Why does my S4 think I'm in Albuquerque NM??

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I live in Greenville, SC, and from time to time, my phone - both on BeWeather and Google - thinks I'm in Albuquerque NM! What the heck is up with that?? Yet when I go to my Weather Underground app, it shows the weather for where I actually am. Currently, in my office, I'm using my office WiFi and calls are over the WiFi, too. But it's done this at a location where I had my data and signal as well. Gotta be something with the GPS?

Anybody else run in to this or have any ideas?? I have nothing against the fine city of Albuquerque, but I simply don't care what the weather is there!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you have GPS on but your phone cannot get a lock on a signal, it's taking your approximate location from your network signal. The problem with that is that it's only an approximation and is greatly based on the carrier's cell tower information. Sometimes this information can lead apps to think you're actually somewhere else. When this happens, can you see your exact location on a map? Or do you see the big, blue circle around it in Google Maps?

PS: Using WiFi is usually more accurate than cell tower signals because routers seldom move, and the signal and information can only come from a far narrower area around it.

Medfordhouse

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes when on wifi the Internet ISP location gets selected rather than where your routers physical location actually is. Mine sometimes jumps me from Massachusetts to the UK at work. Have you looked into your wifi access point, router and or modems settings to see if they have the option to add a geolocation?

Posted via Android Central App

sheiladaughtry

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I live in Greenville, SC, and from time to time, my phone - both on BeWeather and Google - thinks I'm in Albuquerque NM! What the heck is up with that?? Yet when I go to my Weather Underground app, it shows the weather for where I actually am. Currently, in my office, I'm using my office WiFi and calls are over the WiFi, too. But it's done this at a location where I had my data and signal as well. Gotta be something with the GPS?

Anybody else run in to this or have any ideas?? I have nothing against the fine city of Albuquerque, but I simply don't care what the weather is there!

sheiladaughtry

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes! Mine does! It happens when I try to access Accuweather. It happens at home, work, out of town, out of state, EVERYWHERE! I keep resetting it and it resets back to Albuquerque. I like Albuquerque, but it is not anywhere near my city or state!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech