combine them and keep noise in check.

It's similar to how many phones have to process hdr images. It doesn't help much except on some low light shots, and is enabled by default. Turn it off is my recommendation. Outside of night dhots it isn't worth it. Any movement or camera shack blurs the entire image.

You should not be clearing ram often on this phone. It has 3 gigs and shouldn't have ram issues...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Also turn off "low light" mode as well

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by HothTron View Post
    Also turn off "low light" mode as well
    Smart Stabilization is Low Light Mode.

They renamed it in the Galaxy Note 3 to Smart Stabilization.

It does the same thing on both phones :-)

I don't agree with stabilization being the problem. I had it set on before KitKat and never had this slowness with the camera. It is to the point it is totally useless. I click the button and "Processing" doesn't show up for 2-3 seconds (I have rebooted numerous times so no it isn't full memory - run various cache-cleaners/speed-uppers). By the time the processing message shows up, if I had moved my hand even the slightest, the picture is garbage. I have never taken this many bad/garbage pictures before KK. Yes, I checked and originally I was saving all pictures to the SD card. I did not see the error messages other folks are referring to but changed it to save to DEVICE anyway. Didn't make a difference on the picture taking speed.

I am on the verge of factory-reset and going back to 4.3. I had way better battery life before KK and so far I haven't seen anything in KK that is a "must have" or fixes anything that effects me. Since it took AT&T 4-6 months to get to 4.4.2, 4.4.3 (reportedly fixes the battery issue) won't arrive until the end of this year. By then 4.5 or whatever is next will be out.

Turning off smart stabilization fixed mine, and I had changed every other setting in there possible. Fastest fix I've found
    Thanked by:
    jacker 

I don't agree with stabilization being the problem. I had it set on before KitKat and never had this slowness with the camera. It is to the point it is totally useless. I click the button and "Processing" doesn't show up for 2-3 seconds (I have rebooted numerous times so no it isn't full memory - run various cache-cleaners/speed-uppers). By the time the processing message shows up, if I had moved my hand even the slightest, the picture is garbage. I have never taken this many bad/garbage pictures before KK. Yes, I checked and originally I was saving all pictures to the SD card. I did not see the error messages other folks are referring to but changed it to save to DEVICE anyway. Didn't make a difference on the picture taking speed.

I am on the verge of factory-reset and going back to 4.3. I had way better battery life before KK and so far I haven't seen anything in KK that is a "must have" or fixes anything that effects me. Since it took AT&T 4-6 months to get to 4.4.2, 4.4.3 (reportedly fixes the battery issue) won't arrive until the end of this year. By then 4.5 or whatever is next will be out.

I agree here, Smart Stabilization did nothing to mine.

After Kitkat I take a picture, then 1-2 seconds after i get the popup "Processing" then it saves my image. 8 out of 10 times the image it takes is of something while I moved my camera . I missed a lot of pictures with this pain in the ***.

My fix was to remember to switch from Auto mode to Sports.

Is there anyway to set it's default modes?

I'm sending all my pics to the SD card.

Wonder if it is taking longer to write to the card that is part of the problem?

John