T-Mobile Note 3: DON'T update if you value your SD card

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't users, who have an SD card, just uninstall and reinstall problem apps? If an app has already been granted SD card (external) permission, it will continue to attempt to store app data to the EXTERNAL SD card. Therefore, you will start to lose the app data everytime you close the app (after the update). So.... Uninstall and reinstall, so that the same apps are granted access to the SD card (this time INTERNAL SD). Think about it, I don't remember finding apps on a Note 3, then move to an HTC One, and find totally different app because of no SD card. Nor will an app change if it downloads to a phone with an SD card in and mounted, vs the same phone with the SD removed or unmounted.

The only thing to wait for, is to have the apps updated and reformatted to 4.4. Only downside is how more space will have to be stored to the internal storage. Make sense to upgrade with higher ROM next time. Do you smell that guys...? Well, Google and the Manufactures do..... Cha-Ching! $$$ :)

Last edited:

Unicorn11B

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
"Messed up = fixed a glaring security hole that allowed any app to write to any folder on an entire partition." As the 2nd poster stated, there is no proof this has ever caused a problem.

Just because it hasn't happened yet didn't mean it wouldn`t. How many people would be crying if Google hadn't been preemptive about this? "Google knew it could happen, but did nothing...woe is me...."

Is like you're complaining about locks on the door just because nobody has stolen from you yet.

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the developers need to update the apps :-(.

Note 3 ~ 5s
Even if the devolpers update the apps, what about your music and pictures, books, etc! You will have to have your music library and images stored in 5 folders dulpicated on your SD to get it to work with all your apps. A music collection for each app in a different folder, BS!

Couldn't users, who have an SD card, just uninstall and reinstall problem apps? If an app has already been granted SD card (external) permission, it will continue to attempt to store app data to the EXTERNAL SD card. Therefore, you will start to lose the app data everytime you close the app (after the update). So.... Uninstall and reinstall, so that the same apps are granted access to the SD card (this time INTERNAL SD). Think about it, I don't remember finding apps on a Note 3, then move to an HTC One, and find totally different app because of no SD card. Nor will an app change if it downloads to a phone with an SD card in and mounted, vs the same phone with the SD removed or unmounted.

The only thing to wait for, is to have the apps updated and reformatted to 4.4. Only downside is how more space will have to be stored to the internal storage. Make sense to upgrade with higher ROM next time. Do you smell that guys...? Well, Google and the Manufactures do..... Cha-Ching! $$$ :)
Same as above!

Just because it hasn't happened yet didn't mean it wouldn`t. How many people would be crying if Google hadn't been preemptive about this? "Google knew it could happen, but did nothing...woe is me...."

Is like you're complaining about locks on the door just because nobody has stolen from you yet.
Your an *****! If this was about security then why don't apps have to only use one folder on the system partition? This ia bout pushing people away from SD cards and slower SD cards. Google devs have said it themselves! Now they all banded behind this security BS to sound more legit!

5th

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Dude; I've used SD cards on every Android device I've owned since the G1 - and that's a lot of phones. Your argument is [stupid] tantamount to "They might not have WMD's today but in a thousand years they might! Let's kill them now!"

If it was going to happen, it would have happened already. NEXT!

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Dude; I've used SD cards on every Android device I've owned since the G1 - and that's a lot of phones. Your argument is [stupid] tantamount to "They might not have WMD's today but in a thousand years they might! Let's kill them now!"

If it was going to happen, it would have happened already. NEXT!
Yeah, and Google already stated they did it to get rid of SD cards and the confusion they cause and then they said it was because of slow SD cards and now they are finally hiding behind security reasons because people are mad and they think no one will question security reasons, lol.

5th

TeddyR42

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: DON'T update if you value your SD card

It's a Google thing... not T-mobile...

Also for the people with root there is a patch out there..

Yes..but rooting may void the warranty.

