Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Default Galaxy S4: How's your battery life?

I know that there's this old thread about battery life, but as I just mentioned, it's a bit old.

I'm thinking about getting a Galaxy S4 on T-Mobile. My only concern is battery life. From what I've researched, it should generally be solid, but my personal experience with an iPhone, going from AT&T to T-Mobile, battery life took a big nosedive immediately (but that's only really with Wi-Fi off, so using mobile data, almost LTE all the time, I would never come even remotely close to the rated battery life when on LTE, but that's a different topic).

So, how's battery life on the T-Mobile Galaxy S4 (when using it on T-Mobile, of course)? Please state if you're rooted/unrooted, using a custom ROM, on the latest available version of Android for the phone or not, etc.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-22-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: How's your battery life?

This is on the stock ROM but it was on 4.2.2

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S4: How's your battery life?-1389935437160.jpg   Galaxy S4: How's your battery life?-1389935452273.jpg  
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

This was on a custom ROM

The battery is better than the iPhone 5 for sure. At least from my experience
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S4: How's your battery life?-1389935491035.jpg   Galaxy S4: How's your battery life?-1389935500633.jpg  
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    This is on the stock ROM but it was on 4.2.2

Those numbers don't seem too bad. The person the GS4 will be for will primarily use an IM app and that's about it.

I read that the 4.3 update might have a bit of a battery drain problem.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
    Those numbers don't seem too bad. The person the GS4 will be for will primarily use an IM app and that's about it.

I read that the 4.3 update might have a bit of a battery drain problem.
    The few people I know haven't had an issue with that, in fact, some saw better idle drain.
    If they don't have the drain, it should be enough to last a full day

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

The few people I know haven't had an issue with that, in fact, some saw better idle drain.
    If they don't have the drain, it should be enough to last a full day

Awesome! Thanks for the help.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

So, the first day of use resulted in about 14.5 hours of total unplug time. The screen on time was nearly 6 hours, which was odd, because the phone was barely used throughout the day (very light usage).

Is the GS4's battery similar to the N5's, where it usually takes 2-3 days (or charging cycles) to start working normally?

Am hoping for there to be at least 20% by the end of the day, not <5%.

Also, the phone runs 4.2.2. The 4.3 update doesn't show up, so I'm assuming T-Mobile and/or Samsung took it down (I think I read somewhere that that's what they did).
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Pretty impressive numbers for day 2:

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Pretty impressive numbers for day 2:
    http://imageshack.com/a/img19/3717/babw.jpg
    Nice. Screen time?

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Nice. Screen time?

52 minutes. At that rate, you'd get maybe 4.8 hours of screen on time. Looking at it like that, these numbers aren't that great. Although it seems fantastic for mostly being standby.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

52 minutes. At that rate, you'd get maybe 4.8 hours of screen on time. Looking at it like that, these numbers aren't that great. Although it seems fantastic for mostly being standby.
    5 hours of screen time, with almost 50 hours of stand-by. That is really good, haven't seen any phone do this. If you used it more heavily, say 20 or so hours you could get around 6 hours, which again is amazing. Not many phones can do that

I signed on with Tmobile last week choosing LG G2 , Its a great device but thinking about GS4.
    Lots of talk about not so good batt life & Sammy signal strength issue so that's making me nervous.
    Good to see 5 hour screen on time achieved , Any input on Sammy S4 signal strength would be much appreciated.
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slingbox View Post
    I signed on with Tmobile last week choosing LG G2 , Its a great device but thinking about GS4.
    Lots of talk about not so good batt life & Sammy signal strength issue so that's making me nervous.
    Good to see 5 hour screen on time achieved , Any input on Sammy S4 signal strength would be much appreciated.
    From what I understand, the GS4 is one of the best phones for T-Mobile, at least in terms of the way it operates with them. Battery life is decent. The only device I have to compare it to is an iPhone 5s, and the GS4 always reports better raw signal readings, usually by at least -8dB.