T-Mobile Note 3: DISABLE Wifi Calling permanently

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a rooted Note 3 (MI7) and am trying to permanently disable wifi calling. I have gone to Settings >> Connections >> more networks >> wifi calling and turned this off. BUT, wifi calling still persists and my mobile network is disabled when connected to wifi. I have had several problems with wifi calling (Screechy noise for caller, no ring for caller etc)

Is there anyway to disable this? Is this included in a update? I am worried also about loosing root or tripping knox if I update.

Thank you!
Aidan

Last edited by a moderator:

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: TMobile Note 3 DISABLE Wifi Calling permanently

You can go to tmobile and ask them for a sim card that doesn't allow wifi calling.

Note 3 ~ 5s

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Go to your settings and ensure it's staying off.. Then click on wifi calling... Go to connection preferences and ensure it is off here.. Once you do that ensure the "Cellular Network Preferred" mode. (screenshots below)

It should work.. Let us know! :)

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1391639391965.jpg
    1391639391965.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 1391639404006.jpg
    1391639404006.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 1391639412253.jpg
    1391639412253.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 103
Feb 4, 2014
Visit site

@Almeuit Yes I have confirmed I have that setting off still chooses to call over Wifi, Have also attempted enabling wifi calling with cellular network preferred with the same result. Thanks for the screenshots though!
@tippmann15 I have seen some posts about people getting SIM cards with wifi calling disabled but still found it to not work. Could you confirm it does actually work?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

So it just still activates anyway?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Go to settings, general, application manager and scroll to wifi settings (under all) and do clear data on the wifi calling settings and wfcservice.

See if that helps.

Attachments

• 1391656737535.jpg
    1391656737535.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 1391656745943.jpg
    1391656745943.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 81
Feb 4, 2014
Visit site

@Almeuit great suggestion still no dice. Still turns off cellular network and runs through "HD voice" same problems persist. It seems like you are also using Wifi calling, have you ever been able to disable it as well?
phone.png

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

@Almeuit great suggestion still no dice. Still turns off cellular network and runs through "HD voice" same problems persist. It seems like you are also using Wifi calling, have you ever been able to disable it as well?
View attachment 103653

Hm very weird. I do use it but if I toggle it to off it will not use wifi calling and will use cellular instead. Not sure why yours won't disable.

SkinsFan1987

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile Note 3 DISABLE Wifi Calling permanently

Have you tried to turn it off in the app info settings? It looks like that would alleviate the issue, because it would disable the service altogether.

nmcbryant

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

Hi all. I'm having the exact same problem. It just started happening yesterday and my only fix has been to turn off Wi-Fi altogether before making calls. :mad:

donc36

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Same issue here. Turning off WIFI is the only workaround I've found. The reason I need to turn it off is because when someone calls me, if it's on WIFI calling, they can't hear me - it sounds like an alien. Seen that issue reported elsewhere, but only for the Note 3. Hopefully a update will resolve that, other than that, the phone and the service are great.

Don

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Very weird. I use WiFi calling and it works great for me. I need it at the house so that's why I use it.

donc36

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Same issue here. Turning off WIFI is the only workaround I've found. The reason I need to turn it off is because when someone calls me, if it's on WIFI calling, they can't hear me - it sounds like an alien. Seen that issue reported elsewhere, but only for the Note 3. Hopefully a update will resolve that, other than that, the phone and the service are great.

Don

Turns out the Voice Commands in the Call Settings were doing the distortion when I spoke over WIFI calling. Turning off Voice Control in the device settings > Call > Answering / ending calls solved the distortion issue.

Still can't really turn off WIFI calling on WIFI, like the OP reported, but at least now I don't have to.

Don

SkinsFan1987

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that people can't hear me when they call me and I have Wi-Fi Calling on, but I have no problems when I call them. It's weird, but I'll live.

Sent from the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk.

tungkims

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I found a way to turn on the signal bars while wifi on after change all settings again and again:
- Go to settings/general/application manager, clear cahe, clear data, and then turn off and force stop "wifi calling settings" and "wfcservice"
- Delete wfcservice
- Go to settings/device/call, click on wifi calling, it would be not responding for seconds and a popup says "Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped", and then service signal goes out for a second and comes back.

I try to turn wifi off and on, no signal, but if I do 2 steps above, signal bars come back.

Have anyone figured something out yet?

Last edited:

Rusty_S

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I was playing around with Wi-Fi calling and experienced this error over the last few days. It was driving me crazy.

Network: T-Mobile
Device: Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900T)

I managed to resolve it by going to the 'Wi-Fi Calling Preferences' page.
- Turn on Wi-Fi Calling using the green slider in the top right of the screen
- Disabled Wi-Fi from the pull down notifications bar
- Cycle through all three options a few times (Wi-Fi Preferred, Cellular network preferred, Never use Cellular Network), waiting a 10-15 seconds in between each.
- Turn on Wi-Fi using the pull down notifications bar, and cycle through each option again a few times until BOTH Wi-Fi and network have bars.

NOTE: The only option that both were enabled for me at the same time was the 'Cellular Network Preferred' option. This might be different for you.

It seems that Wi-Fi Calling got 'stuck' in a certain network config that I was unable to fix by disabling/uninstalling/tweaking. Perhaps your options are stored on their network or something and have to be re-triggered.

Hopefully this work for others. :D

Sam Da Loan

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
The solution that worked for me is to go to settings --> the application manager --> All and turn off the service. This fixed it and if I need to use it, I can just turn it back on.