Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin O'Quinn
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I just saw I has a notification from T-Mobile my account

It had run a device health test in it's own and now confirms my device is rooted. I did not run this test whatsoever. Does this mean my warranty is now permanently void? I have held off on using a custom recovery because of losing warranty. If this is the case I will start flashing away and make lemonade out of lemons. Any one have any input on this?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    13,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: I just saw I has a notification from T-Mobile my account

Quote Originally Posted by jackjack1969 View Post
    It had run a device health test in it's own and now confirms my device is rooted. I did not run this test whatsoever. Does this mean my warranty is now permanently void? I have held off on using a custom recovery because of losing warranty. If this is the case I will start flashing away and make lemonade out of lemons. Any one have any input on this?

Have you rooted?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,906 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Can you be more specific? Are you saying that T-Mo ran a root check on your phone?
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Can you be more specific? Are you saying that T-Mo ran a root check on your phone?
    He means the T-Mobile my account app. I've turned it off (the diagnostics part of the app) since the last update but it did run one or two diagnostic tests on mine (see below for previous reports). It's just a tool to help tech support.

Jack as to your original question your warranty is already voided due to root. You used to be able to wipe the root counter so manufacturers didn't know but with the Note 3 Samsung has found a tricky way to hide the root count in the memory and to keep it hard to reach. From my last check the fine people at XDA haven't found a way to reset this counter therefor Samsung will know you rooted and voided your warranty.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I just saw I has a notification from T-Mobile my account-1388119134211.jpg   I just saw I has a notification from T-Mobile my account-1388119147962.jpg  
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah I'm rooted but I don't have a custom recovery because from what I read once you install one there is no hiding the fact the phone was rooted and no way of restoring it to stock completely.
    But I'm not going to cry over it. I'll just go ahead and install a custom recovery and try out a few new roms. I do think it's s little shady on T-Mobile's part to run a diagnostic test without my consent on my phone.

Global Posts
    13,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Yeah I'm rooted but I don't have a custom recovery because from what I read once you install one there is no hiding the fact the phone was rooted and no way of restoring it to stock completely.
    But I'm not going to cry over it. I'll just go ahead and install a custom recovery and try out a few new roms. I do think it's s little shady on T-Mobile's part to run a diagnostic test without my consent on my phone.

Go for it. As far as TMo is concerned, your warranty is void anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Go for it. As far as TMo is concerned, your warranty is void anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Is it possible that it can say that you rooted your phone when in fact you didn't?

Global Posts
    13,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by stackberry369 View Post
    Is it possible that it can say that you rooted your phone when in fact you didn't?

Maybe. There was an exploit for the S2 a while back. I was just more slightly venting that its db to have something like this.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app