Even if "it's a Google thing", tmobile and Samsung both have the option not to implement that particular feature in the firmware that they release. At the very least tmobile can apply appropriate pressure to Google to get them to revert the discision or at least add a user selectable option (with an appropriately strongly worded warning) to disable/enable the feature akin to the feature allowing the installation of certs or unknown origin software outside of the play store.

Posted via Android Central App

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

Yes..but rooting may void the warranty.

Even if "it's a Google thing", tmobile and Samsung both have the option not to implement that particular feature in the firmware that they release. At the very least tmobile can apply appropriate pressure to Google to get them to revert the discision or at least add a user selectable option (with an appropriately strongly worded warning) to disable/enable the feature akin to the feature allowing the installation of certs or unknown origin software outside of the play store.

Basically what the programmer of the apps need to do is set a standard directory on the SD the app can write too now the apps just can't randomly write wherever they want anymore that's all it is..

TeddyR42

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

Basically what the programmer of the apps need to do is set a standard directory on the SD the app can write too now the apps just can't randomly write wherever they want anymore that's all it is..

The issue is that this will not work for situations where apps should be sharing the data like for common music or photos. With kitkat as it is now, The app folder will also be removed when the app is uninstalled possibly leading to MUCH more frustration and data loss situations than the previous behavior....

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site

KitKat has been out for six months and none of my apps have been updated to support this. Number two this wasn't an issues to begin with. Google had said a while back they didn't like the way SD cards made their operating system confusing... then they moved on to saying SD cards will slow down the OS (lower than class 10) and they needed to be removed, and finally when that didn't work they are now claiming security reasons! BS! You can find everything I have said above in online postings and news stories. They figure security reasons gives them cover for a problem NO ONE had! Apps want to steal your info, and they can still do that as they can read everything! No one has ever had a problem with an app deleting crap!? And what about file managers?! And what if you use more than one media player or music player? You have to have all of your books, movies and music in multiple directories so each app can access it?! BS! And per your signature I'm questioning you because you fell for Google's hype! They also don't want phones using removable batteries anymore, no microSD cards and no captive buttons. Well, let me see do you see any phones anymore with microSD card slots, removable batteries or capacitive buttons besides Samsung? NO! Google is becoming Apple, in a nut shell!

And why couldn't a fix be made by enabling SD writing akin to the way sideloading is done? Why not enable certain directories on the phone to be write enabled? Like you could pick media folders, etc so no issues? Why???? Because Google wants manufacturers to stop making phones with SD card slots! 6 months and maybe 1 out of 200 apps has been updated to KitKat SD standards!

5th

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

KitKat has been out for six months and none of my apps have been updated to support this. Number two this wasn't an issues to begin with. Google had said a while back they didn't like the way SD cards made their operating system confusing... then they moved on to saying SD cards will slow down the OS (lower than class 10) and they needed to be removed, and finally when that didn't work they are now claiming security reasons! BS! You can find everything I have said above in online postings and news stories. They figure security reasons gives them cover for a problem NO ONE had! Apps want to steal your info, and they can still do that as they can read everything! No one has ever had a problem with an app deleting crap!? And what about file managers?! And what if you use more than one media player or music player? You have to have all of your books, movies and music in multiple directories so each app can access it?! BS! And per your signature I'm questioning you because you fell for Google's hype! They also don't want phones using removable batteries anymore, no microSD cards and no captive buttons. Well, let me see do you see any phones anymore with microSD card slots, removable batteries or capacitive buttons besides Samsung? NO! Google is becoming Apple, in a nut shell!

And why couldn't a fix be made by enabling SD writing akin to the way sideloading is done? Why not enable certain directories on the phone to be write enabled? Like you could pick media folders, etc so no issues? Why???? Because Google wants manufacturers to stop making phones with SD card slots! 6 months and maybe 1 out of 200 apps has been updated to KitKat SD standards!

5th

A big reason could be is that KitKat isn't that widely adopted yet. Root the damn phone... there's a fix for it on XDA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay