T-Mobile note 3 with Att Sim.

SupersoNick_95

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
My friend has a note 3 with T-Mobile branding and is offering to sell it to me. Will this phone work with an Att Sim? I want to either update it to lollipop of install cyanogen mod.

Moto X 2013 GSM Dev. Ed.

josney

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
from my experience, the phone will need to be unlocked to work with the att sim and you will no longer be able to update the phone OTA. my girl had to do the same for her att note 3 when she moved to tmobile. I am guessing the best thing would be to root the phone

SupersoNick_95

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
What if I update the phone to lollipop while its on T-Mobile, then unlock it? Will it still have lollipop? And how would I unlock it?

Moto X 2013 GSM Dev. Ed.

josney

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I would think that would work for you, but I am a long ways away from an expert. we purchased an unlock code online and the tmobile place performed the unlocking steps when she picked up her tmobile sim card. I would like to be able to update her phone also, but not really sure how I could do it other than rooting.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
<---jealous. (The locked bootloader in the AT&T version makes life difficult.)

Yes, it will work, once it's unlocked.

No, you can't get an OTA update unless it's currently on an active TMobile plan.

You can, however, manually update it with a captured update file (see T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 Android Development - XDA Forums) any time there's an update. (I wouldn't put 5.0-5.0.2 in, though - they didn't fix the memory leak until 5.1.)

And you can put any TMobile Note 3 Cyanogen ROM into it any time you want. (I'd also put TWRP in it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34