I just saw I has a notification from T-Mobile my account

jackjack1969

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
It had run a device health test in it's own and now confirms my device is rooted. I did not run this test whatsoever. Does this mean my warranty is now permanently void? I have held off on using a custom recovery because of losing warranty. If this is the case I will start flashing away and make lemonade out of lemons. Any one have any input on this?

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It had run a device health test in it's own and now confirms my device is rooted. I did not run this test whatsoever. Does this mean my warranty is now permanently void? I have held off on using a custom recovery because of losing warranty. If this is the case I will start flashing away and make lemonade out of lemons. Any one have any input on this?

Have you rooted?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Can you be more specific? Are you saying that T-Mo ran a root check on your phone?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Can you be more specific? Are you saying that T-Mo ran a root check on your phone?

He means the T-Mobile my account app. I've turned it off (the diagnostics part of the app) since the last update but it did run one or two diagnostic tests on mine (see below for previous reports). It's just a tool to help tech support.

Jack as to your original question your warranty is already voided due to root. You used to be able to wipe the root counter so manufacturers didn't know but with the Note 3 Samsung has found a tricky way to hide the root count in the memory and to keep it hard to reach. From my last check the fine people at XDA haven't found a way to reset this counter therefor Samsung will know you rooted and voided your warranty.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1388119134211.jpg
    1388119134211.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 1388119147962.jpg
    1388119147962.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 56

jackjack1969

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm rooted but I don't have a custom recovery because from what I read once you install one there is no hiding the fact the phone was rooted and no way of restoring it to stock completely.
But I'm not going to cry over it. I'll just go ahead and install a custom recovery and try out a few new roms. I do think it's s little shady on T-Mobile's part to run a diagnostic test without my consent on my phone.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm rooted but I don't have a custom recovery because from what I read once you install one there is no hiding the fact the phone was rooted and no way of restoring it to stock completely.
But I'm not going to cry over it. I'll just go ahead and install a custom recovery and try out a few new roms. I do think it's s little shady on T-Mobile's part to run a diagnostic test without my consent on my phone.

Go for it. As far as TMo is concerned, your warranty is void anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible that it can say that you rooted your phone when in fact you didn't?

Maybe. There was an exploit for the S2 a while back. I was just more slightly venting that its db to have something like this.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app