Use Photos app from camera, NOT GALLERY

ripper2020

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up a note 3 and love it, accept for whatever reason the gallery apps runs terrible on it. It locks up, crashes, runs slow, and caused issues because it tries to sync picasa web albums (I use google plus photos, seems like it was starting to cause duplicates). Anyways, I like samsung camera app but anytime you click the photo icon to view what you just took a picture of, it uses the gallery app. I can't find any way of changing this. Is there any way? Currently, I'm using the google camera app which works well with photos app, but I'd prefer to use the samsung app if possible. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Just picked up a note 3 and love it, accept for whatever reason the gallery apps runs terrible on it. It locks up, crashes, runs slow, and caused issues because it tries to sync picasa web albums (I use google plus photos, seems like it was starting to cause duplicates). Anyways, I like samsung camera app but anytime you click the photo icon to view what you just took a picture of, it uses the gallery app. I can't find any way of changing this. Is there any way? Currently, I'm using the google camera app which works well with photos app, but I'd prefer to use the samsung app if possible. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Try the free app QuickPic instead of Gallery.

ripper2020

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
As an aside, and sorry if I shouldn't post this question under same topic, why does the "sync picasa web albums" even show up under my google account sync settings? I only ask because I'm coming from a moto x, which also had the gallery app but doesn't have the picasa option in the sync settings.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you just turn off the Picasa sync if you don't use it. I have it disabled and have no problems at all with the stock gallery app.

ripper2020

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Why don't you just turn off the Picasa sync if you don't use it. I have it disabled and have no problems at all with the stock gallery app.

I'll give it a try now that I've disabled the sync. I actually prefer the photos app and was just wondering if it was possible to have the camera app use it. My moto x let me do this. Thanks for the suggestion.

ripper2020

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I actually just tried gallery again and its still running like crap. I have about 11 photos in the camera folder and scrolling through the pictures is extremely laggy. I may have uninstalled an update for it when I was stopping apps... Any idea on how I might refresh or reinstall the app?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
What firmware are you running. It gets updated with the FW updates. Mine was last updated with the NF4 update. If you are already on NF4 or you don't want to upgrade to the latest FW, then what I would try is Force Close, Clear cache, Clear data. Then Turn Off the app in application manager. Then reboot and clear partition cache from Recovery. Then boot back up and turn the Gallery app back on.

ripper2020

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
What firmware are you running. It gets updated with the FW updates. Mine was last updated with the NF4 update. If you are already on NF4 or you don't want to upgrade to the latest FW, then what I would try is Force Close, Clear cache, Clear data. Then Turn Off the app in application manager. Then reboot and clear partition cache from Recovery. Then boot back up and turn the Gallery app back on.

If I go to app info it says nf4 at the end version 4.4.2

It's frustrating because one time I use it it's super slow ( like really really slow ) and if I open it a minute later its fine. I tried to follow your instructions but I can't turn off gallery app...no option to do it. Also, how would I get into recovery? Thanks for trying to help.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
If I go to app info it says nf4 at the end version 4.4.2

It's frustrating because one time I use it it's super slow ( like really really slow ) and if I open it a minute later its fine. I tried to follow your instructions but I can't turn off gallery app...no option to do it. Also, how would I get into recovery? Thanks for trying to help.

You're right about not being able to turn it off. I didn't look to see if it was greyed out - like it is.

To boot into recovery, power down the phone. Then simultaneously press and hold the home button, volume up, and power. You can let go when you see the little blue message up top of the screen saying it's entering Recovery. Once it is in Recovery mode, look at the 4 options you have there and select the one to wipe the partition cache. Pay attention to what you are doing so you don't accidentally choose to wipe the device completely/factory reset. The wipe takes only a couple seconds and then you can reboot when it says it's done.

Btw, when you clear data in app manager, the first time you open gallery after that, it will need to re-populate your photos so just give it a minute to do that and don't worry about it being slow the very first time you open it after a clear data. After a clear data you will also need to go through your settings and make sure everything is set up the way you want again. This only applies to clearing data, not clearing cache, which will not reset any settings.

