T-Mobile Galaxy S4: Official KitKat 4.4.2 Update Discussion Thread

SHAKIL MARUF

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I have aS4 in the Atlanta area and I am having the same issue. Doesn't matter if I am using Google Navigator or Scout. GAS navigation has become unusable after the Kit Kat update.

Posted via Android Central App

Very frustrating situation for me here in the Twin Cities. GPS was perfect with 4.3 and now with even 11 satellites fix out of 24 visible, it doesn't lock under 10 minutes. Today I tested it next to my old Motorola Photon 4G and it took just 5 secs for the Moto to lock and be ready for navigation with just 7 satellites.

I have followed all the directions regarding resetting a-gps and downloading new data but it didn't make an iota of difference. It's a Kitkat issue and nothing to do with S4 hardware. Hope T-Mobile gives us a patch to fix this and other problems.

DmytroK

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone, I just updated my Samsung Galaxy S4 for KitKat 4.4.2 and found out that my WiFi option can not be tuned on. I tried factory reset, to take out of the phone the battery, nothing resolved the issue. Also I noticed that I was not able to make any changes to the screen lock optin. It only shows two option; pin and password, but not swap, pattern, or face unlock. I really ask you guys: help me please to resolve this issue.:'(
Thank you very much!!!

dwneylonsr

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Since KK I've been having a rather strange problem. I had the Yahoo Weather widget on my home screen and it disappeared after the update. And now I apparently cannot place a weather or clock widget on my home screen. No error message, just doesn't appear. I've tried this now with Yahoo Weather, Weather Bug, TWC and DashClock.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Since KK I've been having a rather strange problem. I had the Yahoo Weather widget on my home screen and it disappeared after the update. And now I apparently cannot place a weather or clock widget on my home screen. No error message, just doesn't appear. I've tried this now with Yahoo Weather, Weather Bug, TWC and DashClock.

I have some widgets too--Resizeable Cal Widget and HD widgets for other things like Weather. All of the latter (hd widgets) were fine, but the Cal widget completely disappeared, including from the app drawer. I had to reinstall the Cal widget.. Once reinstalled--not just replaced from the app drawer but completely reinstalled from Play Store---it came right back with all old settings restored, too.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I have some widgets too--Resizeable Cal Widget and HD widgets for other things like Weather. All of the latter (hd widgets) were fine, but the Cal widget completely disappeared, including from the app drawer. I had to reinstall the Cal widget.. Once reinstalled--not just replaced from the app drawer but completely reinstalled from Play Store---it came right back with all old settings restored, too.

@dwneylonsr have you tried to restart your phone? I have heard that fixed the issue for some people on this thread.

I just installed the update..Kind of funky how the screen doesn't move up to reveal the camera below (like the iPhone does) I would never know until the phone unlocks that I opened the camera app. Just a weird bug.

As far as the colors go, I love them. I prefer dark backgrounds (favorite color is black) so the white doesn't bother me but I can see how it could bother some people but no one likes change apparently. iPhone gets iOS7 with all of those color changes and I've read people's anger on those colors (I don't like them b/c they are too neon for me) then they come out with 7.1 with darker colors and that helped a bit...
Maybe in the future Google will come out with darker colors...more grey-ish white and darker greys and such. Just a thought. Nothing we can control though so no need to get mad about it...especially when it was reported before they even released the update to the google version of the S4 or released the Nexus 5. Those angry people could have avoided it but they don't want to hear that. ;)

I charged up my battery during the update (it needed to be charged anyway) and just finished installing and charging 16 minutes ago and it's gone down 3%...the only thing causing it is the screen cause it has been on for 10 of those 16 minutes. I don't see a bad battery drain but I'll have to wait.
I'm glad this update came out because it does seem like my service is better. I actually just got my S4 replaced because of the data service. I would have no service whatsoever (couldn't even make calls) and my mom's S3 would have 4GLTE and they would be sitting right next to each other. I hope this fixes the issue. I'm tired of these issues I've been having and if it doesn't get fixed I'm leaving Android for iOS because I just want a phone that works like it is supposed to and Android isn't reliable...I don't even see the Nexus 5 being reliable like that. Idk what it is about Android but it just doesn't seem as reliable as iOS/Apple. Maybe it's cause apple has stores and whatnot? Again, not sure.

Anyway, back to the update, didn't have to do a restart on my phone as all of my apps are working fine and everything. Can't test the GPS yet because I don't have any use for it plus it is very cloudy where I am at. Overall, glad I finally got it.

P.S. I've been dying for this update just so I can say I have KitKat. My favorite version of Android because it is my favorite candy as well. Stupid I know but, hey, it's a free update, who cares?! Lol

Doug Fitton

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Im having issues with gps and thats about it.
My gps would pick up in a about a min and now it takes 3 to to 4 or sometime it just wont. Anyone else have this issue

Milehigh

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
In Denver, GPS is slow as well... is there discussion anywhere else about this issue? Is a fix being discussed?

Im having issues with gps and thats about it.
My gps would pick up in a about a min and now it takes 3 to to 4 or sometime it just wont. Anyone else have this issue

Salman Bhatti1

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile Galaxy S4 : Official KitKat 4.4.2 Update Discussion Thread

After update, my emails are not synchronising and working..
Secondly it shows wrong temperature, firstly I don't have to update the temp setting BT now it's troubling
Please help me out in this regard.
Thanks

Last edited:

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
After a few days I've noticed one issue. One of my games doesn't recognize the microphone anymore...

Oh & the keyboard (use the google keyboard mostly) lags A LOT. I can continue typing and after about 5 seconds it catches up and continues anything I type but it is annoying.

Other than that, all of the rest of the phone seems to work fine. Again, haven't been able to test the GPS yet.

dwneylonsr

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
@dwneylonsr have you tried to restart your phone? I have heard that fixed the issue for some people on this thread.

Yes, I've restarted numerous times. Uninstalled and re-installed the apps. The widget just refuses to be created. I did find one called "Weather and Clock Widget" that works, but it's not great looking. Is there any error log I can look at that might give me more information?

besweeet

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Finally getting ready to update someone's T-Mobile GS4 from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2. Software update says this:
MEqCdWw.png

The phone is only rooted via CF-Auto-Root. All I did after rooting was try and install a system notes app from an LG phone, with no success. Should updating via Kies result in a clean update? Would hate for it to install the update only for everything to get wiped or the phone not boot up anymore at all.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Finally getting ready to update someone's T-Mobile GS4 from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2. Software update says this:
http://i.imgur.com/MEqCdWw.png

The phone is only rooted via CF-Auto-Root. All I did after rooting was try and install a system notes app from an LG phone, with no success. Should updating via Kies result in a clean update? Would hate for it to install the update only for everything to get wiped or the phone not boot up anymore at all.

You need to unroot first and then you should be able to update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've restarted numerous times. Uninstalled and re-installed the apps. The widget just refuses to be created. I did find one called "Weather and Clock Widget" that works, but it's not great looking. Is there any error log I can look at that might give me more information?

I'm not sure...sorry! Try factory resetting and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pcso2454

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile Galaxy S4 : Official KitKat 4.4.2 Update Discussion Thread

Since the update my phone has been very slow... especially when swyping during a text. I've also noticed other issues such as the phone not unlocking after pressing the home buttone, trying to swype it open (no passcode) it freezes for about 10-20 seconds before finally getting to the home screen. what is going on?!?!?! I'm about to throw my phone thru a wall! I don't want to do a factory reset on it and I know if I call tech support that's what they're going to tell me to do.

any suggestions?