T-Mobile is officially getting the Galaxy S4 on May 1 for $99 Down Payment

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
So you're really paying 579 for the device. 20 bones a month for 24 months, plus the 99 down payment.

Bend over and grab your ankles.

What'd you think they were gonna do? Give people $600 phones for $100 and hope for the best? What do you think other carriers do when they offer 649.99$ phones for 199.99$ on contract? They get what they lose back through that lovely 24 month contract.

Is this news to people? Buy the phone outright and just pay for the service if you want to save money every month. On contract or financing a phone through T-Mobile is the same thing, getting f*cked every month with high cost service.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
True enough... but I don't think anyone has asked if you buy the GS4 for $99, AND are NOT on a contract, but decide to leave after say 6 months... do you really think there is no early termination in some form??? I'm absolutely sure you are going to have to pay the remaining balance on what you owe for the phone... think about it.

Return the device or get billed for the remaining balance. T-Mobile has done this before, its nothing new to them.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Return the device or get billed for the remaining balance. T-Mobile has done this before, its nothing new to them.

And I would hope people Dont think, because its not on contract, that they get to phone and no bill for the remaining balance if they decide to stop service. The phone can still be turned off from T-Mobile service, its a T-Mobile phone after all.

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of giving tmo a shot, want to wait till they start using metros network after the merge is final. Their 4.5 gb plan would be 70 bucks, assuming they'll give no discounts, that is about what I pay on sprint, less my insurance. Just not sure it's a great deal when you add 20+10+taxes for phone payment and insurance. ...looking at about $110 a month total....sprint I pay $81 a month, with insurance and 20% discount....if tmo has a 20% discount possible for these new uncarrier plans.....an s4 on tmo could be in my future. Kinda iffy on their network here, really don't want to switch from one crappy network to another and not looking to pay as much or more on vz or att to get less.

I want an s4 but is this all worth it? Idk

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
What'd you think they were gonna do? Give people $600 phones for $100 and hope for the best? What do you think other carriers do when they offer 649.99$ phones for 199.99$ on contract? They get what they lose back through that lovely 24 month contract.

Is this news to people? Buy the phone outright and just pay for the service if you want to save money every month. On contract or financing a phone through T-Mobile is the same thing, getting f*cked every month with high cost service.

Who said anything about getting a 600 plus buck phone for 100? Your still paying 579 (plus tax) for the device, plus the monthly plan cost for 24 months. At least with AT&T and Verizon, you get the device for 199 (plus tax), then the monthly plan for 24 months. Pretty easy math to me. Paying that much with T-MO, you might as well suck it up and pay full retail and not be locked into a contract.

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Who said anything about getting a 600 plus buck phone for 100? Your still paying 579 (plus tax) for the device, plus the monthly plan cost for 24 months. At least with AT&T and Verizon, you get the device for 199 (plus tax), then the monthly plan for 24 months. Pretty easy math to me. Paying that much with T-MO, you might as well suck it up and pay full retail and not be locked into a contract.

Yeah I much rather finance it from the vendor. And not a carrier and pay way cheaper monthly rate. It's the same BS, but just under a different name lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
True enough... but I don't think anyone has asked if you buy the GS4 for $99, AND are NOT on a contract, but decide to leave after say 6 months... do you really think there is no early termination in some form??? I'm absolutely sure you are going to have to pay the remaining balance on what you owe for the phone... think about it.

At least with T-Mo you're able to leave after 6 months.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What people don't understand here is that T-Mobile is the good guy. Yes, they're trying to trick you, but the service is still much cheaper. Plus, there isn't any contract. Here's an example comparing the four carriers with an S4 for 2 years. Let's assume the phone is $199 on-contract for the big three.

Plans

T-Mobile: Unlimited, unthrottled everything
Sprint: Unlimited, unthrottled everything
AT&T: Unlimited mins and text, 10GB data
Verizon: Unlimited mins and text, 10GB data

Price

T-Mobile: $99+$20/month (phone)+$70/month (plan)=$2259
Sprint: $199+$110/month=$2739
AT&T: $199+$150/month=$3799
Verizon: $199+$140/month=$3559.

Yell0w

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
So you're really paying 579 for the device. 20 bones a month for 24 months, plus the 99 down payment.

Bend over and grab your ankles.

Does anyone know if it is $579 flat or will we be charged tax as well?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
There's still a contract with T-Mobile. You still have to sign your name on a contract that says you're going to pay the phone off with monthly payments for 24 mths or if you cancel before the contract is up that you'll pay for the phone until its paid in full. They're not just going to take your word for it and have no way of holding you accountable. Different name, same game as already stated. You're still tied down for 2 years, only difference is T-Mobile has a little more clever way of hiding the contract. The phone is the contract instead of giving you an contract right there on the spot.

So yeah, it's better to buy unlocked and then get a plan that way you're not actually tied down to T-Mobile.

Last edited:

BarackOdrama

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
There's still a contract with T-Mobile. You still have to sign your name on a contract that says you're going to pay the phone off with monthly payments for 24 mths or if you cancel before the contract is up that you'll pay for the phone until its paid in full.

You actually have to pay for the phone in full after you cancel. There is no option to keep paying payments.

