- 537 Posts
Why does my S4 think I'm in Albuquerque NM??
I live in Greenville, SC, and from time to time, my phone - both on BeWeather and Google - thinks I'm in Albuquerque NM! What the heck is up with that?? Yet when I go to my Weather Underground app, it shows the weather for where I actually am. Currently, in my office, I'm using my office WiFi and calls are over the WiFi, too. But it's done this at a location where I had my data and signal as well. Gotta be something with the GPS?
Anybody else run in to this or have any ideas?? I have nothing against the fine city of Albuquerque, but I simply don't care what the weather is there!Palm Treo 755 --> Rooted Droid Eris --> Rooted HTC Thunderdud --> 2012 Google Nexus 7 and rooted Samsung Galaxy S4
- 10-09-2013, 03:22 PM #2
Re: Why does my S4 think I'm in Albuquerque NM??
If you have GPS on but your phone cannot get a lock on a signal, it's taking your approximate location from your network signal. The problem with that is that it's only an approximation and is greatly based on the carrier's cell tower information. Sometimes this information can lead apps to think you're actually somewhere else. When this happens, can you see your exact location on a map? Or do you see the big, blue circle around it in Google Maps?
PS: Using WiFi is usually more accurate than cell tower signals because routers seldom move, and the signal and information can only come from a far narrower area around it.
- By barakbarlevi in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 1Last Post: 11-03-2013, 11:13 AM
- By emiinn in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 4Last Post: 10-12-2013, 02:26 PM
- By NEIL CHARLES ROBERTS in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Google EditionReplies: 4Last Post: 10-09-2013, 03:35 PM
- By NJRonbo in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 0Last Post: 10-09-2013, 02:20 PM
- By golibano in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 0Last Post: 10-09-2013, 02:13 PM