1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to completely disable mobile data from being turned on?

I don't have a mobile data plan. We're waiting for my parents' contract to be up until we get a family plan. Anyways, mobile data keeps turning itself on for some reason and then AT&T keeps charging us $40 each month. And it's really annoying, as we're not rich (we got this phone off a family friend). Is there a way I could disable/keep it from being turned on any under circumstance unless I (the user) turn it on myself?

Global Posts
    13,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: How to completely disable mobile data from being turned on?

Quote Originally Posted by xD4rk View Post
    I don't have a mobile data plan. We're waiting for my parents' contract to be up until we get a family plan. Anyways, mobile data keeps turning itself on for some reason and then AT&T keeps charging us $40 each month. And it's really annoying, as we're not rich (we got this phone off a family friend). Is there a way I could disable/keep it from being turned on any under circumstance unless I (the user) turn it on myself?
    Welcome to the forums!
    Try turning Airplane Mode on. That should kill all power to the radios. And unless AT&T didn't do anything stupid to the ROM, it should stay that way.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you!
    But that also disables all things cell-related. I use this phone on a plan, just not one with mobile data. So I need to just disable mobile data. Thanks for trying to help though.

Just go into settings and turns mobile data off.

Or you can call AT&T and ask them to put a data block on your line.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes, but the problem is, it turns itself on. We tried calling AT&T and they said that its what the phone is supposed to do and they can't disable it. When asked if we could, they said "I don't know."

Go to settings > connections > mobile data and deselect the mobile data check box. Next, go to settings > more connections > mobile networks and deselect mobile data and data roaming. That should do it.

Posted via Android Central App

I have yet to purchase a GS4 (waiting for VZW contract end to switch to T-Mobile), but I use a Widget on my Droid Bionic (and all other Androids) to enable/disable the Mobile Data:

It's always worked well for me.