Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unlocked International Note 3 (3G, not LTE): Will it work?

For some reason I thought of the 'Will it blend?' series of videos when writing the title... But I digress.

So, I'm traveling to San Diego this weekend to do some apartment hunting (and plan to eventually move in next month). More specifically, the Carlsbad/Oceanside/Vista/SanMarcos/Encinitas area. So, my conundrum is that, no matter how many hours I spent with "Customer Service" over the phone (might have been only 20 minutes, but it seemed like hours to me), I couldn't get them to understand that what I needed to know is which frequencies they use for their HSPA+ network and if my phone would work.

I know it won't get LTE,and I'm really trying to avoid having to buy another phone if I move there (I travel a lot, so T-Mo's plans with global data roaming are a no brainer), so does any of you guys know if my phone could get decent speeds while in California?

Here are the specs for my phone:
    GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850 / 900 / 1.800 / 1.900 MHz) support
    HSPA+ (850 / 900 / 1.900 / 2.100 MHz) support

Thanks!

Default Re: Unlocked International Note 3 (3G, not LTE): Will it work?

San Diego is a refarmed area so you should get h+ on 1900mhz. With that said you seem to be going beyond San Diego proper,so it is unknown how far they extended it.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    [URL="http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/500-community-rules-guidelines.html#post3388"]Community Guidelines[/URL] - - [URL="http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/766-app-developer-forum-rules-guidelines.html#post4991"]App & Developer Guidelines[/URL] --[URL="http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/410-marketplace-rules-guidelines.html#post2963"]Marketplace Guidelines[/URL] - - [URL="http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/368068-verizon-faq.html"]Verizon FAQ[/URL] - -[URL="http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3571703"]Verizon Iconic Portal [/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SpookDroid likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The term 're-framed' helped a lot Carlsbad is EXPLICITLY stated in a T-Mo document about this. I'll still try to convince a rep to let me try a SIM card before I buy.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    For some reason I thought of the 'Will it blend?' series of videos when writing the title... But I digress.

So, I'm traveling to San Diego this weekend to do some apartment hunting (and plan to eventually move in next month). More specifically, the Carlsbad/Oceanside/Vista/SanMarcos/Encinitas area. So, my conundrum is that, no matter how many hours I spent with "Customer Service" over the phone (might have been only 20 minutes, but it seemed like hours to me), I couldn't get them to understand that what I needed to know is which frequencies they use for their HSPA+ network and if my phone would work.

I know it won't get LTE,and I'm really trying to avoid having to buy another phone if I move there (I travel a lot, so T-Mo's plans with global data roaming are a no brainer), so does any of you guys know if my phone could get decent speeds while in California?

Here are the specs for my phone:
    GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850 / 900 / 1.800 / 1.900 MHz) support
    HSPA+ (850 / 900 / 1.900 / 2.100 MHz) support

Thanks!
    I'm not a tmo user (Verizon) but I saw you're moving to my area and wanted to say welcome! My husband and I live in Oceanside but I've also lived in OC, vista, carlsbad, san marcos and Escondido. :-)

Move here from Scotland 6 yrs ago and fell in love with it haha

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks! I just looked at some apartments and so far it looks like I'll be moving to the edges of Vista or Oceanside. Vista place has a fireplace and AC but only 1 bedroom. Oceanside one has 2 bedrooms and a bit more patio, but no AC and no fireplace (and a bit further from work). Can't decide! Haha.

Oh! And by the way, I stopped by a T-Mobile store and the guy there was SUPER helpful and let me try his own SIM card. Voilá! HSPA+ works! He even gave me all the details I needed to get a new 'contract' without having prior US credit.

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Thanks! I just looked at some apartments and so far it looks like I'll be moving to the edges of Vista or Oceanside. Vista place has a fireplace and AC but only 1 bedroom. Oceanside one has 2 bedrooms and a bit more patio, but no AC and no fireplace (and a bit further from work). Can't decide! Haha.

Oh! And by the way, I stopped by a T-Mobile store and the guy there was SUPER helpful and let me try his own SIM card. Voilá! HSPA+ works! He even gave me all the details I needed to get a new 'contract' without having prior US credit.
    Not sure how familiar you are with all the areas. If you'd like some help on good areas and areas to avoid feel free to send me a wee email sarkycow@gmail.com ...hopefully that email address will show! Ha

I've moved around a lot in the 6 years I've lived here! Haha so I know my way around.

Anyways ...welcome again! Glad you got your tmo issue sorted :-)

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App
    SpookDroid likes this.