Alaskan carrier disabled system update...

jessman1988

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. Big issue here. I live in Alaska and my carrier, gci has the sgh m919 with 4.2.2 but they installed some crap ware and there's no ota option through the settings. Instead they have an app that searches for updates and never finds one. I already have it rooted but I love my s4 so much I just want the next official update. Now I know I could use odin to flash it but what are the odds of getting a bootloop or something if I don't want to go through titanium backup and preform a straight update with my existing data? Is there a faster method to restore data now or perhaps a stable custom rom with the air gestures and such fully functioning? I really wanted kit kat but 4.3 would be nice if you think a quick and dirty update would work. In short, is the custom stuff that came preinstalled going to mess with an official update or is getting all my stuff restored inevitable through titanium. Kies won't even show that my phone has an update available so any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone. Big issue here. I live in Alaska and my carrier, gci has the sgh m919 with 4.2.2 but they installed some crap ware and there's no ota option through the settings. Instead they have an app that searches for updates and never finds one. I already have it rooted but I love my s4 so much I just want the next official update. Now I know I could use odin to flash it but what are the odds of getting a bootloop or something if I don't want to go through titanium backup and preform a straight update with my existing data? Is there a faster method to restore data now or perhaps a stable custom rom with the air gestures and such fully functioning? I really wanted kit kat but 4.3 would be nice if you think a quick and dirty update would work. In short, is the custom stuff that came preinstalled going to mess with an official update or is getting all my stuff restored inevitable through titanium. Kies won't even show that my phone has an update available so any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

well, yes you could use odin to flash !! And in order to save your self from getting stuck inside the boot loop you need to follow all the steps carefully !!

jessman1988

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. But I was wondering if I could just update over my 4.2.2 firmware without wiping or if the carrier installed extras would require me to wipe the data?