If I cancel my service, what happens to my Equipment Installment Plan balance?
If you elect to cancel service, all remaining installment charges will appear on your final bill.

Equipment Installment Plan: Billing Support | T-Mobile

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
In reality it's 90 bucks + tax if you want everything unlimited. Which brings you to 100-105. Which is the same thing if you go with one of the other carriers but it's not. 99 instead of 249.99(at&t) but capped at the tiers, and no Contract. You still have to sign a "contract" for the phone but not the plan. It is still a better option because it is unlimited and the phone is only 99.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
In reality it's 90 bucks + tax if you want everything unlimited. Which brings you to 100-105. Which is the same thing if you go with one of the other carriers but it's not. 99 instead of 249.99(at&t) but capped at the tiers, and no Contract. You still have to sign a "contract" for the phone but not the plan. It is still a better option because it is unlimited and the phone is only 99.

What T-Mobile's phones are to T-Mobile under this new plan, is what contracts are to the other carriers. The phone is the contract. You still have to sign on for two years and you still have to pay an early termination fee if you break the contract. The phone is $99 but they end up getting nearly around the same amount for the phone as other carriers because of the $20 monthly charge. You aren't saving money because of the $99, you're saving money because of the plan. No one else is offering unlimited everything at the low price of $70.

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
What T-Mobile's phones are to T-Mobile under this new plan, is what contracts are to the other carriers. The phone is the contract. You still have to sign on for two years and you still have to pay an early termination fee if you break the contract. The phone is $99 but they end up getting nearly around the same amount for the phone as other carriers because of the $20 monthly charge. You aren't saving money because of the $99, you're saving money because of the plan. No one else is offering unlimited everything at the low price of $70.

You dont get my point. Its 90 dollars + tax including the "monthly payment" of the phone. I clearly stated that you're not signing a contract on the plan but the phone, if you decide to leave T-Mobile you're still liable for the remainder of the phone price.

If you do the math it is cheaper to go that route because 99 dollars down. Plus 90 a month (including the monthly fee) + taxes is better than 249.99(at&t price) 2 year contract price + the same monthly plan, and you're not tied up in a contract and when you do want to switch all you do is pay the remainder of the phone.

Don't get confused. I know what I'm talking about.

You pretty much are saving 150 bucks and have everything unlimited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

emg75189

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I look at it this way, $99 down and I can pay off my phone as soon as I want. Send a extra $100 here and there and it paid off in no time. There by not having to be on contract for the whole two years. I can switch carriers or get a new phone and my month bill drops a little.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
You dont get my point. Its 90 dollars + tax including the "monthly payment" of the phone. I clearly stated that you're not signing a contract on the plan but the phone, if you decide to leave T-Mobile you're still liable for the remainder of the phone price.

If you do the math it is cheaper to go that route because 99 dollars down. Plus 90 a month (including the monthly fee) + taxes is better than 249.99(at&t price) 2 year contract price + the same monthly plan, and you're not tied up in a contract and when you do want to switch all you do is pay the remainder of the phone.

Don't get confused. I know what I'm talking about.

You pretty much are saving 150 bucks and have everything unlimited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

You might want to reconfigure your math now from the $249 point. I get your point and I'm not confused, we're basically saying the same things.

But I can rest easier at night knowing that you know what you're doing. Thanks.

AZDROIDX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
FYI for all the above asking if there are taxes after the $99, yes and it will be taxes based on the FULL RETAIL price. I just changes my Tmobile plan (1000 Classic) for my 3 kids and went ahead and ordered a Nexus 4 at $49 for my son and total was closer to $100 for it. And it does have a fine print saying taxes are paid upfront based on RETAIL PRICE. I'll be getting an S4 for my daughter too as soon as that hits Tmobile.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I look at it this way, $99 down and I can pay off my phone as soon as I want. Send a extra $100 here and there and it paid off in no time. There by not having to be on contract for the whole two years. I can switch carriers or get a new phone and my month bill drops a little.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums

Or just buy it outright and be done with it. :D

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
What people don't understand here is that T-Mobile is the good guy. Yes, they're trying to trick you, but the service is still much cheaper. Plus, there isn't any contract. Here's an example comparing the four carriers with an S4 for 2 years. Let's assume the phone is $199 on-contract for the big three.

Plans

T-Mobile: Unlimited, unthrottled everything
Sprint: Unlimited, unthrottled everything
AT&T: Unlimited mins and text, 10GB data
Verizon: Unlimited mins and text, 10GB data

Price

T-Mobile: $99+$20/month (phone)+$70/month (plan)=$2259
Sprint: $199+$110/month=$2739
AT&T: $199+$150/month=$3799
Verizon: $199+$140/month=$3559.

Who on earth pays that much on ATT? I surely would not. I do not know anyone who pay that much for their bill...With free mobile to mobile and rollover minutes, who needs unlimited minutes? I have unlimited LTE and almost 3000 roll over minutes that I will never use. Also have a corporate discount. My last bill was $69.88 complete. Nothing against T mobile but not everyone gets ripped a new one by ATT... so $1039 for me when I get the S4 yeah!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-03-22-28-46.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-03-22-28-46.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci