How to block all calls except those in Contact list?

Double44

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm trying to block all calls except those in my Contact list. Is there any way this can be done inside Android, or is this something only an app can do? If possible, I'd like to avoid such apps.

edit: Recently I've been getting unwanted calls about once-a-day, and the phone number is always different.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
check your phone settings for parental controls. Not sure if the GN3 has them but phones that do can be set to only accept calls from contacts, but I believe it restricts calls to contacts as well. However you may be able to enter a code to by-pass such a block if you needed to call out side of your list. It will likely be in security settings if the GN3 has this option. If not check with T-Mobile and see if they offer a similar service. Verizon does, but I think it costs.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Try:

Settings>Device>Blocking Mode.
Set time to always
Set Allowed contacts to All Contacts.

I believe that should only allow those in your contacts to call or message you. I haven't tried it but see if it works.

Double44

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Try:

Settings>Device>Blocking Mode.
Set time to always
Set Allowed contacts to All Contacts.

I believe that should only allow those in your contacts to call or message you. I haven't tried it but see if it works.
I just set this up, looks promising! This makes me wonder, why isn't this grouped under 'Call' options? Is it because it is also able to block notifications, alarms, and the LED indicator?

This is going a little beyond the main question I asked, but is there a way to possibly block MMS too?

By the way, awesome avatar Deke218.

Last edited:

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks... Try this:

SMS>Settings>More>Spam Message Settings>Click Spam Settings and Click Block Unknown Senders.

Or select Add to spam numbers and enter a list of numbers to block

Or select to spam phrases and enter a phrase that may show up in a unwanted messages.

Double44

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks... Try this:

SMS>Settings>More>Spam Message Settings>Click Spam Settings and Click Block Unknown Senders.

Or select Add to spam numbers and enter a list of numbers to block

Or select to spam phrases and enter a phrase that may show up in a unwanted messages.
Thanks, will look into that.

It is hard for me to block calls individually, I get calls on a daily basis from a different number. I enabled Blocking Mode and only disabled incoming calls, but this also seems to block text message notifications along with the LED I've set for it.

Murphy Day

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I realize that this a very old forum but I use aFirewall call and sms blocker and it's amazing! I've never had a problem with it only letting through my contacts and blocking everyone else. Let me know if you try it out!

CapnS

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Murphy Day, I wish I could hug you! Someone was spoofing with my number I guess, and I got about 400 calls in 45 minutes from people who said I had called them. Cell carrier was absolutely no help, they even suggested that I change my number that I've had for years and years! Installed the app and limited incoming calls and SMS to my contacts, and now everything is fine. Huge relief!

Holly King

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm trying to block all calls except those in my Contact list. Is there any way this can be done inside Android, or is this something only an app can do? If possible, I'd like to avoid such apps.

edit: Recently I've been getting unwanted calls about once-a-day, and the phone number is always different.

Holly King

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I dont know if this works but if you tap on the phone icon then hit more in upper right corner and find your block list and in there youll find a switch that says block anonymous calls turn that on

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2