Besides making sure Picasa sync is not checked, look under "content to display" in the gallery options and make sure picasa is not checked there. Also uncheck anything else you don't need, like facebook, or any other options you have there. Of course if you want to display or sync something I'm not telling you not to do so. But the least it has to sync and the least it has to search for things to display, the faster things will be for you, so uncheck anything you don't want/need.

Also, are you saving your photos taken with the camera app to the SD card? This is just fine if so, and I do so with no problem. But if you continue to have a problem after the above is all done, temporarily change that to the phone storage and remove the SD card and see if you still have a problem. Filesystem problems or file corruption - easy to fix with a re-format of the card - can cause indexing problems that cause high cpu usage or SD card hardware problems can cause issues as well of course.

ripper2020

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
You're right about not being able to turn it off. I didn't look to see if it was greyed out - like it is.

To boot into recovery, power down the phone. Then simultaneously press and hold the home button, volume up, and power. You can let go when you see the little blue message up top of the screen saying it's entering Recovery. Once it is in Recovery mode, look at the 4 options you have there and select the one to wipe the partition cache. Pay attention to what you are doing so you don't accidentally choose to wipe the device completely/factory reset. The wipe takes only a couple seconds and then you can reboot when it says it's done.

Btw, when you clear data in app manager, the first time you open gallery after that, it will need to re-populate your photos so just give it a minute to do that and don't worry about it being slow the very first time you open it after a clear data. After a clear data you will also need to go through your settings and make sure everything is set up the way you want again. This only applies to clearing data, not clearing cache, which will not reset any settings.

Besides making sure Picasa sync is not checked, look under "content to display" in the gallery options and make sure picasa is not checked there. Also uncheck anything else you don't need, like facebook, or any other options you have there. Of course if you want to display or sync something I'm not telling you not to do so. But the least it has to sync and the least it has to search for things to display, the faster things will be for you, so uncheck anything you don't want/need.

Also, are you saving your photos taken with the camera app to the SD card? This is just fine if so, and I do so with no problem. But if you continue to have a problem after the above is all done, temporarily change that to the phone storage and remove the SD card and see if you still have a problem. Filesystem problems or file corruption - easy to fix with a re-format of the card - can cause indexing problems that cause high cpu usage or SD card hardware problems can cause issues as well of course.

Thanks again for all of the info. I tried everything you said, and checked the content to display but it was only set to content in device. Do you also have the gn3 on t-mobile (I'm guessing you do)? I'm just wondering what your memory / ram usage typically shows. Mine seems really high, almost like there is a bug in the app. I have two images on my phone right now (I reset my device thinking it might help) and currently ram is using 128mb, more than any other app. However, I've seen it as high as 500+mb with the same amount of photos. Something definitely doesn't seem right but I'm just curious what your usage shows (fyi just holding home button and clicking the graph button to see this).

Regarding the sd card, nope, just using the built in storage. I don't even have an sd card in the device.

ripper2020

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I'd give an update. It appears to be a bug with samsungs nearby devices service. If you have a plex media server running on your local network and UPNP enabled in your router, whenever you open gallery it starts trying to sync with Plex. I'm not sure what it's trying to sync as I don't have plex set to server photos, only video. There are several posts around the web that allude to this, but theres no solid fix besides rooting device and disabling / turning off this samsung service. I doubt it's something samsung will ever fix. Ruins the experience of an otherwise awesome phone.

Here's the most thorough post on the subject I could find, but I've found ones dating back to 2012 - edit: apparently I can't post links yet so sorry about that.

shrubby

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a T-Mo N3 also and for some reason the gallery won't see the internal sd card any more.
It sees all my file on the ext sd card no problem and i've even done a cache clear and app clear too.
My guess is another app messed it up.
Still running MI7 that came with it, but i'll probably going to load NF4 soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci